Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A piece of real estate which me and the wife are bidding on...  (Read 11400 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: A piece of real estate which me and the wife are bidding on...
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »
Are they going cheap though  ???

Cheap is a relative thing... They are certainly cheaper now than two years ago - we bought last year, just when prices had fallen quite a bit, and interest was very low - but prices are still higher than 6-7 years ago, when the bubble started to get inflated, I think. But with the current financial climate, nobody dares take a mortgage, so now the government is talking about lowering the property-tax fro house-buyers to give an incentative to buy... Thanks a lot, I say - the rest of us can then just keep paying the full amount, just because we read the market right...?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 02:29:41 PM »
Do I read right? The cellar is shared with two other domiciles? Puts the breaks on some ceremonies.  :D

Hammers, to 'merican eyes, the outside looks right for historical (okay, not quite Gothic) horror as well. ;->=

I'm sure I've seen the like in a Hammer film or three.

Doug

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 02:42:32 PM »
Do I read right? The cellar is shared with two other domiciles? Puts the breaks on some ceremonies.  :D

Think of it as a cult. ;)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »
That property will command a high price. Who could resist turning the basement into a guest bedroom? Plagued by visiting relatives? No more.....
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 11:24:45 PM »
Wow, I could never bid on a place like that.
I turned down houses that had cemeteries on the same street (think future zombie outbreak).
I could not imagine having a crypt in the basement though.
Great for Halloween parties I suppose
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 12:28:32 AM »
A few years ago we had a contractor building a spec house who turned up a coffin in good condition. Authorities were called, the coffin opened, and inside was a mummifed girl of twelve or so. Coroner took a look, decided it was nearly a century old and wasn't murder so therefore none of his business.

Sheriff and county said it wasn't their concern and no one had a clue who she was, so reburial was the contractor's responsibility.

Cheapskate that he was he just put the coffin a bit deeper and poored the concrete basement over it.

I drive by that place once or twice a week and wonder who she was.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:47:51 AM by Cory »

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 03:45:39 AM »
Makes you wonder if there will be the ghost of a young girl wandering round the place, now that her grave has been disturbed...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »
Hammers

What's the latest on the spooky house? Are you still in a bidding war with the Count from Transylvania?

Well, we have not officially pulled out but in all practical terms we have. At the current bid (not sure what the pound 's at?) we'll have to kill and bury bodies*) beneath some other, cheaper house and wait another 800 years for it to become just as cool.

*)Preferably the sods who are winning the bidding...  >:(

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 12:29:57 PM »
Makes you wonder if there will be the ghost of a young girl wandering round the place, now that her grave has been disturbed...

Since Malamute doesn't seem to be too upset about this thread I have to ask who among you really do believe in the existence of ghosts and the like?

I am a rationalist myself, but I was amused and perplexed as I, during the Medieval Week of Visby, ran in to a young mother who, when I told her about this piece of property we are looking at , in all sincerity offered that she and her husband would come over 'and rid the place of spirits, in a nice way, because we do that as a hobby!'. Had we been able to buy this house I would definitely have had her over to do this, just for the experiences, but would for the sheer entertainment value have asked for the 'not so nice way' option, if there is one.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 06:18:28 PM »
My wife claims to, she's a Kardecist. I don't as I am profoundly sceptical about such things. As I love my wife, we tend to avoid discussion of the topic. I view it as a harmless occasional pastime, much as she regards me painting my 'dolls', as she calls them.

I know people who believe in Candomblé and accept the notion of some ethereal aspect of the dead entering the body during their ceremonies. On the whole I accept that as a cultural manifestation so it bothers me not. I can even recall being blessed outside the church at Bonfim by some transvestite devotee a few years ago who waved smoke over me and scattered popcorn over my head as an accompaniment to a blessing on my family. Actually if I were to follow a religion, I suspect I'd go for one where the consumption of cigars and strong booze were used as votary gifts, beats the bejebus out of watery wine and stale wafers.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »
Actually if I were to follow a religion, I suspect I'd go for one where the consumption of cigars and strong booze were used as votary gifts, beats the bejebus out of watery wine and stale wafers.

Sounds bloody good to me  :)

Pretty much the whole female side of my wife's family reckon they have some sort of 'feeling' about that sort of thing. My wife has actually scared me a couple of times by waking me up in the dead of night saying that someone is watching her (I wasn't scared by the ghosty bit, just the fact that I'm a light sleeper and she certainly isn't  lol ).

I'm not convinced at the moment, but like a lot of things I might be if I experienced something definite  :?

cheers

James
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:21:53 PM by jimbibbly »
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 07:35:48 PM »
I believe there is something responsible for all the sightings/feelings/auditory phenomena that have occured and continue to occur.  After all, it's not like it's an isolated happening.  People have experienced things for centuries, if not millennia.  I don't know whether it's stored energy, an 'All-Mind' we tap into, actual physical survival or whatever, but it's there.  I just wish I had a chance to feel it myself but it appears to only hit the maternal female side of my family.  My grandmother saw something when she was younger.  My cousin knew when both my mother and her father died, despite being miles away when it happened and she's experienced other things that had no rational explanation.  Her sister lived in a known 'haunted' house at one time and had her own 'encounters'.  She was very glad when they moved! Let's just say I don't disbelieve.

It's part of the same argument regarding ET's.  Can anybody honestly believe that out of the trillions of stars out there that we are the only sign of intelligent (and I use the word loosely) life?  The only thing scarier than the thought that we're not alone in the universe is the thought that we are.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 07:48:22 PM »
Ah Bezzo, so it was you over on that travel forum inquiring about where to find a genuine Ayahuasca ceremony in Cheshire..... It's OK, your secret's safe with me. ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
I believe there is something responsible for all the sightings/feelings/auditory phenomena that have occured and continue to occur.  After all, it's not like it's an isolated happening.  People have experienced things for centuries, if not millennia.  I don't know whether it's stored energy, an 'All-Mind' we tap into, actual physical survival or whatever, but it's there.  I just wish I had a chance to feel it myself but it appears to only hit the maternal female side of my family.  My grandmother saw something when she was younger.  My cousin knew when both my mother and her father died, despite being miles away when it happened and she's experienced other things that had no rational explanation.  Her sister lived in a known 'haunted' house at one time and had her own 'encounters'.  She was very glad when they moved! Let's just say I don't disbelieve.

It's part of the same argument regarding ET's.  Can anybody honestly believe that out of the trillions of stars out there that we are the only sign of intelligent (and I use the word loosely) life?  The only thing scarier than the thought that we're not alone in the universe is the thought that we are.

I've seen ghosts. I mean I have seen things which are what people think of as ghosts when they experience them.  Once saw a man  standing at the end of my bed, looking down on me. In a moment he was gone. Scared me shitless, it did.

I do however accept that there infinitely better explanations to phenomena like this rather than believing that they are autonomous apparitions of people dead, from heaven or hell or from other dimensions.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
Absolut?