Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:44:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Good Rules set for AT-43 and Dust  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
Good Rules set for AT-43 and Dust
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »
Hi All,

I just discovered this forum the other night.  What a great site, can't believe I didn't find it until now!  I'm very impressed with the activity in this weird war subforum too.  I'm just getting into WWWII. 

Our group has lots of AT-43 and Dust figs.  We really want to find a common ruleset so we can use both sets of figs to duke it out. 

I have SOTR on order (with doomsday).  Seems like it can handle all the vehicles no problem, but I'm not sure how easy it is going to be to fit all the various infantry into it (especially for weapons like lasers and such).  Has anyone done up any adaptations to bring the AT-43/Dust infantry into SOTR?

Or if there is a better system out there?  Points systems are pretty important for our group, which unfortunately means a lot of very cool systems won't work for us.

Thanks!
-Tim

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
Re: Good Rules set for AT-43 and Dust
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »
SoTR is good, provided you also get the Doomsday supplement. I would also consider NUTS from Two Hour Wargames. Since everything in the THW family uses the same system, it's easy enough to pull bits from one game into another for flavor. Also, there is supposed to be a NUTS supplement for Weird War 2.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 02:27:37 AM »
The strength of SoTR as a system is that it is somewhat generic. There is no functional difference between a Russian or British SMG; so it would be pretty easy to use lasers as Packed LMGs or Anti-Mech Rifles or whatever. There's nothing stopping you from creating stats for laser weapons it's basically what's good for your gaming group.

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  SOTR plus Doomsday are already on their way to my place.  I'll try to post up what we come up with for conversion stats.

-Tim

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »
From the looks of the cover, this might be just what you are looking for.

http://2hourblog.blogspot.com/2011_05_01_archive.html

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:46:30 PM »
What about using FAD4?

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »
The upcoming "NUTS War Without End" book will allow you to use DUST , SOTR, AEWW2 or any weird war figure with the Two Hour Wargame system. You can even create new weapons and units to fit your gaming style. You can see an AAR at http://Http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:53:34 PM »
I don't know much about NUTS.  I will have to check it out for sure.  I've heard that it doesn't use a points system - which would be a bit of a problem for my gaming group, but if there was some way to gauge relative strengths of forces, that could do the trick.  Can someone describe how force selection is done in NUTS?

I've looked into FAD4 quite a bit.  Nice system for sure.  I especially love the way set-up and mission selection is done.  I would have to make a number of changes to adapt things like the Type III infantry from AT-43 and how heavy weapons are integrated into units instead of heavy weapon teams... also there aren't weapon design rules.

Thanks,
-Tim

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 02:26:44 AM »
Force selection in NUTS is squad and platoon based using various national lists. Your core squad may also be led by a "Star" with some additional attributes for a light cinematic feel. It doesn't use points, so you have to judge what would be " fair" for your games, but I think units sometimes naturally balance out. Example,a German squad may have one or more LMGs with a high rate of fire, but a US unit has semi- automatic rifles that equate to a good level of firepower.

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:54:01 PM »
Force selection in NUTS is squad and platoon based using various national lists. Your core squad may also be led by a "Star" with some additional attributes for a light cinematic feel. It doesn't use points, so you have to judge what would be " fair" for your games, but I think units sometimes naturally balance out. Example,a German squad may have one or more LMGs with a high rate of fire, but a US unit has semi- automatic rifles that equate to a good level of firepower.

Interesting.  I'll be interested in how you handle vehicle design, especially for weird war walkers.  When is "war without end" expected to be released?

-Tim

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 08:03:44 PM »
Hi Tim,
The rules will be available next month and will allow you to design your own vehicles and units, and also choose from designs similar to those already available -- DUST, Gear Krieg, SOTR and so on.