Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:10:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dwarf stretcher bearers (knight added)  (Read 10955 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Dwarf stretcher bearers (knight added)
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 06:34:53 PM »
Hmmm. I suppose I could check the bits for an appropriate size plastic griffon head or something. I don't feel like sculpting one though. ;)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dwarf field hospital - wip
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 05:41:18 PM »
A WIP of a field hospital set to go with the stretcherbearers. Much remains to be done.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 05:48:28 PM »

Real nice... once again ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »
Brilliant...a slightly less grim part of the process than I had in mind, but I think that makes it so much better.
Looking at it you know what's coming next and if you choose to let it your imagination can paint a far worse picture of that than any model.
 :D

Now if only I could harness a little of your creativity and turn some of my random thoughts into reality myself.
 :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:49:31 PM by Viper »
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »
I originally planned to have the surgeon actually sawing the leg off, but I realised the short dwarf legs and arms  the width and bulk of the models would make that look really awkward. And as you say, you know what's coming next. ;)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »

It just occurs to me (maybe I haven’t had enough coffee before)… Do you have any general tips for working with green stuff? Any basics "do" and "don’ts" considering I’m a novice with the stuff (so far I can do sand bags… or pillows, it depends) ::)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »
Well, I'm far from an expert, but I've been dabbling for a few years, so I'll try to get into a little bit of detail on how I do it (probably the real sculptors will laugh at that). The most important part for me is work in layers and don't try to do too much at once as you'll only end up damaging one bit while working on another. Instead, let every part you did cure before moving on to another one. you can work on a few figures like that every evening or whenever you have the time.

The tools I use are:
- toothpicks (for some detail and for smoothing out the putty by gently rolling it over)
- needle pin for finer detail
- scalpel tool for cutting (like the sleeves)
- clay shaper (with a soft rounded tip, also for smoothing)

Keep a cup of water handy to wet your tools or the putty will stick to them! Pro's use thinks like vaseline or saliva for a smoother finish.

Mixing the putty: more yellow makes it more sticky and gives you a longer working time. more blue makes it less sticky, cures faster and holds detail a little better.

To give an example of sculpting, the puffy sleeves are achieved by first putting a blob of putty on the arm, then smoothing it out around it (using the clay shaper or the toothpick) until the arm is covered on all sides by a sleeve of putty. This is then cut vertically using the scalpel (don't draw it across the putty, but press it into it). If you want it to look like on the last figure I posted, repeat with horizontal cuts. I then use the tip of the toothpick to push in the sides of the different putty squares (the vertical ones) and give that extra touch if you can see what I mean in the picture. If you only made vertical slashes, you can do the same with the scalpel blade. Pants are similar (though only vertical slashes).
When you've done one sleeve: stop. let it cure and work on a different model. If you try to do too much at once, you'll end up putting a finger in your freshly sculpted detail.
When you've done the pants and they have cured, start with the jacket (or the shirt first if it's an open jacket). Don't try to do front and back at one, just one side will do.

Patience is key. And switch between tools to find out what works best for what purposes.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 04:15:09 AM »
Mr. Knight, that is some fantastic stuff you have got going on over there. Can't wait to see it finished!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 08:07:44 AM »
A bit more done to them since. Still load to do. Will include table for the wounded one to lay on and probably a barrel with severed limbs. I'm contemplating making an already amputated dwarf too maybe.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 08:58:31 AM »
Stonking stuff. WK, do you use nothing but green stuff or do you use brown stuff or its equivalents at all?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »
I've used a roll of brownstuff once many years ago. You can carve and sand it better when dry. I'm just more used to the greenstuff and it's organic feel.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2011, 07:31:45 AM »
hnhnhn ... dwarves again! Sorry for digging THAT out, but it looks really good!

When seeing that stretcher I was reminded on my own "project" (one of already too many) ... You sure all know the dwarven kings on shields or thrones. I am not much into killing dwarves, but I imagine a dwarven king lying dead on a special ceremonial "stretcher". With weapons in hand (preferebly a big war-axe), a few jewel-boxes around. It might be even a theme for a regiment. Haven't seen such a thing. I thought of using this one king from GW*, but I am not good with GS. Maybe one days - or maybe - 'given You an idea ;)

best wishes
Drachenklinge

* standing with with one hand on its weapon, the other arm "nestling" its helmet

best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2011, 09:46:38 AM »
I'm considering redoing the stretcher bearers using some of my metal figures, as I can see plenty of things now that I don't like with the original set. Might even be able to cast them up then.