Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:34:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rules query regarding shooting damage....  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Colonel Weapons

• Lurker
  • Those are dummies...dummy!
Rules query regarding shooting damage....
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »
Hi to all, this is my first post, and it's a query regarding shooting and hit allocation. Please forgive me if this seems like a dumb question!! 

When allocating hits to a unit from shooting, do you only allocate the hit results to those figures that were in range of the firers or is the whole unit subject to fire?
For example, a unit of 6 men fires at a unit of 8 men. All of the unit have line of sight but only 4 are in range of the target unit.
Only 3 of the target unit has figures that are within range of the shooters, so I presume that they are the only figures that can receive damage etc.
Have I got that right?

Again, apologies if this seems rather long-winded and also rather dumb, I'm sure I'm over complicating things in my mind,  but I have been playing other rule sets lately and they can sometimes leave "rule residue" that clouds my understanding of a new set of rules. I recently played a game where if one member of a unit could be fired at, then all the other unit members were eligible to be hit. So I'm really just looking for peace of mind that I'm understanding correctly.

I received the T&T book in the post this morning and I'm very pleased with what I've read so far, thanks for a great set of rules!  :D

Cheers and best regards.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Rules query regarding shooting damage....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 06:14:50 AM »
Hi,

thanks for your question. I hope you will still like the rules after my answer  ;)

We are friends of simplicity. The target units player can apply hits as he desires. All VISIBLE models are a valid target.

The exception is that he must apply hits to easier targets first.

Example : Hero and Leader prepare the unit for the charge and are standing foolishly in the open to encourage the men, six soldiers  are not that confident and are still  behind a wall.

To disturb the lecture the opposing player starts shooting and  scores three hits. The target units player must apply two hits to both his valuable figures before he can pick one of the ordinary soldiers.

If the whole unit stands  in the open the target units player could select which miniature is hit.  Even if it is two inches out of range.

I hope that helps. Do not hesitate to contact us. We like to hear from you and we like to discuss rules. We also like to hear suggestions or things you do not like.

Please enjoy the game !

Cheers
Björn

, ,

Offline Colonel Weapons

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »
Thanks very much for the prompt reply  :)

Ok, so let me see if I have this correct;

1.)All figures in a unit are eligible for hit allocation as long as they are all in LOS and at least one of them is within shooting range.

2.)Do all the shooting figures have to be in range too, or is it the same as above, as long as one of the firing unit is within range then they can all fire as long as they have LOS?

3.)I am a little confused by the example you gave where the figures in the open receive the damage before those in cover. I thought that if even one figure was not in cover the whole unit was regarded as being out of cover. Have I misunderstood?

Thanks again, and I am still very happy with the book. I feel sure it is the set of rules I have been looking for  :)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:28:51 AM by Colonel Weapons »

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 06:43:17 AM »

Good morning !

Like all examples mine was a bit confusing too I think.  :)

1. The shooter checks for LOS of all his figures in the firing unit !
2. The shooter measures for all his figures  to see if they are in firing range !
Only the models in firing range can fire.
3. The shooter checks if friendly models are in the way. See combat diagrams in the rules
4. Calculate modifiers - roll your dice !
5. Check how many hits you scored
6. Target units player applies hits on the unit. He selects what models are hit. Even if they are out of range.

Forget that stuff with cover for now.  :) It will be in the new errata download soon.

Best regards
Björn

Offline Colonel Weapons

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
 Thank you Björn,

That is beautifully clear now  :)

I will probably be back with more questions at some point..  ;)

Many thanks.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 06:07:01 AM »
you are welcome. I know we were not 100 % precise in some rule explanations. Or I may say " what was clear for us must be understandable for other players too "  :)
best regards
Björn