Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:53:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya  (Read 380118 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya
« Reply #465 on: October 06, 2013, 08:50:33 AM »
Thank you Mason, encouraging words which keeps one going.
I don't know if you noticed but I am modestly proud of this idea...

Finding the bull whip of this Copplestone Not-Famouses-Movie-Rouge-Archeologist rather unconvincing I came up with this, in Hammers world, world famous thanatophidologist, who has by some odd ways latched himself on to the Arumbaya expedition. His famous catch phrase is: "Snakes! I eat them for breakfast!"
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:47:35 PM by Hammers »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #466 on: October 06, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »
I am fed up with my fucking piece of shit camera. It is all auto settings and feels cheap and plastic to boot. What's the latest in affordable macro photography? Price range €300 tops?

I actually haven't been taking a lot of pictures of miniatures of late. But having taken pictures of goldsmithing work I have to say it appears that modern smartphones take better pictures of small objects then cameras. Makes sense as well, smartphones are used to take pictures of say text and the like and are build to suit that use, while cameras are generally used for larger shots.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #467 on: October 06, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »
I actually haven't been taking a lot of pictures of miniatures of late. But having taken pictures of goldsmithing work I have to say it appears that modern smartphones take better pictures of small objects then cameras. Makes sense as well, smartphones are used to take pictures of say text and the like and are build to suit that use, while cameras are generally used for larger shots.

So I have heard but not tried. One immediate problem is that smartphones, as far as I know do not come with a tripod fitting, which is something I am used to and find handy.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #468 on: October 06, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »
His famous catch phrase is: "Snakes! I eat them for breakfast!"

Now that is genius!
Great execution of a brilliant idea.
 8) :-* 8)

The rest of the crew are damn fine, too, of course.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #469 on: October 06, 2013, 10:57:47 AM »
Peder, that is a truly wonderful collection of many of Copplestone's best character figures.
Top work. What a great-looking bunch of desperadoes and daredevils :-*

The snake is ingenious and brilliantly executed. You're right to feel proud of that - hilarious and clever at the same time  :)

Cameras: I use a Canon Powershot A720. Think it was about £150 GBP about 3 - 4 years back? It has macro, and also (most importantly) manual settings for focal length, depth of field etc etc. Most compact cameras do not have these capabilities. Overall, it's pretty good for producing reasonable quality miniatures photography.
Obviously, the likes of Kev Dallimore and other luminaries use pukka digital SLRs with expensive macro lenses - and the results are proportionately a lot better. I have seriously considered going down that route, because you really can see the difference a top-notch camera makes to the clarity and texture of miniatures photography.
There again, I think you're talking several hundred pounds for a good digital SLR camera, and at least a couple of hundred more for a super-duper lens... So maybe I'll just keep spending my money on beer instead  ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #470 on: October 06, 2013, 11:36:02 AM »
Peder, that is a truly wonderful collection of many of Copplestone's best character figures.
Top work. What a great-looking bunch of desperadoes and daredevils :-*

The snake is ingenious and brilliantly executed. You're right to feel proud of that - hilarious and clever at the same time  :)

Cameras: I use a Canon Powershot A720. Think it was about £150 GBP about 3 - 4 years back? It has macro, and also (most importantly) manual settings for focal length, depth of field etc etc. Most compact cameras do not have these capabilities. Overall, it's pretty good for producing reasonable quality miniatures photography.
Obviously, the likes of Kev Dallimore and other luminaries use pukka digital SLRs with expensive macro lenses - and the results are proportionately a lot better. I have seriously considered going down that route, because you really can see the difference a top-notch camera makes to the clarity and texture of miniatures photography.
There again, I think you're talking several hundred pounds for a good digital SLR camera, and at least a couple of hundred more for a super-duper lens... So maybe I'll just keep spending my money on beer instead  ;)

Thanks Richard, and for the advice.

I have a digital SLR, and aged old thing, Canon EOS D30, but you get vasts amount of resolution for a fraction of what I gave for it 7 years ago plus white balance settings has come much further since that model. I therefore am reluctant to invest more into that piece of hardware.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #471 on: October 06, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
Remember this?

Well, based on this set of images...

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=29611.msg392088#msg392088

...like so...

..I have painted my barge thusly...

...starting with a base coat of black, spray on layers of burnt umber, terracotta, brick red and tan in lighter coats successively. I topped it all of with watered down black stain and brush on rust powders in selected places. The growth of algae alomg the waterline is my own flock mixture, I may darken it with stain later.

The whole thing is to be tarted up with tyre fenders, chain, cable, adventurers luggage, loot and what have you. That'll be fun, coming up with stuff they nicked, causing the natives to wax wroth.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:51:42 PM by Hammers »

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #472 on: October 06, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »
Does this mean that you've either found some more pics of a project that you've forgotten about in all the real life hassles, or, does it mean that you're picking up the ball on this once again? :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #473 on: October 06, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »
I am liking this idea for tarting up the barge.
It seems like a good way of really going to town and having some fun with the whole idea.
 8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #474 on: October 07, 2013, 04:38:40 AM »
Does this mean that you've either found some more pics of a project that you've forgotten about in all the real life hassles, or, does it mean that you're picking up the ball on this once again? :)

The latter.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #475 on: October 07, 2013, 06:32:36 AM »
Can I be the first to say 'woo hoo'! :D Welcome back! Now to take my seat in front row for idea stealing! Love the barge!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #476 on: October 07, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »
Those of you who have followed this thread already know that I have nicked many things from various pop-culture sources, most notably

Tintin...

...Indiana Jones...

...and Corto Maltese...

I have with particular crude insensitivity typical of Westerner with a boyish enthusiasm for the exotic heathens I have based my natives on fictional Arumbayas (Tintin)...

...hovitos (
Indiana: Too bad the Hovitos don't know you the way I do, Belloq. Belloq: Yes, too bad. You could warn them... if only you spoke Hovitos!
)...

....and a mixture of jivaros, botocudos, tupi, jibito, chachapoyan (just like Hergé and Spielberg/Lucas did).

Yesterday I was triggered to contemplate what to fill the adventurers barge with. Apart from tools, weapons and camp gear, loot is the obvious answers. The internet is truly a wonderful thing but, my God, it can surely set ones mind in high gear when it comes to inspiration.

The South American templed loote by IJ in the RotLA is inspired by Chachapoyan (wonderful name) findings in the higher Amazonas region of Peru. Chugging along with that train of thought I came across these wonderful images...

..wonderful sarchophagi, some adorned with human sculls...

...mummies wrapped in fetal position...

...wonderfully iconic painted tapestry...

...and fetishes, of which I already own one rather wellknow miniature impression...

Speaking of The Broken Ear, there are other Tintin sources to go to for archeological finds. Who could forget this famous bowler...

...which is based on Inka mummies like this...

Also, see the little statue from Brigade Games, the one to the far right. With a lick of gold paint I could put that to good use...

Can't wait to get home, I am going to sculpt me a mummy...

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #477 on: October 07, 2013, 06:08:48 PM »
Fantastic collection of images, love them.

The whip to snake conversion is a fantastic idea on many levels, great work on it.  :-*
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #478 on: October 07, 2013, 06:21:41 PM »
Lovely stuff. I pretty much finished my floating house and if I was confident that a balsa wood structure would survive the passage to Sweden I'd happily mail it to you.

I'll be in Colombia for a month in a few weeks, I shall keep my eye open for any suitable fetishes for your project.

Terrific work and great images.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #479 on: October 07, 2013, 07:26:02 PM »
It is a shame that you cannot make BLAM this year, as the 'educational' trip would have been perfect for this kind of thing.

By that I mean for inspirational purposes, not that I was suggesting you take any exhibits home with you.
 ;)