Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:43:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Alternatives to Sisters of Battle?  (Read 6533 times)

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
Alternatives to Sisters of Battle?
« on: July 06, 2011, 04:12:31 AM »
Playtesting Craig Cartmell's In the Emperor's Name ruleset has done something to me I had previosly swore would never happen again: it has made me want to acquire more 40k figures to pad out my skirmish forces.

So as a result I though I would pick up some Sisters of Battle for a Witchhunter retinue, but then I actually looked at the GW website and the prices they are charging. Yikes!

Bottom line: can anyone suggest another non-GW source for armored female warriors in the style or at least spirit of the Sisters of Battle(-in 28mm of course!) that won't require selling off the children to purchase?

As an alternative, I am thinking of converting either some old plastic void troops or old plastic beakie marines- does anyone have an idea of where I might suitable female heads with a militant look to them?

Thanks in advance!  :D :D :D

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:20:37 AM by Hrothgar »

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
Re: Alternatives to Sisters of Battle?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:46:01 AM »
The new multipart plastic sisters will be released very soon by GW...
They will be priced at GW's usual level, gulp, BUT according to an old chum who has seen them, they ARE worth the wait and the cash...

Proper multipart female marines... and with loads of spare heads....and very female bodies... or so im told....

So it may be worth waiting a few weeks just to see if the all new sisters are as stunning as sugested....

pip pip
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:31:14 AM »
can anyone suggest another non-GW source for armored female warriors in the style or at least spirit of the Sisters of Battle(-in 28mm of course!) that won't require selling off the children to purchase?
2nd hand models from the Warzone range? There were quite a few females in their catalogue if I'm not mistaken.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:59:42 AM »
You could try I-Kore's old Vasa range for some not-Seraphim.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »
Excalibur (I think) also makes 'Warzone Etoiles Mortant'-like females.

Not quite as gothic, though.

Edit:

Some of them found here: http://www.excalibur-miniatures.com/shop/index.php?cPath=6_36

The new shop is awful IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:46:44 AM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 06:52:47 PM »
Thanks for your helpful replies everyone. I have looked at the VOID figures, and they did not do much for me. Some Warzone miniatures might work, but they are quite expensive these days.

I may just hold out for that plastic boxed set, but in the meantime, I think I will try a small conversion of a  five-figure unit.
 This is what I am shooting for:

I have extra Void Interdictor troops unassembled, so I may borrow the bodies, legs and arms of those:

(image from user Bagpuss)

The backpack units and bolters could be borrowed from Space Marine bitz. The winged shoulder plates could be borrowed from the Gangs of Mega City One ganger set.

I am not worried about all the flowing material. It's not something that makes much sense to me  (all that flammability?) so I could omit it and just green stuff some symbols and purity seals.

The head will be the biggest challenge. The only female heads I have (and that I am aware of being available) are the old Dark Elder heads. I could trim the hair and sculpt on my own.

Alternatey, I could use female Eldar Guardian bodies along with the Space Marine bitz.

Either way, I will try to snap some pics and post here as a follow up. Thanks all!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:56:37 PM by Hrothgar »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:47:05 PM »
For female heads take a look at Hasslefree's female heads in their conversion bits.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 07:11:38 AM »
May be worth checking out any female 'Paladin' type figures. There are a lot on the market.
Some fantastic scupts out ther and could make some good character/unit leader types. (Artificier armour?)
Reaper have loads, just use their miniature finder using the 'female' option.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »
For what it's worth, among other "not-40k-factions", the "Shockforce" figure range (then produced by Demonblade) included a "not-SoB" faction as well, which were quite well done, if a bit "smooth-ish". Unfortunately, they don't seem to be available at the moment, but Mega Miniatures bought the rights to the Shockforce figures and already released some sets - I don't know, however, if the remaining factions will also be released.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »
I think I have one of those. It's a little bit smallish, compared to the current GW-scale, but VERY nice woman-in-powered-armour-with-curtains  ;)

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 05:03:22 AM »
Craig should get a commission from GW :D.  I've been considering buying some Sisters for ITEN, too.  I might even cave and buy the plastics when they come out. 

I have a squad of those Shockforce sisters, I bought them when they first came out as part of the Grenadier K-Force line way back in about 1995.   I must admit that I prefer the GW design.  My own opinion is that the  Shockforce sisters are dull and clunky looking.  I don't care much for the sculpting style.  But they work okay as female powered armor troopers.