Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:30:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Papal/Inquisition colours and figures  (Read 6487 times)

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
Re: Papal/Inquisition colours and figures
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 07:03:51 PM »
Pope Gregory IX's original Inquisitors were predominantly Dominicans - the Black Friars or God's dogs - Domini Canes  ;)

So Black with White trim would be spot on.

By that time, the Hospitallers were going through a re-branding exercise and had taken on Red with a White cross.

But whatever flicks your switch  :)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 08:03:12 PM »
I'll have two seperate units for the Knights of Malta. One will be a unit of 'knights' in steam augmented armour, along similar lines to this unreleased Foundry figure.

The other unit is a unit of Serjeant-at-Arms, who will be in military uniform (either Prussian without packs or British in braided patrol jackets) with a quarter/shoulder cape over their right shoulder. Similar colour scheme to the Zoaves but the cape will be black with a white maltese cross on it.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 08:36:40 PM »
Sounds like a really interesting project, I'll be curious to see it develop. I love the Perry zouaves and have a bunch of extras, so I will probably steal your idea!

I wish those Victoria Lamb figures weren't so expensive. If she lowered the price, I bet she'd sell more :)

Dewbakuk- how'd you score that Foundry fig? Jealousy!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »
By that time, the Hospitallers were going through a re-branding exercise and had taken on Red with a White cross.

Of course, you are right  ::)  Thus proving I am a clown  :( 

I just had the St John Ambulance uniform and logo in my head. They are of course members of the Venerable Order of Saint John, so maybe black and white for the rank and file might still work. It certainly has that menacing ultra-religious look to it though.

Actually, red with white trim does sound quite appealing, but I'd have to do some sort of mock-up of each to see which looks best. A couple of boxes of Zouaves are definitely on my Christmas list.

Something else to ponder.....

I'll have two seperate units for the Knights of Malta. One will be a unit of 'knights' in steam augmented armour, along similar lines to this unreleased Foundry figure.

That's a great idea. It's got me thinking, maybe Ironclad's "Ironcladman" mini would be a fitting armoured knight.

I still haven't painted mine yet. Perhaps knights in red with white trim, others in black and white.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 11:37:53 PM »
I'd never thought about using the Knights of Malta for Horror/VSF games, but that's a great idea!
I've plenty of reference material for them and they would be perfect as a sort of Victorian SAS-type force dedicated to wiping evil from the face of the earth.

Hmm, Perry Zouaves in black with white trim, as their military arm?

This could be a fun (if expensive) new project  :D

We saw Othello last year (Lenny Henry) with a mid Victorian setting, they were mostly pale blue with yellow trims, but black & white should work.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »

That's a great idea. It's got me thinking, maybe Ironclad's "Ironcladman" mini would be a fitting armoured knight.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. I was going to get them sculpted (probably still will) but that would make a good base model. That head would have to go of course.