Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:27:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Your favorite mythos deity  (Read 9479 times)

Offline widgren

• Scientist
Re: Your favorite mythos deity
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 07:30:12 PM »
i love the deep ones and dagon is diety enough for me:)
*blub*

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »
I have always had a lot of love for the Mi-Go, although they are a creature & not a Deity. They have odd motives, talk in a creepy sing-song hum, plus I love the moment when you realize that Akeley was an alien with his face and hands sitting in a chair......SPOOKY!!!!!

Agreed
Plus they've got the brain cases! And when you blast them with a shotgun they explode and you get to draw an item card!

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »
I think, for me, it has to be Ithaqua

The rath of this deity seems to be spreading further south and knocking on the doors of Gloucestershire as I write ....  :o

Ramirez
(waiting for the snow, again)

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »
Second that.

I live in norway, the northern part ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 01:25:34 PM »
I think, for me, it has to be Ithaqua

The rath of this deity seems to be spreading further south and knocking on the doors of Gloucestershire as I write ....  :o

Ramirez
(waiting for the snow, again)

I had to look this fellow up.

Must be the Old One who keeps knocking over my trash cans. I shall set the dogs on him next time.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 05:01:29 PM »
I had to look this fellow up.

Must be the Old One who keeps knocking over my trash cans. I shall set the dogs on him next time.

... and makes my kittens do strange things when it blows their fur the wrong way ...

Offline TheBlueShoggoth

• Librarian
    • Outside The Universe Iteself
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 01:53:29 AM »
Yog-Sothoth! I love that old cosmic-bubblebath of doom :D Azathoth comes in a close second.

Favourite race is the Flying Polyps,  floating asymmetrical militant things = awesome.
Primevel Abyssian - A WIP wargame about alien races in an artificial universe :
http://outsidetheuniverseitself.blogspot.com/
inspired by Olaf Stapledon and Robert L Forward ect

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
  • the rat race is over. the rats won.
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 10:02:51 PM »
Hastur, Hastur, Hastur. The King in Yellow.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 11:44:01 AM »
Favorite deity is probably Azothoth, just because his/its description makes me quasi-suspect it's really the ET version of an anthropomorphized natural force or principle rather than a literal entity.

Most useful is Nyarly, 'cause he's a bit of a swiss army knife, what with his unlimited forms, inscrutable ways, and position as sort of the Apollo of the mythos pantheon. That same flexibility actually makes him boring to me though: his lack of definable anything makes him shallow as a character, and too transparently just a universal plot device. A diobolus ex machina, if you will.

Favorite critter is the Mi-Go. Whisperer in Darkness is probably my favorite Lovecraft story, because I love how despite everything you pretty much end up know nothing for certain at the end: anything or everything the protagonist has seen and heard could've been a lie. The mythos stuff written by later authors, especially the games fluff, tends to assume it's almost all true, but in the story any combination of lies and truth is equally possible, up to and including the possibility that the whole thing is a hoax and the Mi-Go don't exist at all.  o_o

That would seem to make them just as much a Swiss Army Plot Device as Nyarlathotep, but it doesn't: the Mi-Go have got hints of definable form and personality for the imagination to latch onto and run away with. Personally, I like to picture them as affable tricksters (or rather they're not, but that's how they come off to humans because of psychological differences), but anyone elses interpretation is just as "true".

I also like the Polyps for similar reasons: the only things we "know" about them are based on Yithian propaganda, and that doesn't 100% add up with what the protagonist sees/experiences in the latter part of the story. But on the other tentacle, The Yithians seemed to have a somewhat laissez-faire attitude about sharing info, so it may not have been in character for them to lie as such...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:05:33 PM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.