Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:35:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ironclads  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
Ironclads
« on: August 29, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »
I really like ACW Ironclads and I'm looking for companies that make them in 28mm scale. I know of Redoubt, but that about it. Does anyone know of others?

I'm also looking for rules to play them at using this scale as well and so any ideas would be really appreciated.  :)

Christopher
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:32:38 PM by Axebreaker »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Ironclads
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
I think there is a plastic kit of (perhaps)a monitor. I remember seeing one at Triples (UK show) 17ish years ago.

Not much help I know  ::) but it might be a start to have a look at Revell or Arfix etc.

If you don find any I'll make you some  ;) :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 04:50:34 PM »
PMC have advertised some generic ones on EBay recently.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »
If you don find any I'll make you some  Wink Smiley

I'm sure you would do a fantastic job James as your work is brill, but equally sure it would cost a pretty penny. ;)

Christopher

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »
Considering vessels such as the CSS Albemarle, classed as a small ram, were an average of 150' in length, I think you may find yourself in deeper water than you expected.  That scales out slightly over 32'' in 1/56 scale.  Even the simplest ironclad, like USS Monitor, would be around 36'' in length and her famous opponent, CSS Virginia, scales in at over 59''! So, unless you have a gymnasium in which to maneuver, you might want to consider working in a slightly smaller scale.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:40:40 PM »
Considering vessels such as the CSS Albemarle, classed as a small ram, were an average of 150' in length, I think you may find yourself in deeper water than you expected.  That scales out slightly over 32'' in 1/56 scale.  Even the simplest ironclad, like USS Monitor, would be around 36'' in length and her famous opponent, CSS Virginia, scales in at over 59''! So, unless you have a gymnasium in which to maneuver, you might want to consider working in a slightly smaller scale.

Yes your probably right, but in my favor most of the fighting was done very close and so I could get away with using shorter ranges. I'm also interested in adding shore batteries and boarding actions to the gaming. I think a in depth damage chart and a slightly more difficult chance to penetrate will help as well. Above all, I'm willing to accept some loss in realism for the visuals as my primary goal is atmosphere and getting a fun feel for the times.

Also, you would scale the ships down quite a bit, but they would still be large. Similar to how most trees and houses are made for 25mm. ;)
I suppose for practical reasons one would not make any vessel longer then 30in. long and 10in. wide. This is how most build their colonial ships right here on the forum and even though most are not actual in size they still work IMHO.
I guess I should also say I was only visualizing between 2 to 4 ships on the board and not large navel engagements if that helps any.

Christopher
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:14:18 PM by Axebreaker »

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »
Why not go with either 15mm or 28mm scale? There is plenty of stuff around in those scales.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:05:26 PM »
Well, good luck.  I'm one of those guys who looks at a lot of semi- or off-scale models and thinks 'why'd they pick one so big they had to fudge it'.  Offends my sense of aesthetics, I guess, but that's just me.

There's a set of rules designed for 1/600 ACW riverine warfare that might have a few helpful hints and facts for you.  Check out River Wars from The Johnny Reb Gaming Society at Wargame Vault.  They're only about $8.

@Tom Reed

1/56 scale is 28mm!  ;)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »
Well, good luck.  I'm one of those guys who looks at a lot of semi- or off-scale models and thinks 'why'd they pick one so big they had to fudge it'.  Offends my sense of aesthetics, I guess, but that's just me.

You must spend quite a bit of time offended, because virtually everything done at 25/28mm is scaled down! lol

For myself it depends on how it looks and if it works. A case by case basis I suppose. I've seen some large houses built to scale and it just looks wrong even when you know it's right.

There's a set of rules designed for 1/600 ACW riverine warfare that might have a few helpful hints and facts for you.  Check out River Wars from The Johnny Reb Gaming Society at Wargame Vault

Thank you and I appreciate your tip! I'll look into it. :)

Christopher

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 10:42:43 PM »
I'm sure you would do a fantastic job James as your work is brill, but equally sure it would cost a pretty penny. ;)

Maybe not that much  ;)

Are you intending to do boarding actions as well? (you've got me tempted now, I've got the Ospreys  :))

cheers

James

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 10:47:06 PM »
...You must spend quite a bit of time offended...

Oh, I do, but I learned to bite my tongue many years ago!  ;)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 11:13:03 PM »
Maybe not that much  Wink

You can PM me an approx. cost and in what material. I like the Merrimac style wise. ;)

Are you intending to do boarding actions as well? (you've got me tempted now, I've got the Ospreys  Smiley
)

Yes, something similar to what Redoubt did.

Christopher

Offline Greystreak

• Librarian
  • Old Age + Guile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 02:12:39 AM »
Oh, I do, but I learned to bite my tongue many years ago!  ;)

Sigh.  Those Canucks are always so polite!  lol