Forum > Back of Beyond

Question on firearms

(1/7) > >>

Operator5:
Okay, let's say I'm hunting some VERY big game around 1920s/1930s. What type of rifle am I going to use?

And I'm not looking for military grade weapons (smgs, BAR, etc.), but a rifle/shotgun that a serious big game hunter would be using.

PeteMurray:
You're going to use a heavy long rifle, probably chambered for .375 magnum, in a bolt action. Your discriminating hunter is going to have either a custom rifle or one manufactured in very small lots. Remington was (I think) the foremost American hunting rifle company of the time, with the Europeans using Mausers or Mannlichers. I seem to recall hearing that the Martini-Henry formed the basis of at least one Brit big-game rifle. The ironic part is that quite a few big game rifles were compatible with military rounds (though obviously your well-to-do hunter is going to go with something a bit more match grade.)

I don't think shotguns were used too frequently, even with slugs.

Vanvlak:
A state of the art elephant gun:
http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003690.html
Or rather, the L-39 Lahti 20mm AT rifle fielded up to 1941. This would actually be later than your period, but something slightly older than this should do. The similar in concept Boys AT rifle was adopted for service in 1937:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle,_Anti-Tank,_.55_in,_Boys
Although these are military, a civilian precursor good enough to stop a - ummm- dino? - could be imagined.
Finally, another Wiki link, this time to real elephant guns from the 1850s onwards. Not much here though.

Hammers:

--- Quote from: "PeteMurray" ---I don't think shotguns were used too frequently, even with slugs.
--- End quote ---

Are you sure? It is quite common for boar hunting these days.

PeteMurray:
For big game on the magnitude of a heffalump or a water buffalo, a 12-gauge slug just doesn't have enough kick behind it, from what I understand. Now, granted, there are 4-gauge shotguns out there, and some madman will have made slugs for it (thus accounting for why miniatures are so expensive these days), but on average you get higher muzzle velocities and consequently penetration and stopping power out of a rifle round.

I'm no expert. My gun experience is limited to Boy Scout camp and plinking at the range. I get beat up firing the Mosin-Nagant or the Garand. A real hunting rifle would knock me flat on my butt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version