Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:35:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686642
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cornfields. How to get started, please?  (Read 10784 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Cornfields. How to get started, please?
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
Well maybe not cornfields exactly but for long grass consider Woodland Scenics who stock all sorts of terrain - see: http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/FieldGrass and they also make sheets of long grass which I can't seem to find on there website, but that works well too for anything from yes a field to odd tuffs here and there. Also for something truly inspirational see: http://www.elladan.de/001%20fur%20mat%20test%20pieces/001.htm
Amazing effects can thus be rendered using what otherwise lands up as Teddy Bears - so have a picnic. Another advantage of the bear fur is troops can readily move through it par perhaps minuses to movement.

I found brushes especially tooth brushes can be good too especially for things like reeds - can even add little globs of glue to the ends to make plants that look like this, see: http://www.treesbypost.com/index.cfm/page/products/occ_cat/17 the bullrush pic. Hope this helps.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »
I actually have used the teddy fur too. I have a series of grassy patches (tall grass for for wilder areas or marshes - some peices are supposed to have ponds in them) I've had half-done forever.

Mage Knight figures have larger bases than most minis and are generally lighter, so they sit on top of that grass too, so figures actually hiding in the grass is a non-starter there too (or is at least way more effort that it's worth).

They ought to look good while figures aren't in them anyway. It's not ideal, but I can live with the compromise.

*sigh* really should finish those.

EDIT: I did see some really neat silk carpeting with a golden grass look, long tall fibres, and plenty of spacing between the tufts at Home Despot. They looked like I might've been able to get the full Elladan effect even with MK bases, but the rugs were only sold in large sizes at several hundred dollars a pop, so so much for that idea!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:17:28 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
I ended up getting 500 JTT stalks last year, because I inherited a nice sum of money (otherwise, I would never have bought that much).

All I need to do now is find some time to make the strips, drill the holes, glue the stalks, and sand and paint the strips...

I have a couple of other projects to attend to, first, but maybe I'll find some time in week 19 which is my spring vacation this year.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »
WOW, that's enough stalks to play a Children Of The Corn game.  lol