Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:31:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Fimir of Albion  (Read 90050 times)

Offline Mr Saturday

• Scientist
    • Mr Saturday's Mumblings
Re: The Fimir of Albion
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 10:33:50 PM »
Cheers!

Finally, after a serious amount of sawing, shaving, cutting, glueing, sculpting, casting, cursing, filing, pinning and eye-straining, the first unit of fimm are assembled. Oh yes. I will put aside for a moment the fact that that they still have to be actually painted, and that I have another unit of twenty to do after that. Such thoughts could drive a man from his wits. Let us instead concentrate on the fact that twenty fimm warriors now stand ready to defend their lands from all comers....aaaaand possibly do a bit of raiding too.

After seeing the fine weapons borne by the fimir of clan Myeri on Fimm McCool's Games Orkshop, I resolved to supply my own fimm with such fine arms as soon as possible. Thanks to Old Fogey on TWF, I soon had a cache of dwarf axes in my sweaty grasp. I wanted to have the axes look vaguely Celtic, and a lot less finely crafted than dwarf weapons, as the shearl artisans of a fimir clan have limited resources at best. Here's my first effort at such a weapon.

Before I delve in to painting the fimm, I have some work to do on the movement trays. Base X of War have been very accommodating with my awkward orders, and I just need to administer a little nip and tuck before they are ready for priming, and then it's full belt into the paintravaganza.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 11:31:23 PM »
Lovely stuff and great work on the axe.

They look great and seriously scary ranked up like that.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 11:47:02 PM »
Woohoo - looking brill mate - love the weaponry and that unit looks what I always wanted a unit of fimir to look like as soon as I heard about them - can't ever remember WD featuring a fimir army so this is tops!

Much kudos for sticking with this - loads of work gone in there!  8)

May have missed this on your blog, but once you've got all these gribbly chaps painted up, how are you going to recreate the magical mist they generate?

Looking forward to seeing them painted up...  >:D

Offline Mr Saturday

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 12:42:48 AM »
Thanks chaps.

@Thantsants: Well, rules wise, I was thinking of using the mark of Nurgle, which is -1 to shoot and -1 weapon skill to hit. I thought this might be a nice way to represent the reduced visibility of the enemy in the mist.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 12:59:01 AM »
Sounds right enough - I was, however, angling for your thoughts on a modelling/scenic point of view - not to add to your wokload mind!  ;)

Might be a bit of a faff if you intend to game regularly with them though!  :D

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 04:27:57 AM »
I'd consider making the axe head single bladed rather tan double to make it much less dwarf like, but other than that looks great.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 03:16:33 PM »
Fantastic work, I always liked Fimir. You've done some amazing things!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Mr Saturday

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »
@Thantsants: Ah right! Well, there's an section in the general's compendium that goes into making noxious clouds. I might make up two or three mist clouds based on that and make up some house rules. Moves randomly, no impediment to movement but minus modifier to charging and shooting though them. Once I have the army done I plan a few fimir flavoured terrain bits.

@dijit: The next fimm is getting two single-headed hand axes to see how that works out.

@: Dr Mathias: Thank you sir.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »
I hadn't seen it, thanks for the link. I'd come across most of the books from TWF and such though. I use the chaos dwarf indy GT list, which I like a lot.

I wonder if he has plans for a fimir book...
Sorry, I was wrong in thinking that the Albion book I'd linked to you contained Fimir.  Think you're going to have to come up with your own rules for them in that case.

Offline Mr Saturday

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2011, 07:48:20 PM »
No worries, thanks anyway. For the time being I'm using the warriors of chaos list, makes it easier to get games in against folks. I may throw in some terrain rules (mist) for friendlies.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2011, 09:08:58 PM »
Wow, here is a lad who really puts some effort in his army. Great work and I really love the idea of good old fimir action. Keep on posting any progress, things look extremely promising so far.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
Although I'm not a big fan of Reptilian Guys, I really am enjoying your project. The first mini in the hood that you posted caught my interest, maintained it, & is probably my favorite in the Crew. All VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mr Saturday

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 02:36:14 PM »
Thanks very much DeafNala. I've never really thought of fimir as reptilian, more like the mystics out of the Dark Crystal or some mad Brian Froud creation, though looking at them, I guess they do seem a bit lizardy.

The hooded fimir is one of my faves too, and was actually the first fimir I converted. The new savage orc plastics are very useful, but I do wish there was just a tad more pose-ability in the models. I'm just finishing painting him, and I should have a picture or two to show off by the weekend. Those tattoos take ages.

Offline Mr Saturday

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »
After a couple of months of assembly, I recently pulled out the brushes to start painting up what I have built so far. First up was the fimm unit champion, the fian. I was very curious to see how my wee converted fimir would turn out, it's the culmination of a fair bit of rumination into how to make a human-scale fimir that I could make an army's worth of. I used the same scheme as the test model, for the most part, with a couple of alterations. I'm pretty happy with him, and it gives me an insight into how the whole unit will look when it's done.

Time to start the fimir batch painting machine I guess.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Nice work - lovely skin tones and I'm liking the nice celtic style tattoos and detailing.

The whole units going to look great!  8)