Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:33:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691123
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Custom cards and boxes to put them in  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Custom cards and boxes to put them in
« on: August 28, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »
As the long summer holidays drift into their final week, I'm getting round to a couple of niggly little jobs that have been cluttering up my painting/modelling corner.

One such proto-project is to get enough stuff together for Sharp Practice to run a demo game for the lads to suck them in  ;)

Anyway, this thread reminded me I had bought some printable perforated cards from plaincards.com to make my own Sharp Practice and Bonus Card decks.

The sheets are a good thickness of card, very close to standard playing cards, and are US letter size. They fed through my Canon Inkjet MP800 with absolutely problems at all, but I did take care to print just one side at a time, then feed them back through as I thought them being bent over for duplex printing might make the cards pop out.

plaincards have their own design software on their site, but I was too stingy for that (the demos don't allow you print) so made my own template in MS Publisher, filled it in with the text I needed, and Robert's your mother's brother!

The printed cards popped out very easily with a little back-and-forth bending along the perforations. The pack comes with a little sanding block to rub of the perforation marks left on the cards:

I was very pleased, but then realised I should go the whole hog and make boxes for each deck. So I did! I found this nifty site which allows you to enter the dimensions of your deck of cards and then print off a pdf of the 'net' to make an appropriately sized box. Simply cut, fold and stick, and taa-daa!

I may yet make some stickers to go on the outside of the boxes to label them up. Finisher-completer characteristics to the fore! I also made a box to hold my fan-made BloodBowl cards, which are in the completed box above.

Hope that's of use to someone.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:41:11 AM by Mister Rab »

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: Custom cards and boxes to put them in
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »
Excellent stuff there, they look great!

Check the links though, I couldn't get through to Plaincards from your link.

Thanks for posting this up.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:18:16 AM »
Those look great!

I have a small amount of surplus hobby money for once (an order I placed is being refunded...) so I think part of that might have to go off to those Plain Cards folks.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:42:46 AM »
Check the links though, I couldn't get through to Plaincards from your link.

Fixed it. Sorry about that, I'd cut'n'pasted from my blog and obviously missed changing the code for that one  ::)

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 03:11:02 PM »
nice job! I have these plain cards also, but I haven't printed them yet since I am not sure if I could get the printing to hit the right area :P

How did you get the right configuration for MS publisher to design and print the cards? Are there ready made templates for the cards to use with publisher?

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
I measured the cards and then made my own template in MS publisher - anyone who wants it is welcome to PM me and I'll email it to them - share the wealth, eh?