Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 708
Total: 713

Recent

Author Topic: Which Dremmel to get?  (Read 2965 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Which Dremmel to get?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »
Well, I think it's not as simple to answer as you might hope!

The type of metal, tool and abrasive/cutting surface all make a difference.

For example, with softer lead alloy metals, I lightly rub my model files with a little bit of chalk. Afterwards, I brush the files with a brass/steel brush.

For plastics, I stick the files into some paint stripper afterwards (the plastic dissolves in moments, leaving the files clean).

For drill bits, I use candle wax if necessary (I like wax as I don't make a mess everywhere with it like I do with oil...).

In your case, I think you might try something like soft graphite maybe? It helps to both stop the tool sticking and the surface gumming up. Combined with brushing the tool surface after each tab with a brass wire brush, I think it would probably extend the life of the discs. But really, without seeing it in person or having experienced it myself, your best bet is to just try a few things and see.

Finally, I'd question if you're using the best tool for the job? I think strong clippers would work much better and with less fuss/mess.

I'm not really worried about extending the life of the discs. They're cheap, fragile, come in large packs (like 40 discs) and are assumed to be disposable anyway.

The real problem is that at high speed they gum up with white metal so fast they don't actually cut anything. And at low speed they still gum and also don't cut so well.

Either way, I wind up just sort of heating up the metal and pushing it around rather than truly cutting. This works if I sort of brute force it a bit and then finish the job with a hand tool, but it's less than ideal and I'm sure there must be a proper solution.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:21:31 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »
Well, I simply cut the slotta base with a side cutter.
Worst thing that happens is that the legs tend to spread a little. nothing that can't be corrected.
I then grind the leftovers from the slottabase with a needlefile and sometimes sandpaper too.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »
I find that the right Dremel tool for white metal is the  silicone disc with embedded steel granules. It doesn't clog.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »
For really fine cutting work Proxxon has a set of three small metal circular saw blades that will fit a Dremel.
They are even slightly flexible, but don't overdo it.
When you need to cut 50+ heads of figures for conversions you'll be very glad you bought these lol
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »
For really fine cutting work Proxxon has a set of three small metal circular saw blades that will fit a Dremel.
They are even slightly flexible, but don't overdo it.
When you need to cut 50+ heads of figures for conversions you'll be very glad you bought these lol

I got 1 of those in my set. The times I used it, it always got stuck. I probably tried to saw too thick pieces  :(

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »
One with a plug.  More options available, less expensive (in most cases) and your battery will never run out or get worn out.  I will never go cordless again.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com