Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:55:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) The Department: Goalsystem Police Procedural Seeks KS funding  (Read 1307 times)

Offline HRE Joseph III

• Librarian

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1931671462/the-department-sci-fi-noir-tabletop-wargame-rpg

We're real excited to announce the newest Goalsystem game, The Department.

I won't reiterate the pitch here, since you can read that on our Kickstarter site.

What I will do here on LAF is give a little more information on the mechanics.

In the standard game, players each play a single character and cooperate against the game investigating robot criminal rings. They do this by playing a series of 4-6 tabletop scenarios, fighting against NPC enemies. The goal is to collect evidence and arrest suspects in order to accumulate enough of the five evidence points (People, Places, Electronic, Financial, Physical) to take down the prime suspect. The scenarios should be though of as the scenes between the "bong bong" in a episode of Law and Order. If the players succeed in collecting enough evidence during the campaign, they will be able to play the final scenario and apprehend the prime suspect. Players always have to be mindful of the their budget counter, which is always ticking down. Every scenario played or every moment back at the station analysing evidence takes something out of the budget. If the budget is depleted, the players are thrown off the case and they lose.    

But players will not have to always play by the book. Characters are able to perform dirty cop tricks, which can gain additional evidence or make a little money on the side. But every dirty action gains you an Internal Affairs point which has the potential of cutting into your budget, getting you suspended, or getting you thrown off of the case.

The Department is not just about combat, like many other skirmish wargames. There is a greater emphasis on interrogation and sleuthing actions than combat. The game accomplishes this with the new threshold system. In normal Goalsystem, characters roll their whole goal roll all the time, trying to get as many goals as possible. In The Department, when characters are performing a task that require finesse, such as interrogating a suspect or analysing evidence, they may choose how many dice to roll, up to their total goal roll. This is because these task have a minimum number of goals to succeed, but a maximum number of goals to do well.

For example, when interrogating a suspect, a character needs 3 goals to get any evidence, but if they get 6 or more they will get an internal affairs point for police brutality.

I hope that give you a sneak peak of the system. I'm here to answer any questions you may have. I hope you consider pledging and helping make this book a reality.    

Thanks for looking,
-Joe
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:32:30 PM by Westfalia Chris »
Holy Roman Emperor Joseph III
Rex Germanorum