Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:04:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689655
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AE Bounty Battle Report "Valkyrie Ambush"  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
AE Bounty Battle Report "Valkyrie Ambush"
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:27:36 AM »

We had another game of AE Bounty tonight.  This is the first time we tried a bounty hunting crew.  The report in on my blog here:

http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/2011/06/ae-bounty-battle-report-valkyrie-ambush.html

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Re: AE Bounty Battle Report "Valkyrie Ambush"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »
As usual, very, very nice! Keep going!   ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »
Nice.

Oh, and I bought a copy of AE Bounty. Appreciate your help.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
Great to see all your Bounty AARs. What did you make of the Bounty Hunters vs the other crews you've used? Sometimes they can be very nasty, at other times I find they get easily otherwhelmed if the numbers are against you.
Duncan

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »
Great to see all your Bounty AARs. What did you make of the Bounty Hunters vs the other crews you've used? Sometimes they can be very nasty, at other times I find they get easily otherwhelmed if the numbers are against you.
Duncan

This is the first time we have ran a bounty hunter crew.  They seemed balanced. 

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:44:19 PM »
I'd say that the mercs and bounty hunters are the most easily played. Pirates We're having difficulties running effectively other than a huge horde of minis.
Duncan

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »
I'd say that the mercs and bounty hunters are the most easily played. Pirates We're having difficulties running effectively other than a huge horde of minis.
Duncan

With the Pirates I think you just have to give in to what they are.  Standard and Large crew seems to be the way to go.  I'm still having a hard time building certain types of crews.  The force creation rules could be more clear.  It's hard to understand exactly what can be subbed for what and how the upgrading works.  However I think the game runs really nicely and it's perfect for someone like me who has a lot of random figs painted but no big armies.   

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 05:00:28 PM »
However I think the game runs really nicely and it's perfect for someone like me who has a lot of random figs painted but no big armies.   
That I think is the crux of the matter, that it is as open as it is. I have to agree though the crew building is exactly worded clearly, but I think once you've got past that it's reasonably simple.
Duncan

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »
That I think is the crux of the matter, that it is as open as it is. I have to agree though the crew building is exactly worded clearly, but I think once you've got past that it's reasonably simple.
Duncan

I'm having some issues with some of the rules.  Not everything should cost an action point.  I don't know that many 3d sci-fi skirmish games that still penalize troops from makeing an about face.  Some of the other things that cost action points are annoying and grenades should't cost two although I don't think they need to allow someone to shoot a gun and use a grenade using some of the same action point.  It's just odd. 
Also my setting is human centric and uses no psycic powers so there are some assumptions built into the rules that make things complicated for what we are doing.  For instance Hunter (X) is stupid powerful if you know you are always going to face other humans. 
I've not yet got my head around setting up campaigns since they are tied to the somewhat complicated force building rules but I figure I'll get those worked out soon. 
Overall I would give the rules an good grade.  Perahaps 90% which is very good with room for improvement.  Still a very good system for the games I like to play. 

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:55:18 PM »
I have to agree with many of those points, but I've not found anything better. Also some of the weapons are a little out eg grenade launchers which are a no brainer for heavy weapons and the various HRF weapons with reload which means they don't get that many shots in as your always having to reload the damn thing also the lack of the simple shotgun from the weapon list is a little irritating. But as said for space opera skirmish games there isn't anything close to it out.

Offline delta6ct

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 03:36:51 AM »
I'm really enjoying these reports and this game system sounds like a lot of fun...

Mike