Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:40:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Which Regular Line Units to do for FIW  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Which Regular Line Units to do for FIW
« on: August 20, 2011, 04:36:00 AM »
I am trying to figure out which line units to do for FIW.  I have decided to do the Black Watch for my Highlanders.  I have one British and one French line unit to do also.
I am hoping to find one good regiment for British and and one for French that have nice facing colors, and flags that were represented in several engagements throughout the war.
What have others here done for their line regiments?

Darkoath

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
Re: Which Regular Line Units to do for FIW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:27:53 AM »
For the French you can do La Reine, Guyenne, altough the most useful is Les Compagnie Francge de la Marine.
For the British, do the 60th Royal Americqns or the famous 44th or 48th of Braddock's disaster.
I have all of them
Piero

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:17:02 PM »
Hi Chaps,

Unsurprisingly, as I'm still sculpting our regulars, I haven't painted any yet  ::)

However, I'm working on figures for the 44th and 48th for the Braddock expedition, as well as more standard British Regulars which will also be suitable for SYW European engagements. I will be doing 60th Foot, and 80th are already under way  ;) pictures should start appearing in the next few weeks. I haven't started on highlanders yet, but shall be.

For French Regulars I've only made an early start on Compagnies Franches, but will be doing plenty of Metropolitan Regiments types plus tard  :D

You should be noticing a stepping up of the pace of new releases over the next few months - fingers crossed  :o

As Piero says, La Reine and Guyenne are good regiments to go for, with their red facings providing a nice contrast to the blue of the Compagnies Franches, similarly with de Berry, and Guyenne. I also have a bit of a soft spot for de Languedoc. The only French regiment in Canada I'm not likely to touch is Les Voluntaires Etrangers, despite them being easily distinguishable as the only French unit serving in the FIW to have green facings, their service in the war seems mainly to have consisted of sailing into Loiusbourg to be taken prisoner at the surrender. Basically, I'd go for a unit which was involved in as many campaigns/engagements as any other.

One British unit I'm likely to paint is the 15th Foot, for one thing they were my local regiment: The East Yorkshire Regiment, and they were at Louisberg and Quebec and remained in North America until December 1761  8)

The 1st Foot would be a very nice unit to represent – blue facings, plain white lace, and being a royal regiment wore blue breeches rather than the usual red. Arriving in North America in 1757, they were at Louisbourg and Ticonderoga and remained in the colonies until 1761.

Anyway, I’ll give a full listing and details on the website as our figures start to appear.

Cheers,

Lance

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 03:53:31 PM »

Royal-Roussillion and Languedoc would be good choice for regular French units (although they basically have the same uniforms, i.e. Gris-blanc uniforms with blue cuff and waistcoat).
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 03:25:05 AM »
Go Royal Americans! 

:o  :o Quite the announcement hidden in there Major.  I'll be waiting and watching for all the goodness to come.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:20:11 AM »
For French I've done La Reine with plans to do Languedoc - primed already.  For British I've done the 44th with the 60th also primed.  I did the "Marines" in both summer and winter dress.  And I've done the Highlanders and a Highland Grenadier unit.  I've also done a line Grenadier for both nations and a light infantry unit for the British and a Chasseur unit for the French. (also militia for both sides, two provincial units for the British, Coureur du Bois for Canadians, and rangers for British, with 7 equivalent "units" of Indians, one for British, six for the French.)

The forces basically add up to 5 "brigades" for the French and 4 for the British - though those brigades could just as easily be companies.  My units are three groups of 12 figures plus command with the command varying slightly for the different units.

You should see a bit of theme between my choices and the other recommendations above.  (I feel liked I've left something out but its late and I need to get to bed)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 08:14:01 PM »
For my fairly generic F&IW forces, I will have units from the following regular infantry regiments:

British
35th
42nd
44th
60th

More here: http://silent-invasion.blogspot.com/2009/07/woodlander-anglo-american-forces.html

French

Reine
Languedoc

More here:  http://silent-invasion.blogspot.com/2009/07/woodlander-french-indian-contingent.html

Progress is never as fast as I'd like to be!
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »
Silent Invader,  Could you please point me to the Perry code you used for the
The Militia - armed farmsteaders and townspeople - are from the Perry Miniatures AWI range.
I can not seem to find them in the site, and would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Fergal

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
I can't speak for SI, but I have a large batch of the Perry AWI militia for F&I civilians. Mine are all from the Southern Militia packs, but I reckon anything in the AW133-144 range would work. Don't forget AW73 for some nice flavor.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »
Hi Fergal, I've been watching your collection expand  :D

Hi also Aaron, who as ever is spot on: I have used/am using the Southern Militia codes for most of my 'American' armed colonials/militia (and the ropemen pack AW130 is rather handy too - it provided a few of my labourer types) albeit I replaced bare feet with shoes.

As my project has progressed I have started to revise the Perry AWI figures by converting ankle/short gaiters into socks, adding tricorns where possible to do so and lengthening waistcoats to the mid-thigh. Best wip examples are on my Civilian Contingent page.

http://silent-invasion.blogspot.com/2009/08/woodlander-civilian-contingent.html

PS: With apologies for the momentary stray off topic.  :)

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 02:42:08 AM »
Your conversions are very nice and very well painted!

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »
Your conversions are very nice and very well painted!

I agree. SI, very sensible work, glad you mentioned the ankle gaiters, which (along with overalls) firmly place the wearer into a post FIW period for me.

Also chaps, beware the "hunting shirt"; at the time of the FIW it appears to have been more of a (often wrap-round) working smock without the capes and fringing often represented in the AWI, although some recent opinion seems to throw doubt on them being in use in that later period too  :o
Personally, I'd be happy to use them for AWI but not FIW.

Here's some interesting stuff re hunting shirts:
http://ofsortsforprovincials.blogspot.com/2011/06/reproducing-hunting-shirt-quick-and.html

Of course, for anyone just starting out on armed civilians and militia for the FIW, you may want to check out our website in the coming weeks   ;) :D

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com