Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:34:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690786
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Report: It's fun to slay at the Wyemm Seeyay - Complete! 01.10.2011  (Read 7643 times)

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
Having already tested the waters for interest in Warhammer 3rd edition, I noticed there was interest, but seemingly not enough to capture the imagination of the wider community. Then, a fellow enthusiast contacted me and suggested that we have a game. The catch, of course, is that he lives in The Netherlands and I live in England.

Foiled.

That is, until the fellow (Dreamfish) revealed his amazing technology. So, the modern miracles of the 21st century will allow us to play. By using his specially preserved Warhammer 3 shrine and an IP camera, we are able to present a battle report, which we'll report turn by turn as it happens.

We've done our level best to present all the lovely old school goodness such an effort entails and I certainly hope that it captures the imagination and the memories of a bygone era.

So, of course, we start with the scenario prologue...a pun laden tribute to nonsense that formed scenario's back in the day...

(Prologue) It's fun to slay at the Wyemm Seeyay

“Daddy, can I borrow the chariot?”

Lord  Vass Saleen regarded his son cooly. “No.”

“Daddeee,” moaned the young prince, “pleeeeease? How’m I gonna ever be a proper prince if I don’t have battles and stuff?”

Vass sighed. He loved his son and deeply wanted him to grow up to be a powerful, wise elven prince that would do his name and his household the honour it deserved. It was so very unfortunate, then, that the young Prince Gaymar the Foccer was such a blithering idiot. So far, Vass had managed to keep the fool out of any serious engagements, but other members of the court would start asking questions soon. Why should they commit their firstborn to battle whilst he hid his progeny deep in his hold?

Gaymar sensed his father softening. “Please?”

“What’ve you got in mind?”

“Yippee! Woohoo! Daddy, you’re the best!”

Vass winced as he watched his son hopping about and clapping. Bloody fool. “Hang on, son - just hang on. I haven’t said yes yet. What is it that you want to do? What do you want the chariot for?”

“Oh, nothing much. There’s a few dwarves setting up some sort of outpost on western border of Wyemm Seeyay. I want to nip that in the bud.”

“Are they inside the border? Have they broken our laws?”

“No,” Gaymar said. “Not yet. But you know dwarves, Daddy. They’re probably inside the border even now. Chopping stuff down and making stuff and singing their vulgar songs. We need to act now!”

Vass raised an eyebrow as Gaymar prattled on with his ever more excitable diatribe. Any minute now he would start shaking his fist. That was usually when Vass interrupted.

“Gaymar. Son. Calm down, dear - it’s just a dwarf outpost.”

Gaymar watched his father’s placating hands. “And they wear beards. Beards, Daddy, beards! Will their abominable practices never cease? They must be cut down before our children are tainted - what if our future generations all grow up wanting beards? Knowing they can never have them? How will they feel, Daddy?”

Vass blinked at his son. It was the beard thing again. He was sure his son was suffering from some sort of beard envy. He’d be the laughing stock of the aristocracy if news ever got out his son wanted a beard. Maybe if he ran a few dwarves through this fascination would wane…

“Okay, boy, maybe we should keep an eye on these beard-wearing dwarves.” He raised his eyebrow as Gaymer nodded eagerly at him. “How many dwarves are there?”

“Just a few, Daddy.”

“How many?”

“Um…ten? I think?”

“How. Many. Bloody. Dwarves. Are. There. Gaymar?”

“Fourteen. Definitely fourteen.”

“You’re sure about that? Fourteen? You only have to count on three hands in order to account for all the dwarves?”

Gaymer squinted at his father in concentration. “Yes,” he declared finally. “Definitely three hands only.”

“Okay. Here’s what you do. Take Danak Royd and some of the household guard. Also, get Jorj Miy Kael and his men from Chippin Dale - ”

“Daaad - “

“Don’t interrupt - I’m not done yet. When you get to Wyemm Seeyay, I want you to get the House Troubadours there - chap’s name is Gayestin Theland. He’s got some experience with dwarves already.

“Daaaaaaad - “

“Shut up. And I want you to take your cousin Ellendee with you as well.”

Gaymer was dumbstruck, his mouth forming a perfect ‘o’. Great. Now he had to take his dumb cousin with as well. Ellendee Generis had no sense of humour and took everything far too seriously.

“Daddy,” he said, shaking his head, “it’s no place for a girl - Ellendee’s beauty is only just beginning to flower, how could I possibly take responsibility for her in a war situation? You know I - “

“You’re not taking responsibility for her, she’s taking responsibility for you!” Vass erupted before he could stop himself. “Just take her along!”

“Fine!” Gaymar stomped off, but stopped at the door. “And the chariot? Can I take Astinn Marr Ten?”

Vass shook his head. “No - take DeLorien.”

Gaymar snorted. "DeLorien? DeLorien? If that chariot was any older it would be going backwards in time!" He stormed out in disgust.

Why me? Vass pleaded silently with the gods. Why me?

“I can’t believe you brought a chariot,” Ellendee complained.

“Well if you don’t like it, you can get out and walk, you know,” Gaymer replied, looking ahead.

“That’s not what I meant. How are you planning to sneak up on their position with a great rattling chariot like this?”

“I wasn’t planning to sneak up on them. We’re just going to thunder through and annihilate them.”

Ellendee pointed behind her. “What about everyone else not riding a chariot?”

Gaymer glanced over his shoulder, taking in the sight of his loyal patrol jogging along. Even the wardancers were looking tired. “Er…” was all he could volunteer.

“What you’ve described isn’t a plan. Do you know anything about dwarves, or how they fight?”

Gaymer looked down and mumbled something under his breath.

“What was that?” Ellendee demanded. “Nothing, you said? Stop this chariot, let the patrol rest and let’s form a plan before you get us all killed!”

“I’m in charge, you know,” said Gaymer, carefully avoiding her stern gaze.

Suddenly, Ellendee grabbed his right ear (and as we all know, elves have prodigious ears) and twisted it right around until the chariot ground to a halt and Gaymer was on his knees whimpering.

“There we go,” she said sweetly. The chariot crew stared into the distance, focussing on anything that wasn’t Gaymar.

By the time Jorj and the Chippin Dale Regiment of Foote caught up, Ellendee had Gaymar in a headlock and was furiously rubbing her knuckles into his head, whilst he wailed and called for his father. Jorj noticed the remaining chariot crew had taken an all consuming interesting in a an old abandoned gravestone by the side of the road.

Ellendee dropped Gaymer on the floor. He pushed Ellendee away and straightened his leather jerkin. Jorj snickered.

“Silence in the ranks!” Gaymer wailed through quivering lips. “Lady Ellen Degeneris and myself were just … discussing the plan.”

Danak Royd and the Household guard had just arrived now and formed up respectfully.

“Lady Ellendee was just about to describe…” Gaymer trailed off. Ellendee was not about to describe anything. She, too, had taken grave interest in the headstone.

“What are you doing?” He asked in a strained voice.

“This is the gravestone of Spar Gettyand Sors,” she declared.

“So?”

“So? You’ve never heard of - oh wait. Of course you haven’t. He was a great hero of our people and was instrumental in freeing the Wyemm Seeyay area from the Dwarves hundreds of years ago.”

“We’re wasting time. So what - he’s dead now!”

“I can … sense him. He’s here, I think.”

“Ellendee - ”

“Wait - he wants to make contact, I’m sure of it!”

“Right men - form up. Lady Ellendee has lost her mind, and we need to leave her here, so that she can try and find it."

He walked up to Ellendee, who was mumbling and gesturing, inviting Spar to make his presence known.

“Ellendee, dear. Um, me and the big boys are going to go ahead and have a quick fight - you know, see to business and all that. Why don’t you stay here and chase the butterflies a bit, okay? We’ll be back before dark to come and get you. Don't eat any mushrooms, okay?”

Ellendee gave no obvious signs that she’d heard him, so Gaymer swiftly turned and mounted the chariot. “Follow me, men - to victory.”

“Er…what about Lady Ellendee? We can’t just leave her, can we?” Jorj asked.

“Watch me,” Gaymer growled as he cracked the whip.

“What now?” droned Spar Gettyand Sors. “I just want to go to bed…”

“We need your help, oh Great Spirit of the Forest. Now is our darkest hour!” Ellendee sang.

“Darkest hour? Now? That’s a bit dramatic, wouldn’t you say?” the spirit said, inclining its head.

“You don’t know my cousin, oh great one - he’s, how do you say… tactically - ”

“Retarded?”

“Retarded,” she nodded.

“Yeah, I saw that whole thing with the headlock. Nice moves, for a girl.” The spectre nodded appreciatively.

“Thanks. With the forest like it is these days, a girl’s got to look after herself, you know. Anyway, enough about me - let’s talk about you. Can you help us?”

The spectre shimmered for a second. “In a word - no,” it said.

Anger flashed in Ellendee’s eyes. “What? Why?” She quickly added: “er…oh great one?”

“Spectre. Can’t leave the gravestone, see?” Spar pointed at the gravestone and shrugged.

“Oh,” Ellendee said, her anger subsiding. “I can help with that…”

Morgrim looked up from his lunch. “How many d’you say there were?”

“Sir! About thirty, give or take. Sir!” The young dwarf’s hand seesawed.

“Straight down the pass?”

“Yes sir, straight down the pass. No scouts that we can see, sir!”

Morgim scratched his chin. “So they’re just walking into the valley?”

“Sir, yes sir!”

“With a chariot?”

“Sir, yes sir!”

“Enough with the ‘sirs’, okay? You’re driving me insane.”

“S - yes, er...chief?”

Morgrim raised a hairy eyebrow. “Look - thanks for the report. Now sod off and find me Arek.”

The young dwarf stuttered, did a half salute and ran off. Arek ambled up shortly afterwards.

“Beanbag sez you’ve got an elf problem?” he muttered.

“Looks like it, mate.”

“Wadder ya need?”

“They’re just rolling down the pass, by the sounds of things. Got a chariot. Seems we should just point Earthquaker straight down there and give ‘em hell when they arrive.”

“Yer…okay. I’ll sort it,” drawled Arek as he wandered off. “I’ll get the lads set up with some crossbows, mebbe?”

Morgrim nodded. “Ta mate. That’s the stuff.”

Good dwarf, that Arek, Morgrim thought. Be a good commander, if he didn’t mess about with all that black powder and stuff…

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:07:43 PM by weazil »
Regards,
Gaj

Always interested in contacting any gamers interested in Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition!
Also interested in any old 80's Citadel figures you may want to get rid of.

http://warhammerforadults.blogspot.com

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
Re: Battle Report: It's fun to slay at the Wyemm Seeyay
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 07:31:01 PM »
So...the armies. The lists have been created with Army Builder (Dreamfish is the author of the current range of AB files for WFB3). The output options are great, but I didn't feel like translating the HTML into something fitting for the forum, so I've just captured them as images. We've done our best to make sure all of the figures are of the appropriate era, but we'll all notice the current range Wood Elf wizard. Painted is better than old, at the moment.

Also, those familiar with Warhammer 3rd edition might ask questions about the presence of the gyrocopter. This was not present in Warhammer Armies, but was introduced for WFB3 in a later White Dwarf, so those are the rules being employed for it.

Wood Elves:

Dwarves:

Coming soon ... the scenario rules, deployment, spells and the very first turn...

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 09:22:54 PM »
I'm very interested to see how this turn out!  :)

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:33:11 AM »
I'm very interested to see how this turn out!  :)

Seconded.

Your introduction tale was a fun and refreshing read.

Waiting for more.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »
Hmmm.... need to understand how this works....  o_o
Shall have a thorough read-through later (when not at work).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:54:16 AM »
Looking forwards to seeing how you manage to do this, sounds an interesting project.
Duncan

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »
Hi all

Dreamfish and I have completed turn 1. I had toyed with the idea of posting everything up here, but after messing around with blogger to get the thing to look okay, please forgive me for just posting the link to where the report of turn 1 is stored:

http://warhammerforadults.blogspot.com/2011/08/battle-report-its-fun-to-slay-at-wyemm_20.html

But, of course, some pictures to entice you:

We'll start turn 2 today.

Regards
Gaj
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:19:30 AM by weazil »

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
Hi all

Turn 2 is up! Again, apologies for the link, but it really, really is a lot easier. Still, some shots of the game so far:

The situation at the start of turn 2:

Orders for the movement phase:

The shooting phase:

Reserves:

The state at the end of turn 2:

A more thorough description and commentary on the blog.

Regards
Gaj

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
Looks great though I've still not quite worked out how you're doing this over distance - care to eleborate?

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
Hi Dijit - a good question. I've written about it up on the blog, but I'll discuss here as well.

In our case, Dreamfish is the host, so he's the owner of both armies and has a nice, safe place where he can keep an in-progress game unmolested for a long time.

He then presented me with a list of available armies and figures, allowing me the first choice. We then used army builder (Dreamfish is the author of the WFB3 AB files) to create the lists and share with each other. He created a template that allows us to hide our magic items, so he knows what my list is, but not what the magic items are.

Dreamfish takes many pictures of the battle, one from as high up as he can get (as can be seen in the previous post about turn 2), and then some action and visibility shots, to help me make decisions...like this:

In this case, this image helps me to see the line of sight my wood elves have to one of his dwarf units.

I will then take one of the top down shots and issue orders using a tool called Snagit, which is just a really easy way to do simple edits against images and screen grabs. Even if you never play warhammer online, I would recommend buying snagit. One of the best programs in the world...

Anyway, an order diagram might look like this:

Snagit makes all of those arrows and blocks, etc, really easy to draw. It takes me about 10 minutes to issue orders and send a mail off to Dreamfish.

Obviously, Dreamfish has to 'process' the orders. Here is where the trust really comes in - I have to tell him what my intentions are and he does his best to make that come true. In some cases, where he can see I'll violate a rule, or something similar, he'll let me know. Also, he's the one that ultimately decides about ranges, visibility, angles and that sort of thing. I'll usually add some extra instructions to the email to explain my intention, so with this order sheet above, one of the things I said is that I want both his warriors and his crossbowmen to be eligible targets for a charge from the chariot when it gets there. That helps him position the chariot as close as possible to the image, but including my special requests.

We then use the Hamete Virtual Dice Server to do our dice rolls. This is a great site that allows us to set up a diceblog that only we can see, where all the dice rolls are recorded and cannot be fiddled with:

The main thing is trust. I know that Dreamfish is not trying to screw me. I need him to do range estimates for me sometimes, so I guess it is true that I could reveal my tactical intentions earlier than in a face to face game, but our whole objective is to have fun with an older Warhammer system that really is better than its modern day counterpart. Because of that, neither of us really minds if we win or lose - the objective is to have as much fun as we can given our locations.

Anyway, check out the blog for other details, but that's basically how we do it :)

Regards
Gaj

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
Very interesting way of doing it. Thanks.

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
Re: Battle Report: It's fun to slay at the Wyemm Seeyay - Turn 3
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 07:29:15 PM »
Turn 3 was devastating for the elves.

Again, full write up over at the blog.

This was the situation at the start of turn 3:

Movement phase:

Shooting phase:

Reserves phase:

The conclusion of the turn:

It's just starting to get interesting now - is turn 4 the one where the elves turn this fiasco around?

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
Battle Report: It's fun to slay at the Wyemm Seeyay - Turn 4 Complete 03.09.2011
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 08:19:13 AM »
Hi all

Turn 4 is up, and can be found here.

As usual, some pictures:

The situation at the beginning of Turn 4:

Movement Phase:

Shooting Phase:

Combat Phase:

Reserves Phase:

The end of Turn 4:

Again, full write up and the missing magic phase over at the blog.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
This is just lovly.  :)

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
Battle Report: It's fun to slay at the Wyemm Seeyay - Turn 5 Complete 10.09.2011
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 11:37:01 PM »
Hi all

Finally - Turn 5 is up. Same ol' story - writeup at the blog, with some pics to amuse:

This was the situation at the beginning of the turn:

Plenty of movement:

The dwarves outshoot the elves again...

Final preparation before the foes engage:

This is the situation at the end of Turn 5:

Turn 6. It will all get better for the Elves in Turn 6. You watch and see...

Regards
Gaj