Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:17:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer Fantasy Battles 3rd Edition - any players left?  (Read 9627 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Re: Warhammer Fantasy Battles 3rd Edition - any players left?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »
Well, I still mean to try out Kings of War, it seems light on the time investment (no big book) and people seem pretty positive about it.

I agree that most army books seem to be geared towards selling more models and I personally really miss the great amount of weapon options you used to have for your basic models. I'm afraid converting old army lists may be more work than it seems though.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 08:05:02 AM »
The other option is forget the lists, forget points and balance, play the rules that you like the best and put whatever you like on the table armed with what ever you like with what ever special rules (or lack of) make sense to you. Write it as a scenario so you don't have some idiot turn up with his homebrew uber unit of death.

Keep the feel for 3rd, which is what we all miss, by adding the fluff even use the old lists to guide you. Alternatively just give 3rd a go once and see if it is all you remember. To be honest I never really read a rule book fully after 3rd just sort of added bits of rules here and there, they all got jumbled up. Throw away the rules! Who needs them, just make it up.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 12:10:52 PM »
I think Erny has it right...and this is what we used to do to...When we got new units we added them to our armys...if one seemed over powered we worked to bring the other Armies up to speed.  And the games told a story...or had an actual objective...none of this points crap...we played until it was obvious who won.  Its the narrative aspect of the game that all this tournament stuff kills....its not soccer (football) its a fantasy wargame...just have fun!

Let us know how it goes...color me jealous if you find some folks to play 3rd with.

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline ogryn

• Librarian
  • Mercpancake
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
Kings of War! Good, free, fast, easy flow, mass fantasy, easily adaptable fantasy mass combat.
Armies of Arcana if you want something with a little more meat/closer feel to Warhammer.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »
I find that Kings of War's lack of removing casualty figures removes some of the cinema for me. Just a personal preference but it's enough to put me off. I like to see the damage I'm doing by frittering away the enemy rather than adding to tokens/dice next to the units.

Offline redben

• Student
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 06:35:34 AM »
Please excuse the thread necromancy but I think this post is relevant :)

I'm another 80's GW child and kept onto the 3rd books for 20 years after they went oop on the off-chance I could still get a game. In the last 12 months there has been an 80's GW movement, calling itself "Oldhammer", take off and there's a get together at Wargames Foundry on the weekend of 31st August - 1st September. It's primarily going to be focused on Slaves to Darkness, it being the 25th anniversary of the book, but there'll also be games of WFB and RT going on.

Offline Tristram Evans

• Student
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »
Yes I still play 3rd edition when I can. This is infrequent that the schedules of my gaming group line up enough so that we have the time (we try to make a point of a "Gaming weekend" once every three months, and this is interspersed with games of Warmaster or AoS on a weekly basis. My hope is to have enough money to attend one of the Bring Out Your Lead Oldhammer weekends in Britain in the near future.