Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:54:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Do you dungeoncrawl?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Do you dungeoncrawl?
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:21 AM »
Well, do you?

I'm tinkering around with a "chivalric questing knights meets dungeon crawl" game (which I may even share when I get a couple of bits sorted out), and wondered if anyone here played any 'straight' dungeon crawl games (not RPGs that just happen to be underground). If so, which ones, how often, what's the best/worst bit about them, anything else you feel is pertinent?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences (but only dungeoncrawl ones, right? This isn't a counselling session, ok?  ;)).

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Re: Do you dungeoncrawl?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »
Warhammer Quest once in a wihle... Good sides: coop vs system, large possibilities for expansion, random events. Bad sides: Instadeath by snotlings, little to no tactical movement, 1 in 6 chance of being shafted each turn.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:47:16 PM »
I have been using my .45 Adventure 2nd edition for some dungeon crawl games. Games can be coop or against each other. I was actually hoping to run another tonight, but a summer head cold has me taken out.

If I can find the time, I'm going to post some of the random cards for players to use.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 05:41:13 PM »
I like advanced HeroQuest.

It's similar to Warhammer Quest, except without the drawbacks (imho ;))
More on this later when I have a bit more time
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »
Not at the moment - but it's always been a dream (obsession my mates tell me!) to run the Caves of Chaos using AD&D Battlesystem Skirmish rules!

Working towards that distant day I have buying Otherworld minis and Ainsty dungeons over the last few years!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:20:38 PM »
Have a look here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=27542.0

And on his site it's great!

I'd be tempted to use WFRP or more likely AD&D second edition (possible battlesystem skirmish)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:45:58 AM »
I'm back, so here is the longer awnser :)

For me warhammer Quest tries sometimes a bit too hard to sit between an RPG and a boardgame. I dislike how monsters need to be placed and divide their attacks as evely as they can among the heroes, while the heroes can just choose who they want to attack. Combat is more like a puzzle then anything else. Then again, the 1 in a 6 chance of an encounter is quite steep. I'm also not so much a fan of how the game tries to be exciting by just throwing in enough monsters so that they don't all get killed nefore they have had their turn...  The in between town encounters.... well, the first few times they are funny, but after that it's all the same...

Advanced Heroquest on the other hand, has (imho) better rules for placing monsters. the GM and (one of) the players roll for initiative. The one who wins places the monsters. the other side can then move all monsters up to one square. Monsters can also try to find reinforments (at least the sentries can). Having a GM makes the monsters smarter and the chalege better for the players. It might very well be possible that a dungeon is too hard. PLayers can always leave and come back later on. The number of trips they need to complete the dungeon is important for the reward. The game uses D12's instead of the D6, which makes the varaity in monsters way more then it is in WHQ.

Then there is Decent...  It's a dungeoncrawl...  but also a boardgame. One should never forget that. Sometimes a hero needs to be sacrificed for the party to gain better equipment. The hero will anyhow respawn. While I do like the game and it mechanics, it is doesn't give me the classic a dungeon crawler feeling, so I won't go into more detail.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:50:23 AM »
Song of Gold and Darkness (Song of Blades and Heroes supplement).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 08:34:38 AM »
Descent...
The problem with Descent is that it's a "dungeon crawl-themed" race game really. It's not about happily spelunking, opening chests and bashing monsters - but a race to beat the clock (or in this case, the overlord who must not be left to his own devices for too long).

Braxandur, you have almost sold me on AHQ. =)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »
Braxandur, you have almost sold me on AHQ. =)

I might even have a copy (scan) of the rules lying around if you are interested in taking a peek ;)

I forgot to mention that the system uses it's own board, but you can off course just use the tiles from WHQ, decent, or even plain old HeroQues (they have put the rules for having a maze in there).

The poor heroes can not carry an infinite amount of gold (apparently the stuff is heavy) but you can get henchmen followers :)

Offline hetz

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
Another vote for AHQ here. Funnily enough I just started rereading the rules the other day with the intention of getting a few mates around for a drunken dungeon bash :D

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »
Thanks for your replies, chaps. That confirms a lot of my gut feelings about what makes a good dungeoncrawl.

When I got the idea to write my own rules it was initially for a knights at tournament game, but the 'side element' of those knights going on quests (partly thanks to Mini-Rab #1's growing enthusiasm for knights, dragons, giants and adventures) kind of took over. In terms of setting, it's very much the world of Mallory - there are giants, dragons, evil spirits, werewolves, magic and things that go bump in the night, but they are found at the margins and in the wilderness - which is where the knights and aspiring knights go to prove themselves.

The mechanics are, I guess, not that revolutionary. A small range of characteristics, opposed dice rolls for combat (using custom d6 with swords or shields on them) which includes the possibility for you to mess up your attack, co-operative play among the questing party and a minstrel to tell the tale (read 'dungeon master') and control the adversaries. The goal of the players is for their squire to develop their chivalry and prowess up to the point where they get knighted, and then further until they get accepted into an order of chivalry (like the knights of the garter, or the round table).

One thing I have included which seems a little different from the other games I've seen is that each squire/knight has a Chivalry characteristic which may prevent them from carrying out unchivalric deeds like attacking someone from behind or ganging up on non-monstrous foes.

Playing it through on my own ("I'm so ronery"  lol) it seems to work quite well but I'm still working out the stats and stuff for various monsters, skills, and playing with the idea of different weapons having slightly different effects on combat. Thinsg I haven't touched at all yet are magic and missile weapons. Missile weapons will definitely be in there, magic I'm not sure about as an in-game thing (and I'm pretty certain I won't allow the players access to magic). I might stick to a 'kill the sorcerer to destroy his army of skeletons' approach, rather than fireballs and the like.

Actually, I'd welcome your thoughts on that approach to magic or anything else I've mentioned.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 09:34:52 PM »
I started off dungeon crawling solo using the original D&D random dungeon rules but then moved onto home made games for pbm. I am now looking for a decent set of tailor made rules for the tabletop again, and it seems the Songs of... series takes first place.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/