Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:14:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691101
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming "Falling Skies"  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Gaming "Falling Skies"
« on: July 09, 2011, 05:02:16 PM »
Further to the thread here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=30679.0

.....on FX's new sci fi show, It's a bit like a grown-up Independence Day. Not hugely original, but well made, with decent characers and I have to say I'm really enjoying it so far. It has got me thinking of ways to game it.

28mm, due to existing figures, terrain etc already owned and preference.

Humans should be pretty easy, any armed 20thC types should suffice. I'm thinking Empress's SAS/SF figures as the really well equipped and a selection of stuff from Foundry's Street Violence and similar ranges, or head swap conversions of various "terrorist" figures for the less well-off.

Scenic items should be very easy - anything from 20th-21stC USA will fit, so lots of choice from wargames as well as model railway ranges. Due to the scope of it - ie the initial stages of the conquest of our planet, any country could be used as the background, but I fancy doing it as seen in the show.

The only sticking point could be the aliens. From what little I've seen so far there is nothing similar to those shown on-screen, but that's not really a problem as anything remotely similar could be used.

There have already been several good pieces of inspiration for scenarios which so far have been small-scale skirmishes, so any suitable sci-fi skirmish set would cope. I'm leaning to 5150, as a) it has a very good solo playability, b) it gives a good game in a short time and c) it's simple enough for me to grasp  lol

Anyone else considering this?

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
Re: Gaming "Falling Skies"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »
not falling Skies but im planing  to make a V (original 80s ) Game.I allready have the Newsteam from Copplestone,the Boilersuit Dudes from ERM (as Vs) and some Shuttles from Old Crow.
Need to get the Crooked Dice Minions as V Officers and some Resistance Fighters too...

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:16:14 PM »
I like the falling Skies idea, like you, I really enjoyed it despite the knocking it appears to have had. I thought that starting the first episode by dropping you straight into the action was a good one, rather than having an interminable lead in like the new V series, which frankly is sooooooooooo boring. What about using GW Genestealer types as skitters, the mechs could be sourced from the EM4 plastic mechs. As for the humans, you are spoilt for choice really.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 10:50:14 PM »
I like the falling Skies idea, like you, I really enjoyed it despite the knocking it appears to have had. I thought that starting the first episode by dropping you straight into the action was a good one, rather than having an interminable lead in like the new V series, which frankly is sooooooooooo boring. What about using GW Genestealer types as skitters, the mechs could be sourced from the EM4 plastic mechs. As for the humans, you are spoilt for choice really.

I think I have some old plastic genestealers knocking around somewhere and the Em4 idea is a good one too. Well worth looking into  :D

Not too bothered about slavishly copying the series, it's the inspiration it's given me to have some fun doing something broadly similar that's important.

Cheers!

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:00:46 AM »

'm giving it some thought. What rules are you thinking of using.....?

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 07:56:20 AM »
5150, by Two Hour Wargames.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
not falling Skies but im planing  to make a V (original 80s ) Game.I allready have the Newsteam from Copplestone,the Boilersuit Dudes from ERM (as Vs) and some Shuttles from Old Crow.
Need to get the Crooked Dice Minions as V Officers and some Resistance Fighters too...

Add to that Heresy security guards if that's not been mentioned alread.

Saw the trailer proper this am, i's on FX tonight at 9 so hoping this is the first episode?
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 07:59:16 PM »
Add to that Heresy security guards if that's not been mentioned alread.

Saw the trailer proper this am, i's on FX tonight at 9 so hoping this is the first episode?

I think it's a repeat of Ep 1. The first showing was Tuesday and Ep 2 airs this coming tuesday, so you should be ok  :D

Not the best sci-fi show you'll ever see, but is entertaining, looks "grittily" realistic and contains some great gaming ideas.

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 12:06:23 AM »
Any progress on this?
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.