Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ball Tanks  (Read 8609 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Ball Tanks
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 12:29:21 PM »
Steal away, Pete :)
Next - a 28mm scale beastie.... AFTER I finish a few dozen other projects, that is...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Ball Tanks
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 12:41:16 PM »
Quote from: "Torradas"
Suspected as much :) Is that a prediction?  :wink:

Well, the Scots are making noises in that direction.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
Ball Tanks
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 02:14:28 PM »
Speaking as a "foreigner" (from the British perspective) I never understood why there are Rugby  teams from Scotland, Northern Ireland, England, etc. Same in football. Shouldn´t it there be a Great Britain  side for these sports? Never got that one.

But yes, the confusion abounds. Especially in ww2 wargaming, mainly because even learned persons tend to know that some Divisions were formed from geo-specific personnel and call them "Scottish force" or "Welsh force",etc.

What I´ve been taught (here in Portugal) is that Great Britain is a country, formed of four nations. Is this the correct interpretation?

Cheers,
Pedro

EDIT: Cleared up the text a bit.

Plynkes explained pretty well. We're the Balkans, only with cucumber sandwiches and the Barnett formula. Of course I doubt we'll fall away because for all Fishheid MacMoonfaces (Alex Salmond) protestations, rabblerousing etc. the Scottish population realise that without England they'd be a whole lot poorer (after all, they're only in the Union because they went bankrupt and got bailed by the English). Well, not yet anyway.

As you say the same approach continues into the army as most of the regiments are from specific locations and all four parts of the Union get their own Guards unit (aside from the English who get the nails Grenadiers). Plus you get Scottish divisions and Highland units and Lowland units and so on until nobody has any clue. Not to mention the fun in introducing the various badges, insignia, hats, kilts etc. that each regiment has. Its more fun than the US system of numbers but very confusing.

The idea of four nations in one is essentially correct. The powerhouse is the Union between England (which includes Wales) and Scotland. Ireland got added later, then it was given up except for the North. And Wales stopped being part of England at a date I forget thanks to a clerical error. Of course if you want to get really complicated you can venture into English nationalist politics which maintain that England itself includes four nations and of course the  demands of the Cornish to be recognised as a nation within the Union and to have their Stanner (Parliament) back. And then...

As you can see it gets confusing fast but 4 for the price of 1 is pretty much correct.
"'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'"- Nigel Molesworth

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
Ball Tanks
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 04:54:24 PM »
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Ball Tanks
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 03:31:50 AM »
Quote from: "xeoran"
Speaking as a "foreigner" (from the British perspective) I never understood why there are Rugby  teams from Scotland, Northern Ireland, England, etc. Same in football. Shouldn´t it there be a Great Britain  side for these sports? Never got that one.

But yes, the confusion abounds. Especially in ww2 wargaming, mainly because even learned persons tend to know that some Divisions were formed from geo-specific personnel and call them "Scottish force" or "Welsh force",etc.

What I´ve been taught (here in Portugal) is that Great Britain is a country, formed of four nations. Is this the correct interpretation?

Cheers,
Pedro

EDIT: Cleared up the text a bit.

Plynkes explained pretty well. We're the Balkans, only with cucumber sandwiches and the Barnett formula. Of course I doubt we'll fall away because for all Fishheid MacMoonfaces (Alex Salmond) protestations, rabblerousing etc. the Scottish population realise that without England they'd be a whole lot poorer (after all, they're only in the Union because they went bankrupt and got bailed by the English). Well, not yet anyway.

As you say the same approach continues into the army as most of the regiments are from specific locations and all four parts of the Union get their own Guards unit (aside from the English who get the nails Grenadiers). Plus you get Scottish divisions and Highland units and Lowland units and so on until nobody has any clue. Not to mention the fun in introducing the various badges, insignia, hats, kilts etc. that each regiment has. Its more fun than the US system of numbers but very confusing.

The idea of four nations in one is essentially correct. The powerhouse is the Union between England (which includes Wales) and Scotland. Ireland got added later, then it was given up except for the North. And Wales stopped being part of England at a date I forget thanks to a clerical error. Of course if you want to get really complicated you can venture into English nationalist politics which maintain that England itself includes four nations and of course the  demands of the Cornish to be recognised as a nation within the Union and to have their Stanner (Parliament) back. And then...

As you can see it gets confusing fast but 4 for the price of 1 is pretty much correct.

Basically most brits can't stand each other but they are too polite to come right out and say it.  

Actually the U.S. is getting pretty regionalized as far as culture and political attitude as well.  We don't really have a national identity anymore just a bunch of people claiming their the only "real" americans.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Ball Tanks
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 10:40:50 AM »
Quote from: "Vanvlak"
Steal away, Pete :)
Next - a 28mm scale beastie.... AFTER I finish a few dozen other projects, that is...

Sheesh, I'm now quoting myself - aaargh!
Anyway - done (sort of):
http://forum.backofbeyond.de/viewtopic.php?t=3386

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Ball Tanks
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 03:35:33 AM »
Outwardly, the T-35 looked like the English A1E1 "Independent" five-turret tank:

English? English? Theres no such thing as a blasted English tank you buffoon of a man! Its British. Really, can you not tell the difference? Britain is the country and England is one quarter of it. Do they not have geography in America? Or did it stop in the 1950's?[/quote]
Actually, Wales, Scotland and England are countries. Britain is a state. :wink:
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin