Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:58:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 727
Total: 734

Recent

Author Topic: WIP SdKlz. 1. Kradlaufer  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
WIP SdKlz. 1. Kradlaufer
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:25:44 PM »
Blame Modhail, he sent me this:

http://www.classic-space.com/plugins/autogallery/autogallery.php?show=Steam%2F23.jpg

Some sort of steam punk thingie that resembles a Kettenkrad in a odd way.

I had not planned to enter the Guild group build this time as Cavalry isn't my thing and I wasn't planning on doing a fleet of choppers back then (I should have) but this one brought up some creative juices.

Can I finish in time and get her painted etc? Who knows. But I'm going to try anyway :)

" As the war progressed and walker development focussed mainly on armoured Kampfer, a small design bureau designed and built their first walker for non combat and support use. The idea was quickly shelved as being of no use and a waste of resources. Then the harsh Russian climate set in and grounded almost every vehicle apart from walkers and certain tracked vehicles. The idea was put back into the spotlight and rushed into production.

Mostly made with stamped parts, the Kradlaufer is a very basic device which looks bulky yet is surprisingly light and more importantly, fast. Originally intended to work side by side the original Kettenkrads, they quickly found favor with Landsers and elite troops alike. Simple to maintain, ruggedly built, and very fuelefficient, the Kradlaufer became the true soldiers friend. It was found in every branch of the military, used to replace horses and motorcycles, and with the proper Rustungssatz even used as a frontline vehicle (though terribly underarmoured).

Examples of Panzerschreck armed versions (noted as the SdKlz. 1/F) were not uncommon in the streets of Berlin, their small stature and potent bite earning them the nickname of Floh, to Russian and German alike.

In the end, about 5000 units were produced."

Meant for 20mm, but as Tamiya makes one in the scale usefull for 28mm, you might get some fun out of it as well. As I have a box full of Kettebkrad top parts I'd better use em anyway.

Johan
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/