Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:34:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cornfields. How to get started, please?  (Read 10804 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Cornfields. How to get started, please?
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:20:11 PM »
Maize fields to the so inclined...  ;)

I've seen different approaches to this (one used a plastic christmas tree, another the printable paper standees from Spinespur, and I have been toying with an idea of silk paper (roll it, cut the end, pull out to a stick with 'leaves')), but what is the best solution?

It has to be easily stored, so probably 'one row/strip'.

It has to be playable without damaging painted minis.

It has to be pretty fast to make - I would like to have enough for a faily large field without having to spend all available hobby time for the next 6 months...

It has to have a fairly low average cost per stalk/plant

Is there some plastic deco plant that can be used?

I have a stalled Alien Probe Landing project that I would like to get back to, soonish...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Cornfields. How to get started, please?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:27:51 PM »
I found this thread after a couple of searches more: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=13309.0

Might be a viable solution, if I can get some of those 'balls' from somewhere  :?

And I posted this in Open Talk by mistake - thought I was in Workbench.  ::)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »
Coincidentally, I had a reason to build those fields recently. Unfortunately I ran out of time so the project is currently on hold. However, I managed to acquire two different materials.

The first is exactly the same as those aquarium balls, I think. I managed to find them in a store selling all sorts of cheap junk, including plastic plants for home and shop decoration. If I recall correctly, the very same stems come in ball and mat form. Identical four-stem bases can be plucked out from both. I paid 2.95e for the mat version. As you can see, these plants are fairly big, possibly so big that some chopping down is needed.

Another option is the Busch H0 1202 Cornfield kit, mentioned in the other thread and seen here. I got that one too in my order of assorted Busch stuff. There's one review and detailed assembly guide here (although at the moment of writing the server is down). Because it's a H0 kit for proper scale models, the stalks are on a small side for 28mm gaming, where most details are exaggerated. They're still large enough to cover man-sized models, though. They're also quite plausible if you assume a smaller cultivar, harsh conditions, or mid-growth stage, or simply accept some scale drifting. You can make them very realistic with proper assembly, twisting and painting. They come in tightly packed 10 cm strips.

Now, considering your requirements, the aquarium/decoration plants sound better. While the Busch field may end up looking better in close inspection, the stalks are small and somewhat brittle. They require some close (and tedious) work to get the most out of the details. The individual strips can be kept separate and transported carefully. Anyway, that pack will only make about 10x20 cm of field. Spreading it out is difficult due to the tightly packed strips. Of course, you can surround a field base with a few layers of stands, and place the miniatures in the middle.

The decoration plants, on the other hand, can be prepared with a rough chopping job followed by matt coating, washes and generous drybrushing. There's no risk of breaking them - they're thick and bendy plastics. They can be thrown unprotected in a cardboard box and kicked across the room with no significant risk of damage. You don't get ready strips, but the stalks are fast to arrange to any kind of clusters. One ball/mat will make a large field, which can be spread out easily. Finally, they're dirt cheap. The trade-off would be the rougher overall look with no cool details.

So, of these options, I'd recommend the bendy junk plants for large, robust gaming terrain if you're not too picky about close-up realism. The Busch field is potentially very pretty but also more brittle, expensive and time-consuming.

I can post comparison shots of the plain products in near future, maybe. Regarding finished products, it won't be near future we're talking about...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:30:05 PM by Dolmot »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »
I used the chopped up aquarium balls - see link in first post - and they are still going strong.  Must admit I've stopped using the base that I made and just rank them up on the table, removing the odd one from the mass if I have a figure hiding inside.

Some not very good photos from a game report - one at a distance and the other close up.

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 10:41:02 PM »
A review of the Busch HO scale maiz field here (multiple photos):

http://modeltrain.servehttp.com/layout.nsf/1/corn

Note that Busch also makes hops, sunflowers, tulips, and a pumpkin patch.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:42:51 PM by warrenbruhn »
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 06:57:35 AM »
Fantastic responses, as always 'round here!

Thanks guys!

I now consider the cheap plastic ones as the main bulk of the field, then maybe Busch in one or 2 rows nearest to the open areas, to accentuate the type of crop - and if playing on a large table, long fake grass ('synthetic lawn' or 'imitation grass') more distantly, where only UFOs and the USRC will move (flying, that is...  ;)  ). I guess the USRC is the only proper response to an Alien incursion, anyway  ::)

Also need some baseball players, of the ethereal kind, I think.... and some evil children  ;D

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 01:47:27 PM »
If you want some of that fake grass I've enough samples that you could cut a far few corn plants from, let me know.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »
I may well take you up on that... Better than nothing to start with, anyway, and it can always be used as 'filler'.

Gee, I wish I can finish my garage attic, soon. I really need a place with some makeshift tables to spread out WIPs to get a better overview....

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 04:22:46 PM »
I may well take you up on that... Better than nothing to start with, anyway, and it can always be used as 'filler'.

Gee, I wish I can finish my garage attic, soon. I really need a place with some makeshift tables to spread out WIPs to get a better overview....

I'll start looking for them, otherwise if you contact any of the companies they'll send you some offcuts/samples, that's what these were.

Cheers

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 02:03:24 AM »
Anyone got any similar suggestions for a wheatfield (or barley, rye, etc)?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 07:14:47 AM »
Anyone got any similar suggestions for a wheatfield (or barley, rye, etc)?

I guess, the unripe version can be obtained with the fake grass... but grainfields are so much more difficult to make realistic, unless you base it all on mini-sized based and simply remove the crop where a mini ends up (like the corn/maizefield in an example above).

An idea that just struck me is: Make a 'frame' base to give a nice edge to the field, then have tons of small bases inside to move around when the minis enter...? Naturally, you can have many different sizes of 'frames' for different shapes, and re-use the bases. Hmmm...  o_o

If the doormats that people often use for ripe grains can be cut in round shapes without disintegrating (at least until it is glued safely to a base), that might be the way to go?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:40:47 AM by Argonor »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 04:06:14 PM »
I was thinking of maybe doing it in strips. Seems like another sort-of-okay gamplay vs. aesthetics compromise.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 06:42:50 PM »
JTT Scenery Products makes corn stalks in two scales:

1/72 = 1" tall
1/32 = 2-1/4" tall

They're pretty nice.

For reference:

http://www.michtoy.com/item-JTT-95511-Back_In_Stock!_Corn_Stalks.html
http://www.michtoy.com/item-JTT-95512%20-Corn_Stalks.html

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »
Those are very nice, too, and not that expensive.

Still, for an entire field, I think the cheap solution is most viable (lots of aquarium plants, edged with actual model stalks). If I should use Busch or JTT for the 'edges' will be decided later (if other solutions don't present themselves).

I was thinking of maybe doing it in strips. Seems like another sort-of-okay gamplay vs. aesthetics compromise.

I think the strips have one big disadvantage: When you have minis between them, they will start looking like rows instead of a closely growing field - this problem is non-existant with corn/maize, as it should be a field of rows, anyway.