Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:22:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690324
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Zombies and Paper Terrain  (Read 5665 times)

Offline Ekman

• Schoolboy
My Zombies and Paper Terrain
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:10:23 AM »
Figured I should get around to making a contribution before my account gets deleted again  ::)

I made a start on some paper terrain and 1/72 figures for zombie gaming.  I've painted WH40k minis but this is the first time I've done something to this scale (...see what I did there?).  Sadly it's fallen by the wayside but I got it all out today to snap some photos.  Nothing special here, just something to give you a fix of zombie goodness.

The terrain is partly World Works Games, which I started before realizing how much work and precision cutting their kits require, and partly some free completed stuff I found on the internet which I then designed my own interiors for.  I was surprised by how much fun interior designing was. I think if I continue this project I'll go with making complete buildings, rather than go for WWG's modular approach, which I've decided is more hassle than it's worth (both constructing and setting up).  I totally lack the patience to make paper models look good though.  For this shoot I didn't bother connecting all of the road tiles so the city is a bit... faulty?

The zombie minis are mostly converted minis that I stole from a friend's Zombies! boardgame, with some pewters from someplace that I don't remember now.  Survivors are from various Caesar 1/72 kits with varying levels of conversion.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Re: My Zombies and Paper Terrain
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:11:52 AM »
Very nice collection you have there!  I recognize a figure from their WW2 partisans set among your survivors.
Jim

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:21:16 AM »
Cool.
wouldn't mind seeing an aerial shot of your city/town.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Axtklinge

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
Nice stuff!
As said before, an aerial view from the town would be cool!

Offline Ekman

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »

There are indeed 3 or 4 Caesar partisan figures in these photos.

Fortunately I was too lazy to put everything away, so snapping a photo of the board is no problem. This is what the board looked like in the last photo:

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 04:21:43 PM »
Very nice.

My only comment would be around the building longevity, might be worth printing the terrain single sided and mounting to 3mm foamcore (rather than 5mm which I use for 28mm) that way the building will look and feel a lot more robust.

Nice mini zed gaming...almost pocket sized! ;)

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Ekman

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »
Thanks Vyper, naturally your own board is quite an inspiration!  I am actually not too concerned about longetivity, but that might only be because it hasn't seen much game use.  The interior and exterior are different cardstock layers and it seems to give it the support it needs at this scale, while keeping everything easy to stack.  If anything I'm worried about somebody spilling a beer all over it (as if spilled beer wasn't sad enough).  The beefier feel of foamcore would definitely make everything feel nicer and less weedy though, keeping the ceilings flatter and giving it enough weight to not move around so much (I was thinking about putting some frictiony surface on the bottoms to help with that). 

If I make a bigger building, though, like a warehouse, I will definitely look into some 3mm foamcore.

I just packed everything down, here's it what it compacts into:

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
Very clever !
I've got a 28mm WWG terrain that eats up a lot of space and living in an appartment that's something I haven't got a lot of  :?

P.S. dunno if you know these :
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=19869&it=1&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=466
Very nice building sets for a reasonable price. (no interior)

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 12:55:59 AM »
Ekman- It looks like the WWG stuff you went with is the Mayhem TLX stuff. TLX is more fiddley then the original Urban Mayhem sets, you might want to look into those sets, they are for building more static structures, though with the Mayhem Armory, Mayhem PD, Mayhem Bank, Shellendrak manor, etc... you can build them as Multi-Story structures and have each level removable for access to the level below.

I myself own most the Urban Mayhem sets (missing the Junkyard and Urban Grind, along with Cathedrea Noctis {and the retrofit for it} from the Hellworks line and Wildwood Grove which is the cemetery that can be used either in a fantasy setting or a modern day setting), I have yet to invest in the Mayhem TLX sets, I am waiting for a couple more Mayhem sets are released before I start to invest in TLX.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 09:02:42 AM »
Good looking set up there. Whilst I'm not a huge fan of paper terrain it does the job pretty well and some of the stuff on your board has certainly given me ideas for reproducing things in foam core. Good one.  :D

Offline Axtklinge

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 12:35:18 PM »
So little room to store... how envious I fell right now. ;)
Thanks for the aerial pics, it looks great!

Offline Ekman

• Schoolboy
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 05:06:43 AM »

P.S. dunno if you know these :
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=19869&it=1&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=466
Very nice building sets for a reasonable price. (no interior)

I was wondering where I got that free deli building from.  I like.

It looks like the WWG stuff you went with is the Mayhem TLX stuff. TLX is more fiddley then the original Urban Mayhem sets, you might want to look into those sets[...]

Those sets do look pretty nice.  I was initially very enthralled with the idea of modular terrain, but yes, the TLX stuff is just too fiddly for me.  I may end up continuing on with the street pieces some day, but there's no way I'm doing any more of the buildings.

[...] some of the stuff on your board has certainly given me ideas for reproducing things in foam core. Good one.  :D

Terribly sorry!  If you're anything like me, I'm sure having more project ideas was just what you needed  ;)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 06:09:34 AM »
Terribly sorry!  If you're anything like me, I'm sure having more project ideas was just what you needed  ;)

Who doesn't  lol