Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:59:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Splintered Lands dwarves for HOTT (Shooters posted 4/8)  (Read 5483 times)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Splintered Lands dwarves for HOTT (Shooters posted 4/8)
« on: July 24, 2011, 11:19:17 PM »
So... this is most certainly not vintage Citadel. It's not even 28mm, but 15 (18?)! What the hell am I doing? Well, I've had these for a few years and thought it was time to do something with them. Thus, a HOTT army took shape. I'm basing them as 28s (60mm frontage), as 15mm elements looked puny with these giant Bob Olley dwarves on them. This size allows me to a fit a few more models on each base. Good thing. More lead. Yay!

This is my first semi-finished stand. The figs are done, obviously the base itself isn't. I'm doing them all in one go, when I have all three shooter stands done. 9 minis finished, 3 more to go and that's 12 in the bag. They paint up quickly, being small and clad in ring mail. Also, I'm trying to do it as quick as possibly so only a basecoat over black primer, wash (standard GW stuff) and then one level of highlights and/or drybrushing on top of that. As small, little rank and file men I try to not linger. I got five of them done all in one go today (well, spread out - but still). Ludcrious speed for me.

Fun, but it irks me they all look like clones. =) Some parts of the sculpts are rather ropey (especially faces and the helmets) but I think they're great figs especially considering the scale.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:31:24 PM by phreedh »
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: Splintered Lands dwarves for HOTT
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:44:27 AM »
Have we all been bitten by the 15mm bug at the same time, or was it that first post by some brave soul (Relic?) that allowed us all to reveal our secret shame? ;)

Nice painting on some cool minis!

Offline OccasionalWargamer

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:24:40 AM »
Nice paint job for 15's!  I would have thought they were 25/28mm if you hadn't said otherwise.
OccasionalWargamer

http://occasionalgamer.wordpress.com/  --my wargaming blog

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:57:49 AM »
Well done mate!

Quite a speed you had while painting those and the results are very good. You can always put more highlights if you feel like it but imo they look good for the gaming table. I personally don't like the scale of those dwarves since they don't fit with other ranges at all. The sculpts are nice though.

The fact that they look the same is just a good thing since they are all rank and file warriors and should look the same. It would look more odd if they were all in different colors. I tend to paint all the rank and file the same colors and then the leaders / mages different but having some of the same colors to bind them with the rest of the army.

Keep up the good work!

Have we all been bitten by the 15mm bug at the same time, or was it that first post by some brave soul (Relic?) that allowed us all to reveal our secret shame? ;)

lol well.... I hope that now as the door has been opened everyone has the courage to post their photos of their 15mm warriors  lol

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:42:07 AM »
OccWa: They're really large 15mm figs. Rather like 18mm...

Chris: I've got a feeling 15mm is the new fad, replacing retro gaming and old school miniatures as the "it" thing.

Relic: With "clones" I meant rather the pose and look of the sculpts themself. I agree, units should be uniform. =)

The blades are next (SL dwarf huscarls, ie also clones) and I'll paint them exactly like the shooters. The shields will mechrite red and one of the foundation blues, in different patterns.

Then I'm doing the warbands figs (dwarf bondi) and they are proper individuals, looking more like (armed, but unarmoured) villagers with shields. I'm thinking different (nature) coloured clothing between them and then uniform shields in the army colours, much like the blades.

After that, the army is nearly done. The mounted Hero and guard will be painted with blue robes, the Magician and guard will have red robes.

Here's a shot of the mockup of the army:

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »
That is a very nice looking warband there. I too have joined the ranks of the 15mm convertees very recently. Maybe it is something in the air?
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
Finished painting and doing up the bases of the dwarves I posted above. Three stands of shooters, based with 25mm HOTT standards. 18 mm figures sculpted by Bob Olley, from Splintered Lights' Splintered Lands range.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Splintered Lands dwarves for HOTT (Shooters posted 4/8)
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »

Really nice work 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:04:52 PM »
Those really are cool!  :-*  Are they 18mm to the top of the head or they would be dwarfs in the 18mm sense, ie 15mm while a human would be 18mm or so?

Offline Boromir_and_kermit

• Bookworm
  • Chief Occulite
    • Darwin Games
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:37:20 PM »
They look fantastic! Great work mate!

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 08:39:25 AM »
Those really are cool!  :-*  Are they 18mm to the top of the head or they would be dwarfs in the 18mm sense, ie 15mm while a human would be 18mm or so?
The latter, they are 18mm scale dwarves. Their main "problem" in playing well with others is the bulkiness. Chunky chaps. =)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »
The Little Guys have a TREMENDOUS amount of character, especially considering how tiny they are..."tiny" from my tired-old-eyes perspective that is. You did a FINE JOB bringing out all that personality. VERY WELL DONE!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:20:35 PM by DeafNala »
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »
I have quite a few of these guys myself.

They look great on your finished bases! Look forward to seeing the whole army completed.
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline alrith72

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
Loving them, really nice work  :)

Offline OccasionalWargamer

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 03:09:29 AM »
Keep the pics coming!  Great stuff!