Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:38:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ViDe reactions  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Foxxxy66

• Student
ViDe reactions
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »
Don;'t moan...just a thought here. It might be very interesting to have each player not only choose a unit but declare what it will do. Then players roll for initiative. Winner gets to choose who acts and may if his action was applicable interrupt and thus in a sense react to the enemy unit.

eg I choose my grenadier squad to run across road ( move and move again) and shoot at the british bren team in house.   Other player I will shoot and shoot again with bren team when you come into view then withdraw. roll initiative. Bren team wins so grenadiers move into view then bren team fires twice etc

creates opportunities to react  without busting the game up much.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Re: ViDe reactions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »
Hmmm, sounds like a houserule... for me a bit complicated.
It is your game after all! Change what you do not like...
 ;)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Foxxxy66

• Student
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 12:48:46 AM »
another thought is to allow a unit once active to save its actions and use as old style WaW reactions actions.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 06:22:22 AM »
During playtest we toyed with the idea of creating a special command action.
Like Re-activate, but allowing the re-activated unit to have one Overwatch action.
But that leads inevitable to the usual "can of worms", which actions trigger an overwatch action?
 ::) Sneak, going into hiding etc etc ...
In the end all agree that reactions/ overwatch are just a relic and not necessary.  8)

Just out of curiosity, how many games have you played with the current system?   ???

Offline ali the conqueror

• Student
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
or maybe we can do like this, 'interrupt shoot', non-active unit who has LoS to active unit, may interrupt fire providing that the interrupt shot are within range of the guns (remember pre measure). Interrupt shot are  declared after the active unit finished an action and come to LoS of non-active unit (usually after movement action or they 'unconcealed' from their 'hide' status). Interrupt shoot may not declared on unit that are 'hide' (see page 15) even though they are within LOS. Interrupt shoot sacrifice their activation on this turn (though a command unit may use 're-activate' ability on them ).
I thought I'm going to suggest this idea to Agis to apply on future 'modern combat' wargame rules though  ::) since it makes more sense due to their equipment flexibility compare to WW2 one.

@agis
say... where is the Japanese when you need them (pacific war rules man :p )

Offline Foxxxy66

• Student
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:25:58 PM »
@agis no games of ViDe :o but I have played WaW enough to know the drill to expect with no reactions in the game. ;) The two games are not hugely different to me in terms of structure (but you have added chrome save for the loss of reactions).

@Ali - yep thats an interesting line of thought. I think ww2 and modern weapons are not so different as to make a reaction rule pertinent to one and not the other. At the moment I could run across a filed and close combat you if I wanted. I might then defeat you without you having had the reactive impulse to raise your SMG and give me lead.

• Student
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
@foxxx
that's why it's an interrupt SHOOT not close combat :p very extremely high chance you become a corpse when an enemy charging you with bayonet and guns (and suicide vest) :p 
I only suggest that reaction rules to apply on different games (and World war 2 and modern warfare are not frakkin' same, you can't even find cellular phone's triggering bombs in WW2 that's for sure). I'm just hoping that if Agis made a modern one, it will be different but at same time still share similiarities. Take example of two GW products, warhammer fantasy and warhammer 40k, they both share same statline (toughness, close combat, etc etc) but at same time, they play different (on one play like orderly military, the other play more to skirmish battles).

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 06:49:59 PM »
Reactions will not be part of ViDe in the foreseeable future.
I am still confident that most players are not going to miss them after playing some games...
 ;)
But as said, if you do not like any part of the game, apply a house rule of your liking and have fun!
 8)
@Pacific War: 3 Army Lists (USMC, Japanese, Chinese) will come end of June or July...

Offline Foxxxy66

• Student
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
Ali

I was referring to small arms weapons being similar in basic function - raise, aim pull trigger with potential for lots of lead to emerge with automatic weapond- although tbh even a musket wielding chap would have a go and fire off (assuming his morale held etc) at an enemy running towards him from plain view i.e. he would in all likely react, but might still miss of course

Offline Frank Frey

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 10:08:41 PM »
Greetings,

I just finished doing a small WWI skirmish with ViDe and I found the system to work quite well. IMO, the absence of the Reactions phase actually makes the game play quicker. Admittedly both sides (British and German) were only armed with bolt action rifles with the officers carrying pistols. Still, the action played quickly and smoothly. I really don't see a need for some sort of reaction rule but that's just my opinion.

Frank Frey

Offline Beuteldrache

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 11:56:26 PM »
  :)

I really don't see a need for some sort of reaction rule but that's just my opinion.

Thats what exactly happened during the playtesting with our group. All of us were shocked to see the reactions to be gone....but all of us dont miss them now!

ViDe plays differently (except the main tenents of the game system) and far smoother than WaW.

• Student
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 05:40:38 AM »
oh I did forgot, in modern warfare you can feature air unit though (helicopters) :p

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 06:11:04 AM »
oh I did forgot, in modern warfare you can feature air unit though (helicopters) :p
If Modern is done, Helis will be featured... 8)
I just do not see F-15 visible on the battlefield, you see the effect of their air strikes but not the plane itself...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:22:03 AM by Agis »

• Student
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »
@agis
make sense for aircraft/bomber craft becomes some kind of strategic asset rather than represent on battlefield. You can't possibly have ground unit to pound aircraft unit anyway :p but a helis, they can be represented (we all know that a blackhawk can be shot down by ground RPG's :p so long their mission always prior themselves as close support to ground unit though rather than running away ;D )