Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:26:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Storing figures at home  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
Re: Storing figures at home
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 02:42:47 AM »
Do you have the part number or model name for the Ikea display case?
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 03:35:34 AM »
OK, they are nice for less than a 1,000 figs but if you have more than several thousand, wall space becomes a problem for glass shelves.  Currently I use wood cigar boxes I got for less than $1 each but they don't hold much more than 30 or so, I'm thinking of plastic drawers about 2 inches high that will hold about 140 figs (1 inch bases for 28mm) so with a seven drawer unit that's a 1,000 figures.  Any better ideas I can use.

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 03:49:10 AM »
Be warned about the IKEA display cases.

They are perfect for displaying crockery.
I bought five of them to display my figure collection.
Which is not crockery.
My one true love realised that they were perfect for crockery.
I now have five display cabinets full of perfectly displayed crockery.

My figure collection is in plastic boxes in my shed.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 04:25:31 AM »

For some of my miniatures I purchased $50 Baseball Display Cases, they work great, look good and keep my minis ready at hand for late night gaming sessions.  I did have to hang them upside down (due to the ball divets) but I think the manufacturer designed them with that possibilty in mind.

\"what slaughters of the people there were, what famine and what thirst oppressed the wretched earth.\" -History of the Franks

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 05:01:50 AM »
Thanx,

the case was procured from a model train shop gone bankrupt. It was used to store N-scale locs.
There were 2 but one was already spoken for  :(
The really awesome part is that it's only 5 inch deep en has lots of shelves whereas standard ikea cabinets are large and offer only a few shelves because they are ment for larger objects to store in.
(I've seen ads from cabinet makers in modelling magazines, but I shudder to think what they might charge  o_o)

The building is scratchbuilt using GW templates that were featured in an old White Dwarf.
It's a coaching inn. Should have some walling + a smitty but either I didn't make thoes or I gave it to someone to use and never got it back. dunno. very long time ago... ::)

OK, they are nice for less than a 1,000 figs but if you have more than several thousand, wall space becomes a problem for glass shelves.  Currently I use wood cigar boxes I got for less than $1 each but they don't hold much more than 30 or so, I'm thinking of plastic drawers about 2 inches high that will hold about 140 figs (1 inch bases for 28mm) so with a seven drawer unit that's a 1,000 figures.  Any better ideas I can use.

Both because they are tied together.  Before I moved to my current house, I used shelves that were based on model train storage shelves.  The shelves are shallow enough to not create dark caves and they are very close enough together that the figure density is quite high.  Prices for prebuilt racks are pretty high - but it is a simple enough project that you should not have too much difficulty building one yourself using off the shelf materials (so no need to have special wood working tools).  I had two 4 foot by 4 foot shelves (only 3" deep though) that held around 1000 miniatures each.

Also...they are too small for crockery.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 09:39:06 AM »
God that's some nice stuff, not sure what I'll do as the games room os also a guest room....

Anatoli are the Ikea shelves fixed or could more be added (you can buy spares from customer service usually for breaks etc)?

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 10:44:53 AM »
The name of the display case is "Detolf". About the shelves, the positions are fixed with a metal frame, the glass shelves themselves are loose so you can remove them for cleaning etc.

They are rickety but cheap (500SEK or something like 50£/80USD). The only real flaw is that you have those large empty spaces between the shelves. It would have been perfect to have 4 instead of 3 shelves and have them slighly closer to each other.  And they don't come with the lamp seen in the left one.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 10:51:04 AM »

Which is not crockery.

Not sure if I'm more awed by five cases of painted figs or five cases of crockery!?!?!

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 08:35:32 PM »

Which is not crockery.

Just read this post aloud to my other half (I have only 2 Ikea cabinets), and it may have given her ideas...
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »
I have quite a few of plastic storage boxes, mostly the shoe box size. Also a collection of cigar boxes, including a couple of Black Pearl boxes for my pirate figures. I also have a few old display cases, were counter top watch cases. Four or five shelves 2 1/2 to 4" deep & about 4" high.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
I use the cartonboard storageboxes (the ones with three shelves), good enough if you be careful when you take a drawer out and cheap maybe €2 a piece.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 02:56:29 AM »
I use plastic craft storage boxes like these:

They are $1.99 at Hobby Lobby or Michaels here in the USA.  I can lay plastic figures in them without worry.  For metal figures I put little pieces of foam (the kind that used to come in blister packs) in each slot to avoid damaging the PJ's.  I can then label the ends of the box with the contents and store them on shelves with labels facing out.  Cheap, dust-free alternative to pricey display cabinets.  Also they are quick to pack up for transport.
This is my boomstick!