Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:49:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Venezuelan Enterprise. Suggestions???  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Powered Armored Stooge

• Librarian
  • Delightfully Mad
A Venezuelan Enterprise. Suggestions???
« on: July 23, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
As I walked along the road this morning I was hit with inspiration. How about a modern pulp campaign based game set in the very near future in a south American country that Involves multiple warlords fighting improbable battles with modern and outdated technology. So I vidied to myself which country would be turbulent enough once the main source of power disappeared. The answer came from one of my favorite video games: Mercenaries 2. Obviously it must be Venezuela. A Hugo Chavez-type, a strong man who fancied himself to be Simon Bolivar Reborn would naturally leave a Charlemagnean power vacuum that could not be easily filled by any hand-picked successor or successors. This would make a perfect opportunity for petty warlords to scramble up and duke it out accross Amazon and ruined cityscape. Naturally random encounters and loot would be determined by encounter cards and players would start out with one of several paramilitary types; mercenaries, Venezuelan Army, enterprising nations states such as Columbia and Guyana who want more land, or Chinese and United States troops who want oil. Natural random encounters range from wild animals to zombies and everything in-between.

(Yes I am very well aware that Hammers has a similar idea involving the Amazon and cards. But its set in a totally different time period and much more realistic than what I am thinking of)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: A Venezuelan Enterprise. Suggestions???
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
Great idea! I have been pushing around ideas on doing some modern or post modern conflict in a fictional failed western nation for awhile myself. Its a toss up between a break away. Russian republic, 2nd Big US Civil war(as opposed to all the small ones)
http://www.cracked.com/article_18512_5-lesser-known-completely-ridiculous-american-civil-wars.html
Check it out if you are looking for a chuckle
Or South American conflict. I am going for a 20mm scale and will most likely be using FOF as a base for it. Already got the PMC I will be using already flushed out.
I am interested in seeing were you take this.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Powered Armored Stooge

• Librarian
  • Delightfully Mad
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 09:04:54 PM »
Fields of Fire? The Game based on Solitaire? Hmmm....  ::) That could be useful for the campaign and taking territories but I still not sure what ruleset to base actual warband combat off of. Maybe Nuclear Renaissance because it allows for custom vehicles but I also dont to have go out buy d10s when I already have piles of d6s lying all over the place.

I was planning on just taking a map of Venezuela and chopping it up into nice territories.

The war of North Carolina Vs. Georgia was just Hilarious. Two states fighting over a patch of mud NOBODY wanted.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »
LOL, I was refereeing to Force on Force, but it does use cards for random events  :D
I am leaning more towards a almost really world feel with my game, but I am/will be using the Nuke-Ren rules for a post A-poc project.

I have a feeling yours will be more tough and cheek then my game.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »
There is a thread in the forum by the_answer_is_42 which takes place in the 60's (I think).
Do a search and you might get some inspiration (I failed to find it myself :( )