Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:12:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690455
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetors Judge Dredd Stuff: Emerald Isle Judge 16/03/14  (Read 28075 times)

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
Re: Mega City One Justice Department
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »
Love your Judges - that yellow is really effective.

Must dig out my Foundry judges - thats for the inspiration!

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 12:30:55 AM »
Terrain too? Cool! Mega-City One would be a nightmare to build (I'm talking about a small section here, of course), buy it would look EPIC!

Looking forward to the rest of your Judges and Perps, as you paint them!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 04:41:13 PM »

I got a pair of Holocaust Judges painted over the weekend and a couple of (dodgy) photos taken today.

A couple more photos are on my blog.

They were a fun change of pace from the regular Judges and good practice for painting some Lawmasters once Mongoose release the retooled version.

Comments and criticisms all welcome, as ever :)

Back to painting some more familiar Judges again now.

Terrain too? Cool! Mega-City One would be a nightmare to build (I'm talking about a small section here, of course), buy it would look EPIC!

It would, but my efforts will have a healthy dose of practicality inserted.  More details about that once I have more research and planning done for it.  Its all about the miniatures for the time being :)

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
Re: Mega City One Justice Department UPDATE 5/7 HS1 & 2 Suits
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 05:26:44 PM »
yes,very nicely painted again!  :)The Visor Effect came out very well and nice Details on the Police Badge  :o

Offline inkwell

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 05:49:15 PM »
Well done! :-*

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Great work on them. The highlighting on the armour is spt-on.

You should have no worries turning out some lovely Lawmasters - as an old biker, they were always one of my favourite creations in JD  :D

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »
Thanks again for the feedback guys :)

You should have no worries turning out some lovely Lawmasters - as an old biker, they were always one of my favourite creations in JD  :D

Dredd is a biker cop through and through.  Any miniature representation of the MC1 Justice Dept has to include a few Lawmasters.  The impossible look of the huge tyres and styling just makes it even more appealing to me :)

Mongoose have been threatening to include rules that incorporate Lawmaster Perp chases into the their Judge Dredd Miniatures Rules.  I think that gaming that with miniatures that I have painted will be a lifetime hobby highlight... if it materialises.

Painting a 28mm Lawmaster or two will scratch an itch that I have had for over twenty years :)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »
Beautiful work on all the figures you've shown so far, looking forward to seeing more. I've got quite a pile of Judge Dredd figures to work on myself :(
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 12:40:25 PM »
That Holocaust Mk. II is far too recognizable as a re-worked SST Grizzly suit (or the other type), otherwise nice minis.

I hope to get a few judges painted this summer, but time is... restricted....  :?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »
Excellent brushwork and I love power armor in general, but those poses seem odd to me.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »
That Holocaust Mk. II is far too recognizable as a re-worked SST Grizzly suit

Which really only matters if the viewer is familiar with the Grizzly though.  Players unfamiliar with the death throes of the SST range would be none the wiser :)

Actually I think that the styling of the Grizzly helmet to look like the Manta tank turret (which in turn looks like a stylised Judge helmet) was a great move.  The addition of the screwy (but very in keeping with the setting) big boots brings the figure quite nicely into the Dredd-verse if you ask me :)

I hope to get a few judges painted this summer, but time is... restricted....  :?

I had some of these Judge figures in the to-do pile for nearly ten years.  You can never tell which project will bubble to the top next.

Excellent brushwork and I love power armor in general, but those poses seem odd to me.

I agree about the poses actually.  The HS1 is sort of standing there and doing nothing.

The HS2 is a multi part kit but when I got bought it from the Mongoose stand at Salute it came straight from their display cabinet already pre-assembled by their staff.  I dont think that I would have spread the HS2 figures arms out so widely if I had assembled it personally.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 08:28:20 AM »
I had some of these Judge figures in the to-do pile for nearly ten years.  You can never tell which project will bubble to the top next.

Exactly - I just shoved in about 50 old 2nd Ed. 40K plastic orks and gretchin at the top of the list for a splash-on and trying out Warpath (and no, it's NOT a fantastic set of rules, but I want to try it out, OK?  ;))

I agree about the poses actually.  The HS1 is sort of standing there and doing nothing.

I think a razor saw, a drill, some wire, and glue might fix that? Looks like the right arm coul be re-posisioned in a firing stance? Not that I would like to experiment on a figure that big/expensive...  ::)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »
I think a razor saw, a drill, some wire, and glue might fix that? Looks like the right arm coul be re-posisioned in a firing stance?

No doubt, but I try to avoid that sort of thing as much as possibly these days.

Although I have hundreds of converted miniatures, I rarely engage it that sort of thing now for two main reasons: 1) it slows down my output quite severely and 2) because my group doesnt play in any sort of tournament scene where seeing the same miniatures over and over again happens, we tend to be happy with most of our figures off-the-peg now: they dont need to be converted to stand out.

Having said all that I do have a Wally Squad (undercover) Judge conversion in the offing :)  The reason for converting that is to try and make the figure look more like a character from the Dredd strip though, rather than to remedy a bland pose.

If I get around to a second HS1 suit at some point in the future I will likely do some rearranging to it to make it unique.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »
Whoa! Those Holocaust suits are brilliant! Fantastic work. Completely understand about putting models before terrain, as far as priorities are concerned, but I will wait as patiently as possible nonetheless to see what you do with MC1 when you get to it. Based on the models you produce for this thread, and all your others, it's going to look cool.
Keep it coming - this is a wonderful thread.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetor Judge Dredd Stuff: UPDATE Sep '11 Judges and Jimp
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »
I managed a full days gaming using Mongooses Judge Dredd Miniature Game rules a while back.  My thoughts on them along with some photos of the pretty primitive looking games that we played are here.  
Synopsis: I like the rule set.

Suitably spurred on by enthusiasm for gaming Dredd I set about painting some more figs, shown below.  Click the linked names beneath for info on why I choose that particular variant of the uniform scheme etc.

Chief Judge Cal and Deputy Chief Judge Fish

Med Judge

SJS Judge Slocum

Street Judge

Senior Judge Hershey
(I dont know what the grey dot on her hair is.  Its gone from the figure now anyway)

The above shot is all of my Justice Department so far.  Not as technically spectacular as some of the works of art that crop up around here pretty often, but I am very happy with them as a gaming figures.  I also get a kick out of painting up my own take on characters from a lifelong interest.

Finally, this guy below is a "Jimp", a Judge impersonator (and one of the reasons why I altered the title of the thread).

Jimp

I am very close to finishing some Dark Judges and will put them up next.  Progress is slow though, loads of other real life stuff is slowing output.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:10:05 AM by cheetor »