Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:02:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Red Tails  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Red Tails
« on: August 24, 2011, 11:11:50 PM »

Looking pretty good I think… and about one of the most famous USAF unit;

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3239156761
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
Re: Red Tails
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:35 PM »
Looks good, and looks like a remake of the 1995 film "Tuskegee Airmen", which I enjoyed very much.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »

Yes, but it’s nice to see that this story finally get the "big bucks" treatment… let just hope that Hollywood don’t screw this up :?

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:24:05 AM »
Looks good, however the judicious use of CGI and the comment,"Inspired by true events" make me wary.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:08:40 AM »
Doesnt people get tired of these kind of movies?
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 01:12:09 AM »
Yes, but it’s nice to see that this story finally get the "big bucks" treatment… let just hope that Hollywood don’t screw this up :?

Absolutely - the 'Red Tails' trailer looks great and I am keen to see it.

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:15:51 PM »
Same here! Tuskegee airmen was a great movie already, can't wait for this one :)
Daaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 07:35:31 PM »
Looks good.

Must admit that I was in complete ignorance of an all black fighter squadron in WW2.

Any recommendations on histories to read?

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »
I know a few books have been done on it. I myself am only fairly aware of what went on in WW2 as is and only became aware of this particular subject when some very arrogant and spiteful woman came up to me asking if I had any books on the Tuskagee (which we did not since one has not been in print since the early 2000s) and had a right go about it in ways that were utterly absurd but very with the modern era.

However I suspect with this sort of thing coming out we may well see a few books being done on it. So keep an eye out.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 08:08:15 PM »
I know a few books have been done on it. I myself am only fairly aware of what went on in WW2 as is and only became aware of this particular subject when some very arrogant and spiteful woman came up to me asking if I had any books on the Tuskagee (which we did not since one has not been in print since the early 2000s) and had a right go about it in ways that were utterly absurd but very with the modern era.

However I suspect with this sort of thing coming out we may well see a few books being done on it. So keep an eye out.

Can't say its my thing, but will probably watch it on a rainy day!

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 12:20:19 PM »

Sound advice!

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 07:17:30 PM »
Looks good.

Must admit that I was in complete ignorance of an all black fighter squadron in WW2.

Any recommendations on histories to read?

There's a number of books out there that I have not read.  The two I did read are both rather good histories:

Freedom Flyers: The Tuskeegee Airmen of WW2

This one is a compilation of a series of interviews from a living history project, and is pretty fascinating.  The writer tooks these interviews and wrapped them into a very good narrative about the history of the unit, from conception through training into action, and the aftermath, with the interviews being used to illustrate points at each step.

http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Flyers-Tuskegee-Airmen-History/dp/0195386558/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314641435&sr=1-1

The other one is -
Tuskeegee Airmen: Men Who Changed a Nation - this one is better as a research resource, but its not a particularly reader-friendly book.  Much of it is directly culled from offical reports, and if you are not accustomed to that style of writing, you may be in for a challenge.  However, when it comes down to specific facts, dates, names, locations etc, this one is VERY good.

http://www.amazon.com/Tuskegee-Airmen-Men-Changed-Nation/dp/0828320292/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314641435&sr=1-12

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »
Osprey has a volume in their Aviation Elite Units series.

Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »
Thanks - some excellent selections there.

I might pick up the Osprey book - always a good way to get a feeling for a subject.