Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What would a 11th Century Scots warband looked like?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline dm

• Scientist
What would a 11th Century Scots warband looked like?
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:45:59 AM »
Have put together various warbands for my late 11th Century project in the last couple of years which include Norman, late Saxon, Danish and Irish. Now thinking of adding a Scottish one but not certain of what a warband of this period would have worn and what weapons they would have used and what miniatures to use ???. Any help would be great. :)

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: What would a 11th Century Scots warband looked like?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 10:34:30 AM »
Hairy  ;)

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »
Aye, Captain, that's what I remember from "Braveheart",too.  :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:56:47 AM »
It would be worth looking at the GB ranges, you can mix and match a lot of the earlier (romano British) ranges and mix and match form other areas.

If you can manage to get your hands on the Warhammer Ancients lists book Shieldwall that is a cracking starting point and would give you some good background info etc

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:10:44 PM »
I'd have thought it would look very similar to a contemporary Danish or Late Saxon warband, to be honest. Scotland was not unaffectedd by Danish/Norwegian settlement, indeed much of the north and west of (what is now) Scotland was under the more or less direct control of people of Scandinavian origins, and in the 11th had been part of the 'North Sea Community' (if that's not too gross an expression) for some considerable time.

Danish + Irish may be the way to go?

Offline Rotorcraft

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
I think the Old Glory´s Scots range looks so close to what you are trying to get, with that mix of Viking and Scotti armor and clothes.

http://miniaturesaga.blogspot.com.es/2012/09/old-glory-28mm-dark-age-scots.html

http://saskminigamer.blogspot.com.es/2012/02/scottish-spear-and-other-dark-age-fun.html

Perhaps you could equip some of them with kite shields.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:22:45 PM by Rotorcraft »

Offline Ehouarn

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »
Aye, Captain, that's what I remember from "Braveheart",too.  :D

Surely the worst source if you want a good idea of what medieval Scots could look.
I agree with Red Orc for the homogeneity inside the "north sea community" and the Old Glory's range seems to confirm the hypothesis  ;)

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 09:36:43 PM »
Im doing something similar - so far Im using Crusaders Scots, GB picts, some Scheltrum caterans as galwegians and a half dozen normans. Probably add in some saxon types as troops from the lothians too.
Depending on the size of your warband I reckon you can do a fair bit of mixing & matching. Pictish styles wont have died out by the 11thc and youve got saxons, scots, vikings, normans and welsh as well.
Id go for a majority of troops in bare legs and a smattering of other styles unless youre going big enough to group them into contingents.

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 08:27:15 AM »
Thank you all for the information :) And will go for a mix of miniatures from various companies.

Each warband is composed of around 30 miniatures apart from the Normans which i got carried away with but using some of them as later Anglo-Normans. The other warbands may be expanded in the future if the cash and my eyesight permits :)

Will try to avoid Braveheart lol and it is 'set' in a later period anyway ;)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »
By Scots I take it you mean Islesmen?

I'd say go with Irish with leaders armed and equipped as Norse or Hiberno-Norse. The Norwegians ruled the isles off the west of Scotland and the sea was a road which linked Scandinavia, north and west of Scotland, Mann and Ireland. The Lewis Chessmen are only slightly later - probably 12thC, so take a look at them and keep the shields earlier. GB are probably your best bet.

Hope that helped a bit.

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 03:48:58 PM »
I am looking to set up a force that would have operated from north of the border and fought against late period Saxons, Danish and Normans if given half the chance. Ok i know the border was fairly mobile during this and later periods.

Have had a look at Crusader Miniatures offerings and they seem to fit the bill but will add a few GB Danes and maybe the odd Late Saxon miniature. Like the idea of giving some of them similiar shaped shields to the Lewis Chess men :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 03:34:10 PM »
If it were to be a Lowland Warband then very much like a late 11th Century English Warband in all likelyhood!

Darrell.