Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:34:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shark ahoy!  (Read 6949 times)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Re: Shark ahoy!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
One weird thing about my phobia, though.  I can get in the water and swim out to shark depth (one meter or so) if someone is with me.  I guess my mind mentally calculates and gives me a 50/50 chance of the shark eating the other person instead of me!!!
Oh yes. I suffer of dentist-phobia, and I understand now why I feel more secure when another person waits with me at the dentist's office: my mind calculates that there is a 50/50 chance of the dentist attacking the other person instead of me!

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 09:59:35 PM »
I am incapable of swimming alone in the ocean, though.  I just can't force myself to do it!

Me neither, and I live inside Stockholm, its sweetwater here :S Even when super drunk and swimming I get that creepy feeling, and we allways used to go swim and drink just where I live.

I love the pose of the shark, I just got a picture in the mail of one with that exact pose, my friends do that, send me pictures of sharks, postcards, buy me books about sharks when its my birthday, sign me up and pay for Shark Conserving Bla Bla... they even got a shark tagged with my name for my 30th birthday, go figure. Its silly and I wish they would stop it :-P
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »
they even got a shark tagged with my name for my 30th birthday

Now how bad would they feel if you were actually eaten by the shark with your name on it...!  Oops, sorry, that probably doesn't help.

Honestly, I'm the same way.  I can actually sit there and float in a pool and get my imagination cranked up and figure out some way for a shark to be in that pool and cruising towards me...jaws wide open...yaagh!
Mike

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 07:55:45 PM »
I have heard that sharks will circle a human swimmer for 5 minutes before attacking and eating them.

It seems they have learned humans taste better without all that s*** inside them. lol

lol
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 02:51:05 AM »
I once had to fight a sharydra (half shark, half hydra). Soo many teeth, I killed it with a rusty crane hook and a baseball bat and now keep one of its young as a pet.

On another note shark week starts on discovery channel in a week or so!
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 02:09:27 PM »
Nice work !  :o No need to learn to swim, then.

And what do you think about this one, from a T-shirt design.
Er. That's a French play-on-words, about "mer" (=sea) and "mère" (=mother) as the French title of the film "Jaws" was "Les dents de la mer".
Ooops, sorry.

Much thanks, Patrice! My French is non-existent at best, and I'm grateful for any polish.

I will repeat the bottom line that for all of folks in the water, all the sharks in the water, the number of incidents are quite small, and usually a bite, and the shark realizes we're not all that tasty. ;->=

No consolation to the one who's bit, mind you. And, yes, they still creep the heck out of me, too.

I'm reminded of the old Survive game, where sharks were just fins. Brits had a version, Escape from Atlantis, which seems to have arrived repackaged here in the colonies. Might be worth a further update.

Doug

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »

Very cool ...although, you could always improve the Shark's head by adding a pair of feet sticking out of his mouth ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 04:01:33 PM »
Very cool ...although, you could always improve the Shark's head by adding a pair of feet sticking out of his mouth ;)
HAHA! :D

Offline Information

• Lurker
    • jackets australia
jackets australia
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 10:30:05 AM »
 ;D ;DCute