Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:43:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Question about Hammock-Netting for you smart folks  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
Question about Hammock-Netting for you smart folks
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:27:30 AM »
The netting along the sides of ships used to stow rolled-up hammocks that they might serve as bulwarks to stop small arms fire is something I see a lot in Napoleonic ships, but not in the pirate ships of the early eighteenth century.  I'm looking at doing something with the period in between, but can't find anything on when this practice started.  You lot are well-informed... anybody know when hammock netting started being used?
Check out THE CROGAN ADVENTURES, a historical adventure graphic novel series available from your local bookstore or comic shop (or, of course, Amazon).  I make 'em.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Question about Hammock-Netting for you smart folks
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »
Fascinating problem you have thrown up there. I did some checks with what I have at hand, but could not find a definitive answer. I would dare, however, to make the following educated guess:

Given that they are in widespread use in the Napoleonic era, but not seen in the early 18th century, the practice might have developed as a countermeasure to carronades becoming more widespread (although IIRC, the French only produced comparable guns from the 1790s). As carronades often fired grapeshot, a point could be made that a protective layer of cloth (the rolled-up hammocks) could stop part of a salvo, depending on the range, similar to cotton bales used in the ACW to protect river boats against small-arms fire.

If this assumption should be true, the hammock nets would probably appear around the late 1770s or 1790s, depending on who "invented" the practice.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:03:01 AM »
Smart folk?  Well, here I am...oh, wait, delusional grandeur disease popping up again!

I have no actual knowledge on this but I wonder if the hammocks above deck had something to do with larger crews than could be accommodated below decks - or maybe something to do with sailing in tropical climates.  Good question and will pay attention to see if anyone has a definitive answer.

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »
Westfalia Chris,

What a clever hypothesis!  I didn't even think to equate the defense with the development of a new offense, even though that's always clearly the way that such things come about.  Thanks!

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 08:23:22 AM »
is there a solution meanwhile?

I like to add, that some pirates might not "sea-borne" for long periods, just get out of their lair, kill some merchants, grab their loads, head hme again and that's it. Also it would need a fairly well drilled crew to put there hammocks in the nettings every day, like I would have had the British fleet expect to do.
So I suppose they really hadn't them at all or at least not often.

best wishes
Drachenklinge
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »
Surprisingly enough, and contrary to popular belive, most of the pirate crews have shown a great deal of seamanship during our history, and even been rather sucsessful at it as well. In the early period (later as well to some extent) they did very well both at sea and above all on land, fighting off larger units of well trained soldiers (both spanish and english one might add). So with that in mind, I would not be surprised if it had been a practice both used and invented by pirate crews.
To run a larger ship you really want a well diciplined crew, well drilled and skilled, privatly run or in naval service.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 11:47:24 PM »
Another way to look at this is that this might have started out as a way to clear more deck space. Slinging things in netting over the side is stuff not under foot on the decks. And it just happened that it also added a buffer to small arm & grape shot.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »
Another way to look at this is that this might have started out as a way to clear more deck space. Slinging things in netting over the side is stuff not under foot on the decks. And it just happened that it also added a buffer to small arm & grape shot.

^^ This, its really how I think it got started.