Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:53:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Flying boat project  (Read 4148 times)

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
Pulp Flying boat project
« on: August 07, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
Last weekend instead of catching up and finishing projects I've already have on the go I started a new project which I've been thinking about for a while!With my balsa carving skills improved by my motorboat and war canoe projects I had to try making a Flying boat,origionally I was thinking of a Sikorski40 but the extensive strutt work put me off,so I went with a fictional design with various elements taken from real planes of the period.this allows for changes of plan during construction.
I started by glueing various pieces of balsa together to form the fusalage,after drawing a centerline on each piece(important!)

the bottom piece was'nt glued but attached using dowels glued into it dry fitting into matching holes on the top piece this is so the model can be used on a flight stand or as a waterline model

Next I drew on the basic outline on the top and sides and cutaway the excess wood to ruogh out th basic shape

Then sanding to refine the shape and add the keel to the bottom, used sandpaper wrapped around a piece of dowling for that

A little more cutting to add detail to the hull

that pretty much took care of the boat part next came the wings and tail i'll have to post that later today.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Re: Pulp Flying boat project
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
Looks awesome which kind of wood do you use? It seems really easy to shape.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:56:38 PM »
Balsa wood ,i'm using pieces from a grab bag of the stuff otherwise i would have tried for a longer fusalage.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
Balsa wood ,i'm using pieces from a grab bag of the stuff otherwise i would have tried for a longer fusalage.

Thanks but was is a grab bag?

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 08:21:43 PM »
In this case it's bag of randomly sized pieces of wood basicly leftovers and odd cuts from the mill cut to fit in a bag and sold a slightly cheaper price than buying the standard sizes,every bag has a different assortment.hope this helps

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
Shaping up very nicely so far - a project like this has been something I've considered to get a solid gamer-proof aircraft or two on the table... I was even casually pricing sheets, slabs and blocks of balsa just yesterday while browsing our local hobby store.

Thanks for reminding me of the balsa grab-bags, though, one of those from the craft store should set someone up for a lot of projects!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »

Looking good so far 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »
In this case it's bag of randomly sized pieces of wood basicly leftovers and odd cuts from the mill cut to fit in a bag and sold a slightly cheaper price than buying the standard sizes,every bag has a different assortment.hope this helps

It does thanks! Never hear of something with mine local wood supplier.

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:46:40 PM »
It does thanks! Never hear of something with mine local wood supplier.
Balsa wood is usually only sold in hobby and craft stores it's not something you would find in a lumberyard

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
When you started off, I thought- well that looks a bit naf, but then as I scrolled down, the thing started to take shape before my very eyes, and I thought Wow! you have got some tallent there- keep it up, I want to see more!
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:31:25 PM »
i did'nt take too many photos of the next steps as i was on a bit of a roll!
Wings were drawn out and cut from 3/16'' sheet of Balsa ,two pieces and glued together.Next I carved the conection between the wings and fusalage,I don't know the proper name for this,sorry. This piece will be glued to the underside of the wing and conected to the fusalage by a mortise and tenon unglued so the wings are removable for easier storage

Not many pic.s of the tail construction I'm afraid it went pretty fast i did have to glue another piece of balsa to the top of the rear fusalage and whittle and sand the tail section quiet a bit before glueing the tail in place

finaly i added sponsons to the  bottom of the waterline section,this is a simple cut and shape  piece inserted into a cutout on the bottom of the model

and that's as far as I've gotten so far here are some shots of the model with the wings attached sorry about the quality of the photos the wings kept casting shadows

I hope to get the final details and painting done in the next couple of days

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 12:46:59 AM »
Very cool, old-school modelmaking. What are you going to do for engines? Can I suggest an engine pod on top of the wing, with a tractor/pusher arrangement, that is, an engine and prop at each end of the pod?

Also, stick a 28mm figure alongside for your next photos, please!

Offline OccasionalWargamer

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 01:28:43 AM »
Looking good! 
OccasionalWargamer

http://occasionalgamer.wordpress.com/  --my wargaming blog

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 10:56:05 AM »
so far: WOW!  :o

best wishes
Drachenklinge
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Online Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 08:32:54 PM »
TaleSpin! I don't know if you realize it, but that is basically the Disney cartoon from the 90s.