Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:05:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690999
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: In the Emperor's Name - back in the workshop.  (Read 8597 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
In the Emperor's Name - back in the workshop.
« on: July 27, 2011, 07:39:11 AM »
Hi All,

The Forge of War Development Group are currently reviewing the ItEN rules in light of all the playtesting and excellent feedback we have had from around the globe.

We intend to publish a second edition in the near future as three separate booklets; the Core Rules; the Retinues, and; the Campaign System. This will make the system both easier to handle, and easier to update.

Most of the changes are clarifications or tightening of the rules. One though will affect the points system and I'd like to give you fair warning of this, especially if you are creating cards.

There seems to be general agreement that Grit, possibly the most important troop characteristic, is under-costed. The current thinking is that we should recost it as follows:

Grit    Points
6+       1
5+       2
4+       4
3+       9
2+      16

In line with this the recommended points cost for a retinue has been lifted from 120 to 150 points.  I have recosted all the forces in the Retinues booklet and the points system seems to work with very few of the example retinues having to change to meet the 150 point limit.

I am hopeful that the second edition is not far off, certainly no more than a couple of weeks away.

As always your feedback on these ideas is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Craig
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Oliver

• Librarian
Re: In the Emperor's Name - back in the workshop.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:40:13 AM »
All seems fair enough, wish I'd known I would have held off printing it out...

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
I have to say these rules look very cool and dovetail nicely with what I am painting right now.  Thanks for working on them and making them available!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:47:35 PM »
Craig, I had a look at the rules and they are very promising.  What do you think about the option of giving one or two models in the retinue additional "hits" or "wounds" so they are not taken out in one shot?

For skirmish games with a few models, I like the idea of certain models being able to weather a hit or two before going down.  Anyway, looking forward to your revisions.

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
  • Prophet of 1/35th scale gaming
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:11:50 PM »
You're probably getting tired of retinue suggestions, but what about the Sensei warband from R/T Slaves to Darkness/Lost and the damned? ITEN reminds me of it!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 07:27:02 AM »
Craig, I had a look at the rules and they are very promising.  What do you think about the option of giving one or two models in the retinue additional "hits" or "wounds" so they are not taken out in one shot?

Hi,

One of the objectives behind the Forge of War Development group is to hand control back to the players.  If you wish to have characters with two wounds then have them. We positively encourage people to develop their own house rules.

However, the majority of people you'd give two wounds to, i.e. Leaders and Elite troops, already benefit from better armour than the common trooper and a better Grit characteristic to show their better motivation and ability to stay in the fight.

Play a couple of games and I think you'll  see that high Grit characters survive remarkably well without the need for two wounds.

At the end of the day though it is up to you  :D

Cheers,
Craig.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 07:29:40 AM »
You're probably getting tired of retinue suggestions, but what about the Sensei warband from R/T Slaves to Darkness/Lost and the damned? ITEN reminds me of it!

1. We never, ever get tired of retinue suggestions! For example, we've just received a list for an Ork Goffik Rokk Band  :o
2. I do believe that one of our chaps has already volunteered to produce a Sensei list.

Cheers,
Craig.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 02:46:41 PM »

Play a couple of games and I think you'll  see that high Grit characters survive remarkably well without the need for two wounds.

At the end of the day though it is up to you  :D

Cheers,
Craig.

Hah-hah! This is sage advice, and I often find myself giving it to folks about my own rules, so we will give it a few plays as written.  Very nice, clean-looking set of rules. 

When you do your revised edition, might I suggest more white space in the layout?  makes for easier reading! 

Thanks, again, Craig!  I am itching to take these rules out for a spin!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »
Also, any rules for Untouchables, or Psychic Blanks in the works?  Thanks!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »
When you do your revised edition, might I suggest more white space in the layout?  makes for easier reading! 

I am always aware that people will want to print out the rules, often at their own expense. This is why I minimize the amount of white space.

As for Untouchables, well there was no intention to, until you reminded me of them. I'm a great fan of Inquistors Eisenhorn and Ravenor, which is why I wrote the rules in the first place, and the use of such 'blanks' was critical to their stories.

So they will appear in the second edition.

Thanks,
Craig.

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »

:-*

Wish I could find a cheap Black Library Eisenhorn in 28mm!!!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 12:21:26 PM »

Thanks,
Craig.

Thanks, Craig!

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 05:10:55 AM »
Backyardpatrol, it's not hard to kitbash a 28mm Eisenhorn if you have access to Empire militia and IG bits. I will try to post a pic and recipe tomorrow...

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »
I will try to post a pic and recipe tomorrow...

I have lots of those bits, just for making Inquisitors! Interested to see your take. I love the 54mm model, and the 28mm model is almost a clone.

I started building one using the Inquisitor Karamazov' torso, but thats as far as I got.

I'm making two different retinues, one with old school Rogue Trader era mini's, and one with the newer figures from the last few editions.
I'd love to find the Rt Sensei model, lost one on ebay a while back. Not that great a figure but nice to have in the collection!

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 01:16:06 AM »
@ Backyardpatrol-it is by no means finished, but here is my own effort thus far:

The torso and arms are from the Empire Militia boxed set. The torso is the one with the gentleman's coat and braid.
The legs are from the plastic Catachan squad set. The head is bareheaded Cadian from the basic Cadian squad set. The staff is made from two parts-the staff itself was from the lamp in the Mordheim humans/Empire Militia set, and the head was taken from the terminator sgt. in the  Assault on Black Reach set. I sculpted on the high coat collar, the shoulder pads, and the breast plate (my own addition, but it covers the frilly shirt underneath, and some Inquisitorial baubles. It was a very fast and simple little conversion, and while nowhere near perfect, I am very happy with how he turned out.