Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:01:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: On the Subject of Artillery  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Cadet13

• Scientist
  • "Now I have a machinegun. HO HO HO."
    • http://chucksnapwargames.blogspot.com/
On the Subject of Artillery
« on: June 11, 2011, 10:03:10 PM »
For those of you out there who play battles with armies that have horse drawn artillery, how do you base your artillery and limbers?

I'm about to get some Royal Horse Artillery for my 15mm Napoleonics, and i had a couple of things in mind about basing them:

• 1. Seperate caisson pulling gun and crew firing the gun (i.e. I buy two cannons) or
  • 2. Base the caisson and firing crew in such a way that one cannon can be switched back and forth (I've seen this done with 28mm Naps, but I'm not sure how well it would work in 15mm)

What do y'all think? Any suggestions? How do y'all base your artillery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Cadet13

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
Re: On the Subject of Artillery
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 07:04:34 AM »
it seems, it is more a problem of how YOU want to show/use it. Should it have more of a realistic touch or should it be a bit more functional?

realsitic would be, to have it a) seperate and maybe even b) two times. One in a settled version with all that shooting stuff placed around and one in a transport version, where everything is pcked and "in line" for moving.
So ... i think it depends on, what You want to do with it more often. Just show and tell or gaming ... or both ^^

On the battlefield I have seen all ... yeah ^^ ... I mean, I have seen placed cannons with horses waiting patiently behind it (patient even while firing ^^) or the crew placed motionless on the same base, loading their cannons while being transported in the line for moving out the army.

But then - if there are rules for moving, I think it should be seperated (at least crew and gun). The other option is, to always put everything seperately, crew, guns, horses, caissons and the like. So You are able to place it according to the situation in whatever set-up or rule or game. More work, more effort, more rewarding  ;)

best wishes
Drachenklinge
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »
I have based my 15mm using your suggested method #2 - I find this works well and I have done it for ACW and Crimean war in 15mm as well... but you need to remember the guns are not fixed when you pick them up or they go flying  :?

Offline Luthaaren Von Tegale

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »
Hi Cadet,
for my ACW collection I base the draught animals individually as per all troops in the collection and leave the guns & limbers unbased for maximum flexibility.

vT