Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:00:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Very American Civil War of today  (Read 14039 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: A Very American Civil War of today
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »
Yeah the NRA is a lobby group. I don't know any one who is ready to take a bullet for them  lol

Well there was one guy.......
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
Bahahahahaha! But he is already dead.
And I guess I had also forgot about Ted Nugget to. lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »
You know this whole thing would be a damn sight cooler set in the early 'seventies. You get the Panthers  who are immensely cool and Copplestone, handily, does a range of useful figures. You get to crank up the MC5  on the stereo and play Mad Like Eldridge Cleaver or just play Gil Scott Hermon's The Revolution Will Not be Televised, over and over.

The there's the Weather Underground, Patty Hearst and the SLA, much cooler cars, etc Blaxploitation riffs, etc to draw on.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
Agreed, revolutionary's back then had some class and style. Would also allow me to use my Vietnam era troops in the USA.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »
You know this whole thing would be a damn sight cooler set in the early 'seventies.

That would also help remind everyone not to take the whole thing too seriously.  Anyone up for Ken Kesey's Mercenary Pranksters?  Travelling around inside a convoy of specially converted armored personnel carriers complete with psychedelic paint jobs.  Their specialty, naturally enough, would be chemical warfare of the psychotropic kind, if you catch my meaning.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »
Several comments (opinions at best) have already been made that would ignite a war on another three letter forum - and quite rightly, IMO.

And the guy who argues to nuke the thread early on to keep the war from happening would get banned from that forum.

::)
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »
And talking about revolutions or civil war in the 70s I give you.
http://winterof79.blogspot.com/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
And the guy who argues to nuke the thread early on to keep the war from happening would get banned from that forum.

::)

That rather depends on the political leanings of the poster and whether the owner of the site in question has his magic g-string riding up his crack on that particular day. Tis a funny place. Of course if you wanted immunity over there, change your posting name to Jimmy Savile.  ;)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »
If these don't convince to go 1970s.....

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 06:56:17 PM »
Then maybe this will....

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »
I don't think putting it back 20-30 years ago would make it any less serious mind (at least the subject matter). The social issues facing the U.S today are only evolved issues it was faced with back then. And in some cases not enough water has gone under the bridge for some folks. Its like wargaming WW2, still a lot of people who remember it/affected by it, and it has to be one of the most horrendous wars in modern human history, but we still game it.
At the end of the day we're only using these actual facts as a foundation to extend and create a story/backdrop, doesn't mean its going to happen.

Its really all about personal opinion/perspective. But I think picking and choosing reduces people to double-standards. Its perfectly fine to just not treat it seriously given the circumstances, treat it as a story that gives your wargames some extra spice and play a few games.

No ones going to get offended at a bloke playing in his cellar with some beers and a few mates with toy soldiers, with a backstory that has some real world facts brought in. If they did, we'd be have been screwed for playing games based around WW2 and Post WW2 wars.

I personally think now that  U.S Civil War would probably have numerous mini factions, but the overall conflict would be between a Neo-Confederate-Traditional U.S-Corporate styled faction (lots of money but not many troops) V.S a sort of 'Middle Class' movement, perhaps backed by some local authorities/businesses or Foreign powers (Iran/Cuba lol) and perhaps a Third party like a U.S Government and what Loyal Military/Community assets remain trying to restore.

Maybe it would then progress to have independent states trying to avoid the conflict, Mexican drug lords, mercenaries etc.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 07:07:45 PM »
Or maybe just giant corporate-cult that splits int two factions Anaheim and Orlando and struggles for the American heartland.  :D

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
I'm actually not convinced a new Civil War with clear sides could happen at this point.  I think what you end up seeing is Rodney King riots at a larger level so that major urban centers become no-go areas and with outskirt municipalities trying to cut off outside access to defend what they have.   Fed and state govt initiallly try to maintain or regain control.   Food/water riots ensue.  More rural areas are generally not affected, at least initially.  But I don't see any real organized threat to the Fed Gov't attempting an actual revolution/regime change.   You may have bands of insurgent types, but no real state let alone national organization to them, and most will be better organized criminal gangs out to get what they can vice establish autonomous territories (they won't have any real desire to govern/provide gov't type services).

Just my take.  Frankly I hope and pray we don't go down that path.  I've been places where the gov't has collapsed and it would deeply sadden me to see it happen here.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:44:00 PM by CptJake »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
Indeed.

America's a tricky place to set anything based on ideology. The last time they had anything approaching a left-right divide in their national politics, at least in terms that the rest of us would identify as such, was probably 1972 and Nixon won in a landslide.  :(

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
i agree with pretty much ever thing you just said Scurv.
If any thing did happen, it would most likely be, small groups engaging in what can best be described as terrorist acts, for some most likely imaged slight.

And it would most likely be Fed, (ATF, FBI, NSA) against what ever Terrorist flavor of the week.  And even though there are some folks treating to break from the US, while I really don't give any of them any credence. It would take a total collapse of the system on a national level to have any thing approaching a real civil war.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:05:20 PM by commissarmoody »