Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:58:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 646
Total: 649

Recent

Author Topic: First encounter with foamed PVC : TV-station - roof detailed *11/07*  (Read 5913 times)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
In januari I bought some plasticville buildings. The TV-transmitting station was one of them.
Being OOP I'd rather leave the original intact, so I bought some foamed PVC sheets from Antenociti to make my own copy.
After measuring the pieces templates were created in Coreldraw.
The material can be easily scribed with a pattern (bricks in mycase). cutting the pieces didn't go as smooth as I suspected. I had some where the start or end of my cut wasn't following the line. (I probably should have made a fine cut along the ruler before applying some force on the cutter  ::))
Everything went together well with superglue and has a strong feel to it as well as weighing next to nothing.
first pic is of the original piece, next are of my attempt. Still poundering how I'll build an antenna.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:21:53 PM by zizi666 »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
Re: First encounter with foamed PVC : TV-station
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:11:06 PM »
very nice Work  :-* only the Roof looks a bit more detailed on the original  :-X

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »
very nice Work  :-* only the Roof looks a bit more detailed on the original  :-X

I know. I'm still in doubt how te recreate that border and maintain a piece that won't disintegrate when used on a tabletop.  :?

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
To detail the roof, I'd go with some strips of card (or even better, plasticard) to approximate the original. As for the roof's texture, a piece of big grit sandpaper (50? 100?) properly painted and drybrushed should look fine. Also, it should be very durable on the battlefield.

The antenna is kinda tricky, though it could be built in a different style. Check the net for some inspiration. The Plasticville antenna looks more like a flagpole than an emitter.

Yours truly,

Sir Dryden   

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:55:49 PM »
To detail the roof, I'd go with some strips of card (or even better, plasticard) to approximate the original. As for the roof's texture, a piece of big grit sandpaper (50? 100?) properly painted and drybrushed should look fine. Also, it should be very durable on the battlefield.

That's a yay on the sandpaper. Used it before on my fallout rest stop and I like how that turned out.
I happen to have a pack of evergreen angle shaped strips that might do the trick. These could be glue to the roof with a small offset thus creating the groove. Some strips under the roof (recessed) should complete it.
Now, if only I had one of those fancy cutter tables to get the precise angles on those styrene strips... ::)

The antenna is kinda tricky, though it could be built in a different style. Check the net for some inspiration. The Plasticville antenna looks more like a flagpole than an emitter.
True. I'm guessing this is what it represents :

which I think can only be reproduced with wire and solder.  :(

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 07:21:04 PM »
added styrene stips to the roof as well as sandpaper which I managed to cut too small  :-[, so I might tear it off and retry (or pray paint it with GW roughcoat, if my spraycan still works)

Still need to glue some strips of the foamed pvc underneath to create the recess under the roof as seen in the original.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: First encounter with foamed PVC : TV-station - roof detailed *11/07*
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »
I wouldn't rip it off. Those types of roofs often have seams and edges tarred over so maybe a beag of white glue suitable painted will do the trick on the gap.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:08:26 AM »
I wouldn't rip it off. Those types of roofs often have seams and edges tarred over so maybe a beag of white glue suitable painted will do the trick on the gap.

Thanks, will do that. It looks enormous on the photo due to the zoom, but in reality it's just a small strip. I'll just leave it that way.

Offline Benny

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »
For the antenna frame what about using wire mesh wrapped up into a rectangular tube? Looking great though. I have sheets of that stuff too, never knew what it was called. Now i know :)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
went out to get some 2X3mm styrene strip to finish the roof

roof and base (floor) are just primed (drying as we speak)
I wanted to spray the walls with roughcoat but alas, as I feared, the can lost it's pressure.  :'(
I'll probably go for a spraycan of granite-look paint to get some texture.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
It's looking very good, and I'd say better than the original.

I also like that you're using proper call letters, and none of that 'east of the mississipi' stuff...lol

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »
I also like that you're using proper call letters, and none of that 'east of the mississipi' stuff...lol

Hmm, and here I was, thinking only Belgium was divided  :D
KRDL or kurdle 109 is ofcourse an fictional radio station mentioned in an intro to a Queens of the Stone Age song  8)

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 01:02:20 AM »
Zizi- Great job. Downloaded the templates for this and the Poseiden Petroleum station that you posted the links for in another thread. Have built the TV Station out of cheap foamcore as a mock up. Then built it again out of the same foamcore this time enlarging the window in the front and right wall before adding a counter to the bottom of the window both in the front and on the side. Going to try to get some better material and build both versions again. The one with the larger window and counter will be used as the office/shack for somewhere like a miniature golf course, in my All Things Zombie games, where you go to pay to play and get your putter and ball. Now all I need to do is figure out how to make the miniature golf course, maybe have it run down where the artificial turf used for the green is missing revealing the concrete beneath, and of course a couple missing bricks that line each hole of the course, and maybe some clumps of dead grass growing out of one or two of the actual holes.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 01:16:04 AM »
Cheers mate,

I presume you already have this chap in your collection, then ?

;)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 03:53:11 PM »

Well we have KDKA here in Pittsburgh, but I'd take QOTSA's KRDL any day, great band!

Those textured spray paints can get messy. You can get textured gesso from an art or craft store. You can tint it with paint and spread/brush it on yourself for a bit more control.