Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 11:09:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697729
  • Total Topics: 118855
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How is Pike and Shot and Zombies?  (Read 40788 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: How is Pike and Shot and Zombies?
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2011, 10:25:22 AM »
I'm not painting anything  ::)

Mainly because I'm too busy with real life (and the upcoming parlament election (Thursday)), but also because I'm TOTALLY wasted in the evenings. Went to see my GP, and just as I expected, I'm suffering from a mild winter's depression already (this summer was AWFUL), so a stim-pack or two, and I'll probably be a litle bit productive, soon.

About the rules, btw. - I think they are a little bit too heavy/detailed for a zombie-game, but as the Warhammer crowd seem to like very detailed rules, it might be a good thing in the end, for the purpose I'm aiming at...

I normally have a rule of thumb, that if I cannot finish reading a rule-set on the commuter train in 2-3 days, it is too long/complicated for the kind of easy-going leasure games I like to play.  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »
Well, I just got the rules, and will give it a good read this weekend.
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2011, 08:19:27 AM »
Well, I just got the rules, and will give it a good read this weekend.

I can see a high level of entertainment-value in them. But you've got to want playing it more than just occasionally, because it is somewhat 'rules-heavy'. I have too many rulesets on the shelf that are fine games in themselves, they just demand too much involvement. I expect this one to be worth the extra effort, though - skirmish miniature games with a multi-player and RPG quality make for the best social games at clubs and among friends, IMHO.

And I'm a sucker for trying new games  :D

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
skirmish miniature games with a multi-player and RPG quality make for the best social games at clubs and among friends, IMHO.

EXACTLY!!!  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »
Update:

Right -mops brow- thirty zeds completed!  ;D ;D ;D

Hopefully a game soon. I'll keep you posted ;)
"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
Chris (aka Vinlander) ran a learning game for us last night. There were three players (me, Marc, Stu) and Chris running the show. There seemed to be some good mechanics in there but I think the number one thing we learned is that we need to learn the rules :)  Anyway, I'm sure Vinlander will be by to give you all the play by play and his thoughts.

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »
-ahem!- Yes...

I didn't have any 17th century figs ready (soon  ;) ) so I defaulted to some familiar characters from our 'Curse of the Dertflinghan's' campaign, mainly due to their being equipped with firearms (a rather necessary component of the game as it is a bit difficult for the gm to get zeds on the table without echoing report of musket fire drawing their attention). We played the introductory scenario with a three model survivour band who's objective was a small pier on the river bank on the other side of town. There were three zombie entry points and an initial three groups of three zeds each in and around the town.

The game opened with the three caballeros moving towards town along the road and spotting a group of zombies rather menacingly close by. After a few gunshots they were brought down, luckily without drawing the attention of any further bands of walking dead. The zombies, for their part, wandered around in a random manner as zombies are wont to do.

the following turn saw the survivours move into the town proper and engage a group of zombies milling about the town square (picture1). Over the course of the turn they managed to dispatch all three with Sir Thrustam (grey coat) felling two in hand to hand. He suffred a scratch in return but, fortunately, was not infected. Johann however (torch) became suspicious and kept his distance from then on. Hans (cocked hat) dropped the third zombie with his ever accurate musket fire but attracted seven more zombies in doing so  >:( !
(*I drew a card this turn which I played on Johann making him suspect another survivor of being infected and forcing him to remain some distance away thus seperating Johann, the slowest member of the group, from the other two)

On turn three the survivors began to hoof it along the road, realising that the pursuing zombies were drawing closer. A group of zeds came at them from behind a hedgerow and attacked Hans who managed to fend them off until Sir Thrustam could come to his aid, sabering one zed (picutre 2) and allowing Hans to blow the second to rags. Johan shot the third zombie but the gunfire again attracted more zombies from the meadow and the wood near the pier. Things were looking dicey for our heros as a tide of zeds poured through the town after them (picture 3)!

Turn four saw the survivours running up the road and the zombies ambling  after them. On turns five and six Hans and Sir Thrustam were within dashing distance of the pier and safety but, with zombies dangerously close they had to turn at bay and deal with them, calling out to Johann (still hanging back) to get moving. Fate played a cruel hand however (or rather I did  ;D ) and Johann went sprawling in the mud of the road with his ankle painfully twisted (picture 4). The zombie tide flowing up the lane behind him.

On turn seven Sir Thrustam heroically legged it for the end of the pier and leaped into the small dingy moored there, calling for his companions to make haste. Hans paused long enough to shoot the nearest zed and ran to the boat. Jumping in and helping Sir Thrustam to cast off. Johann tried to hobble after them but was too far behind. The undead tide flowed over him and he dissappeared beneath a mass of slavering zombies (picture5). Sir Thrustam and Hans, unable to do anyting for their hapless comerade, pushed off and rowed away into the mist. Ah well, there had only been room for two of them in the boat anyway...  

It was first and formost a learning game, with a lot of leafing through the rule book and attempting to interpret rules. The game itself played well, the system is pretty simple to grasp an features some characterful mechanics that really bring out the tension. The event cards particularily add an enjoyable touch of chaos to the proceedings. Some of the rules could have been more definite in their wording but they did make sense after a good squint over. I think with another couple of games under our belts and more familiarity with the rules, this game will really start to shine.

Hope you enjoy the pics (would have had more but JET was having difficulties with his camera >:( )

Cheers!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:20:59 PM by Vinlander »

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »
awesome stuff- great picures- I am getting increasingly to the point when I can no longer resist Zombie Pike and Shot!

fantastic

Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »
Dead walk Again IS a better and simpler system, IMHO, but given the time I have for hobbying these years, I would probably not get the weapons/equipment/survivour tables done for a renaissance/warhammer setting anytime soon.

Glad to read you as the DWA co-author.

I was about to release a new supplement for DWA called "Dark Ages" to play zombie games in medieval periods and also use a fantasy dimension with necromancers invoking undead. As Pike and Shot was released at the same time I abandonned this project. I think Pike and Shot is a good game (even if I didn't read the rules) but to be honest I don't like games with umpires. DWA was played with an umpire before I totally rewrite the rules for coop games.

BTW it would be a piece of cake to adapt DWA to medieval periods (ie not modern ones) : just use the close combat weapons and add a new rules for firearms : one shot for a musket or a pistol instead of a magazine (and time to reload it each turn) : really simple.

I should even adapt this system to play other games such as Aliens vs USCM for my Aliens project.
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2011, 10:56:01 AM »
I was about to release a new supplement for DWA called "Dark Ages" to play zombie games in medieval periods and also use a fantasy dimension with necromancers invoking undead.

Please do, Eric! - we are currently working at getting a group ready to play DwA at my club (people are  painting lots of zombies and a few modern survivors), and I would love to be able to tell the players, that we can play the same game with their favourite Warhammer minis  lol

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
I am on another project for now and have no time left but you can still edit the weapons chart as I said.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2011, 12:05:17 PM »
I am on another project for now and have no time left but you can still edit the weapons chart as I said.

Yes, of course - I just don't have much time to spend, either  lol

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2011, 11:23:40 PM »
Any of you gents familiar with the Comic "Defoe 1666"?

Could give you some nice inspirations.
There are some nice Zombiehunters worth to make some conversions for ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defoe_%28comics%29

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2011, 02:57:22 PM »
Playing a game of it this weekend.
Will let you know how it comes out.