Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:04:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686618
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Various fantasy minis  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
Various fantasy minis
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:54:44 PM »
Ok, I've gotten the introduction out of the way, so now I'll do the REAL introduction.

A warzone figure that I thought would make an interesting gladiator:

Chronopia warrior:

Haven't finished his base yet; one of these days....

A unit of Khornate Knights for war-something or other....

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Re: Various fantasy minis
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:37:58 PM »
Hi CH, nice clean lines. Need some shading though. The dip or ink method can give nice results. Keep posting pics!

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 08:22:56 AM »
Hi and welcome! I like your knights best, do the rest of your bases like you did on them!

I agree with Dozing Dragon - get some Citadel Washes and go to town on these babies =D The chaos knights look like you have shaded them a bit, so maybe you have the washes available.

You have good brush control, I think it's time for you to step up your game a bit.

Here are the tips which helped me get out of the stage where you are now. I apologize in advance if I'm telling you things you allready know. =)
* Wash the minis in warm water and a little dishwashing liquid. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
* Undercoat the minis with a spray primer. White is easier to get good coverage on.
* Thin your paints and use good, clean brushes! Get some paint on a palette, using an old brush or smth. Thin the paint on your palette a bit with water, to a milk like consistency (or cream, if you're a bit chicken - I was).
* Use washes and inks to shade the areas where two features meet. Wash, let dry and then pick out details with the base colour again.

Once you have those steps nailed, you can try drybrushing, and later on layered highlighting.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:40:47 AM »
Try giving that Warzone Mourning Wolf a liberal all-over wash with GW Devlan Mud or the likes, and watch her come to life!

I agree with phreedh - you have the basics right, now dare the next step, and you'll shine!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:56:51 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome. I meant to put a little history in with the piccies to try and show a progression, but SWMBO was very adamant about my coming to dinner...

The mourning wolf was painted about 8 years ago, the Chronopia fellow was painted 6 years ago, and the chaos knights were painted about a year and a half ago. I did manage to shade the knights somewhat, but I think I messed it up a little; the red is a lot darker than I intended. I have got some of the citadel washes, and I love them. I've been kind of slow using them, though--I'm afraid of screwing up my work.

About the mourning wolf; she's already been sealed. Can I still apply the wash over that, or will it goof up the figure?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »
About the mourning wolf; she's already been sealed. Can I still apply the wash over that, or will it goof up the figure?

No idea - I never varnish/seal my minis.

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
This is the most recent fantasy mini that I've done (about 6 months ago):