Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690988
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Adding suspense/tension to the gaming experience  (Read 5991 times)

Offline chaplain severus

• Librarian
    • http://www.berkshirewargaming.com
Adding suspense/tension to the gaming experience
« on: November 04, 2007, 09:51:29 PM »
Never having GM'ed a horror miniatures game, what are some things you can do to scare up your players?

Nice and spooky terrain seems good. Which means more work for me  :(

Any thoughts advice or comments are welcome.
"Hige sceal pe heardra, heorte pe cenre, mod sceal pe mare pe ure maegen lytlao"

"Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, and spirit the greater as our strength lessens."
-English Proverb

http://www.berkshirewargaming.com

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 11:53:19 PM »
Dread, an RPG, has an interesting mechanic that replaces dice with draws from a stacked wooden tower taken from a Jenga game.

I won't say it adds horror, but it does add tension as increasing draws make the tower ever more unstable.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:09:37 AM »
I tried using candles when I ran a horror games many years ago.  Never again. Damn players kept playing with the wax and couldn't read the chicken scratch on their character sheets.
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 12:17:05 AM »
I'd consider going with some nice background music.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline chaplain severus

• Librarian
    • http://www.berkshirewargaming.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:22:41 AM »
Jenga tower?  :?:

definitely a tense game, but not what I was thinking.

I was thinking along the lines of spooky real life setting (candles!) or music.

and game mechanics.  Hidden monsters perhaps.

anything that could add to the tension.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming!

Matt

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:40:16 AM »
We mainly play Horror games in the winter months. It certainly seems more appropriate. We use cangle light and definately background music. The soundtrack from Bram Stokers Dracula is very atmospheric.

we played a Gothic Horror game earlier this year. The players were not allowed into the gaming room until it was time to start the game. - The music was on, the lights dimmed and the players only saw the board when it was time to start playing.
It certainly cranked up the tension and they were very aware that they were not in control of the situation.Don't allow too much joking around and be sparing on the pre games drinks and nibbles. Get the atmospeher building as they arrive.
 I also don't let the players see the opposition figures before a game, so they have no idea what they are up against or enemy numbers. It all helps. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Maenoferren

• Bookworm
    • Triple Ace Games
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 01:26:17 PM »
I have a spooky sounds CD that I bought from Tesco last HAlloween. Put it on really low so that it invades the subconcious.

THe last game I ran it was getting rather tense and the characters needed to hear a scream.. so instead of saying so I just screamed. They didnt half jump!  :twisted:

HAve to agree with what malamute said  too.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 11:09:39 PM »
Quote from: "Malamute"
We mainly play Horror games in the winter months. It certainly seems more appropriate. We use cangle light and definately background music. The soundtrack from Bram Stokers Dracula is very atmospheric.

we played a Gothic Horror game earlier this year. The players were not allowed into the gaming room until it was time to start the game. - The music was on, the lights dimmed and the players only saw the board when it was time to start playing.
It certainly cranked up the tension and they were very aware that they were not in control of the situation.Don't allow too much joking around and be sparing on the pre games drinks and nibbles. Get the atmospeher building as they arrive.
 I also don't let the players see the opposition figures before a game, so they have no idea what they are up against or enemy numbers. It all helps. :)

Agreed, Used to play CHILL a long time ago, as GM it would be often be a late evening winter game, heating turned down a fraction, snacks and stuff all in bowls, (no packaging to give any period reference, subdued lighting and candles.

Nice.

The Commander.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline tbroadwater

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »
...sounds like a great idea to control the setting and have everthing set up before the players enter. I imagine this work best with RPG but I would like to try it with some skirmish based scenarios. I admit to playing CHILL years back as well...loved that game!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »
Quote from: "tbroadwater"
...sounds like a great idea to control the setting and have everthing set up before the players enter. I imagine this work best with RPG but I would like to try it with some skirmish based scenarios. I admit to playing CHILL years back as well...loved that game!

Todd- one of the problems with skirmish or massed battles with miniatures is that any player has the advantage of the all seeing eye and sees everything on the tabletop, usually a while before the game starts.

But keeping the table layout a secret until the game starts is great. The players have no time to formualte plans in their mind or discuss it between them. They are literally thrown into the game and have to react immediately. It certainly works for our games :)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 04:04:02 PM »
Write out a detailed script in game terms for things that will happen no matter what is going on in the games.  For example, if you are playing in a castle have one of the turrets collapse if players are in it or not.  If they are make it to where they can survive if they roll well or have 1/2 of them trapped whilst the other is trying to dig them out before the Blob reaches them.  Or all of a sudden in your zombie game you see a small kid screaming and running from a couple zombies.  more then likely they will try to save the kid before they get chomped and if they don't have the horror and gilt of their selfishness effect their Morale for the remainder of the game.

It is common for my games to turn from one original goal to several as the game develops.  A rescue mission would turn into a sabotage mission as they progress and stumble upon something that they didn't see or know when they started.

Keep your player off guard and make them act their character or they get penalized for it in the game.  Make the good guys stay good no matter the recourse and make the baddies as bad as you can without making the players disgusted.

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 06:26:25 PM »
I generaly stab one random participant in the chest repetedly until he or she slips to the floor with a gurgle.  That tends to put the others in a suitably frantic sort of mood.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 06:57:17 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
I generaly stab one random participant in the chest repetedly until he or she slips to the floor with a gurgle.  That tends to put the others in a suitably frantic sort of mood.

OK, that Swedish Lead Adventurer meet is now OFF! :lol:
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »
How about using a kitchen timer to make the player have to make decisions and move very quickly?  That certainly would raise the tension... especially if the zombie hordes are slowly moving closer and closer! :lol:  :o

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 03:31:39 PM »
That reminds me of Space Hulk. Lot's of panic-driven decisions, there  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84