Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Werewolves in Chaos in Carpathia  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Snugger

• Assistant
Werewolves in Chaos in Carpathia
« on: August 19, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »
Hi, I've recently bought the Chaos in Carpathia pdf, and am looking to start a small campaign in a few weeks. Currently I'm busy building terrain, but I've also ordered enough minis to get two warbands going, Monster Hunters and Werewolves. However, when looking over the werewolf stats and rules, there is one thing that bothers me. Namely, the lack of equipment and special characters*. Does this not limit the campaign progress choices open to a Werewolf player a lot more than any of the other warbands?

* The special character limit is a bit confusing, since some special characters explicitly say they cannot be taken by Werewolves, but the Werewolf entry disallows ALL special characters except the Old Woodsman.

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
Re: Werewolves in Chaos in Carpathia
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 05:00:50 AM »
I can't speak for the game's author, but werewolves are basically limited by their very nature.  In a way, I'm surprised that there were even the insane and the woodsman available, although it makes a certain amount of sense and adds to the warband.
I think with werewolves you are going to have to accept the limitations or come up with your own houserules.

Offline Snugger

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:02:53 AM »
Fair enough, from a supernatural-realistic point of view it makes a lot of sense. We will give the official rules a good spin, and if the need arises during prolonged campaign play I will just add new options to the Werewolf warband. Thanks!

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:37:11 AM »
If they operate like pack animals... as mentioned in Dog Soldiers... then maybe you'd be justified in giving some extra oomph to the Alpha Male. Maybe having werewolf children as a lesser threat.
Maybe, again as in Dog Soldiers, one/some of them can hold off the transformation... giving them some sort of infiltration ability, 'Oh! One of your henchmen has a unibrow!'

I'm just now getting started in CIC so I'm not sure how any of that would work or fit or anything...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:17:37 PM »
My feeling is, the Werewolves are quite a match for the other factions. They have to use the terrain, and ambush tactics, but that is, IMHO, as it should be.

Use wolfpacks to swamp the enemy (they can only shoot that many each turn), and then rush in for the gory kill.

And, yes, I still have some minis to paint...  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Snugger

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »
@Simlasa: Sounds like valid grounds for houserules. I'll see what we feel is necessary after campaigning for a while.

@Argonor: It's nice to know that the game seems balanced. In all honesty, my initial worry did not concern game balance, but more the prolonged enjoyment of the Werewolves as a warband. It seems their ability to evolve and change playstyle is a lot weaker than the other warbands in a long campaign. But I have not tested this properly yet, so my worry might be moot whenever we start playing.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:19:17 PM »
Oh, that way.

Nah, I guess werevolves must more or less adhere to 'animal' tactics, and that is, of course, a challenge in face of the (hopefully) growing arsenal of the other factions. They'll need cover, so woodlands/ruins are a must.