Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: GASLIGHT Tutorial Posted  (Read 1815 times)

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
  • Rules Author, Dealer In Antiquities, Mad Scientist
    • My Blog: One More Gaming Project
GASLIGHT Tutorial Posted
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:17:05 PM »
I wanted to let those of you who may be interested in getting into the GASLIGHT rules know that Dr Vesuvius has posted on his blog an excellent step by step tutorial on playing GASLIGHT.

The first part is organizing troops for the game:

http://axisofnaughtiness.blogspot.com/2011/08/this-is-how-we-roll.html

And the secod part is a trun by turn run through of a small game:

http://axisofnaughtiness.blogspot.com/2011/08/this-is-how-we-roll-pt-2.html
"I have wrought my simple plan,
if I give one hour's joy,
to the boy who's half a man,
or the man who's half a boy!"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: GASLIGHT Tutorial Posted
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »
I saw this on TMP.  Very useful walk through.  The only thing I didn't notice was how the SRM thingy works when shooting at contraptions with 'anti armour' weapons.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »
I agree, excellent walk through,

So much so that it's tkpped me over the edge on what VSF
Rules to get and i've just ordered a copy from caliver,

Really looking forward to reading them and getting a game
In.

Regards

Jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline DrVesuvius

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:45:19 PM »
I saw this on TMP.  Very useful walk through.  The only thing I didn't notice was how the SRM thingy works when shooting at contraptions with 'anti armour' weapons.

Good point Sterling, the abysmal Sustain/Start rolls on the part of the two vehicles really did cut down on the amount of vehicular gunfire in the game.

I did mention it once though, in Turn Four when the Ludwig fires at the Gun Truck...

Card #2 comes up as the Ludwig walker. Having failed to Sustain last turn, this turn it needs to roll less than its Start to move again, but fails to do so. Again the German player decides to fire one of its Main Guns, and this time hits with a roll of 4. The Gun Truck being only lightly armoured has a Save rating of 9, but the Ludwig's main gun is very good at penetrating armour, with a Save Roll Modifier of +4. So the British player needs to roll a D20, add +4 and get less than its Save rating of 9. The British player rolls a 12+4 = 16. A Penetrating Hit, but not quite enough for a Catastrophic Hit. Grumbling he rolls D20 on the Vehicle Damage Table and gets a 10 - “Random Weapon Knocked Out”. With two weapons to choose from he rolls a simple odds/evens with the result that it's the Gun truck's main cannon that's destroyed. Even if he manages to get the troublesome Gun Truck moving, he's now lost his best weapon against the armoured Ludwig walker.

So in summary, take the SRM value add it to the targeted player's Save roll.... the roll, not the target's Save value.

So if an infantryman had scored a hit with a rifle with an SRM of -9, the targeted player would roll 1d20-9 for the Save roll.  Hitting with a heavy cannon with an SRM of +4, he'd roll 1d20+4. A natural roll of 20 on the Save roll results in a Catastrophic hit (the Golden BB finds a chink in the armour and hits a vital steam line or something - note that this seems to be a change from the original booklet in which a catastrophic hit happens if the modified Save roll is equal to or greater than 20)

Finally a reminder that SRM is only applied to vehicle armour, not Main Character Saves.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »
Thanks, Dr.!

Funny, I remember it as a natural 20; I'll check the original book when I get home, assuming I can find it. ;->=

Still, makes sense; too many lucky shots as it is.

Abysmal Start/Sustain roll... Ah, the memories...

Doug