Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:48:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Strange Aeons 18th century mod (v1.2) download and discussion  (Read 6945 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Version 1.2 is now up on my blog!
Version 1.2 includes a lot of changes and tweaks.

Among the changes is the return of Close Combat Bonus to die rolls, this is to make monsters and stuff from the books easier to use. Monster weapons such as claws, teeth etc has kept their CCB but their D+1/+2/+3 has been swapped for a D6/8/10 instead to be in line with the rest of the weapons.

I added a "translation" of standard equipment found on agents and monsters, .45 handgun = Smoothbore musket and so on, The starting Build Points are increased to 18 and there are some other campaign related notes to make the transition between original and modification a bit easier.

The Dexterity bonus when dealing damage with certain weapons have been explained, and overall the rules have been divided into categories to make things easier for the reader.

Light and heavy armor (boiled leather/cuirass) but also included "Warpaint" for humans is in now as well.

Some other minor tweaks have been added, and some quirks straightened out. For instance the critical miss with a ranged weapon has been changed to adding +1 action needed to reload a weapon. This is to make weapons without "Ready" also suffer a penalty.

The length of the rules is pretty much the same, a version history page has been added to keep track of the major changes.

Version 1.1 was downloaded by 114 people to date, which is very cool. I hope that anyone who downloaded the first version will give the 1.2 version a try since this really is a pretty much finished product and the changes added sprung from playtesting the 1.1 rules.

Get the version 1.2 on my blog: http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2011/06/strange-aeons-18th-century-mod-version.html

All further improvements and additions to this mod will be posted both here and on my blog under the "Strange Aeons 18th century" label

You can check out more of my initial notes about this modification and a little battle report of a Mummy and cultists attacking North American settlers on my blog:
http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2011/05/french-indian-cthulhu-wait-what.html

Pictures from the test game:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:35:51 AM by Anatoli »

Offline hummus

• Librarian
Re: French & Indian Cthulhu.... wait what?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:03:11 AM »
please do looks very cool

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
Re: French & Indian Cthulhu.... wait what?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »
Very nice idea!! I like this kind of thing. I´m doing the same but in Colonial period with lost tribes.

Regards.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Strange Aeons 18th century mod download links and discussion
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:15:40 PM »
I hope that my small tweaks will see this modification completed sometime next week. I still need to confer with Uncle Mike's whether or not I'll be able to publish this modification on my blog since it builds upon the Strange Aeons rules.

Better still, twist his arm and make him do it as an official addition to the SA universe  >:D  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »
As you guys can see the thread title has been changed to make it more in line with the name of the modification. I also edited the first post and added the link to where you can find the PDF file.

@ Argonor, I think it would be a nice idea, though the completely changed combat mechanics would not work seamlessly with the rest of the game system. I guess if everything was changed back to just using a D6 it would work. As it is now it uses D4/6/8/10's

Let me first see how far this mod will go with additional features, there will be some heavy playtesting of it again towards this weekend so I might get some new ideas then. At this point you could say that it’s still a rough “beta”.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:07:04 PM »
Played 3 more games using the mod today. I'm currently writing the battle report/summary and edit the pictures (will post them tomorrow). But there will be further changes and I expect to have a version 1.2 that will fix some of the minor (and one major) issue that we ran into today. Other than that it was a blast. Clearly this mode slows down the shooting part of the game, allowing things to get into close combat more often and gear the game towards close combat more than pure shooting.

More about it this soon  :)

Little sneak peak of the touge treshold agent Lieutenant Blücher and his native American "cultists" and a conglomerate stand in model :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »
It should probably not be 'Treshold' as Pres. Wilson formed that agency (unless he chose that name because of something found in The Book of Secrets...  ::)  )

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:19 PM »
Yes, a change of the name Treshold needs to be done as well, but the rules have higher priority. Though I'm very much open to suggestions  :)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 11:28:26 AM »
Continued the testing of my modification yesterday, and found a couple small glitches and a pretty serious typo. C.C. Bonus is really meant to be the damage bonus - facepalm!

Anyways, I'll post and upload version 1.2 which should have taken into account all the quirks we found yesterday.

The game itself was really enjoyable, and extremely violent/bloody! Didn't have time to write proper AAR's for all games but I wrote a quick summary of how the Treshold Agents fared - and posted all the 35 pictures of the actio from all 3  games on my blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2011/06/3-games-of-strange-aeons-18th-century.html

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »
Looks great. Not a time period I would have thought of for cthulhu but it has a real charm. Models look fantastic as always!  :-*

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 01:18:40 AM »
I like the idea. I'm going to test the rules adaption in the future, it sounds very interesting.

And the blood tokens are fantastic  :-*

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 10:34:02 AM »
Thanks guys, as I wrote on my blog there will be a few changes - after which Ithink version 1.2 will be close to the final product  :)

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 10:01:34 AM »
Wow nice Indians... who makes them?
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 10:41:09 AM »
Wow nice Indians... who makes them?

My guess would be Conquest - but I'm not sure?

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 01:01:54 PM »
Yes they are Conquest Miniatures, I bought 2 blisters of indians and 2 blisters of French Marines from Conquest last year. Did so with a friend to split the shipping as it was very expensive.