Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686592
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dwarf King Adalhildr's Court  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Dwarf King Adalhildr's Court
« on: August 30, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
Here are some Dwarves I have done, though I am using them to represent a few characters from my own little world (the description of which is below!) they are the H.Q for my Mantic Dwarven army! I believe the sculptor for these was the same sculptor for Hasslefree (I could be wrong!) anyhow, enjoy!

Coming of the Grannalfr

Long ago, soon after the Great ship brought mankind to this Earth, there was a time when the names Alfr and Grannalfr were none existent. It is said that 'Elves' and 'Dwarves' as many came to call them came to be when humanity, new to this world were brought to evil deeds against one another by the terrible magics of demons and vile spirits. The Grannalfr, were the first to appear, though they disappeared for near a century after creation, their tale is a tragic one. Fear and Agony is what forced the Grannalfr into being...

Upon the hinterlands, besides the icy seas in the shadow of snow peaked mountains, cloaked by mist, was once a King. His people had long escaped the terrors wrought upon those who remained in the more warmer lands beyond. This Kingdom with time, earned a living from the barren landscape they had chosen to dwell in. The King 'Adalwulf' by his subjects was beloved by all, for his rule was fair. Adalwulf though not a skilled fighter, was a passionate and brave leader, never a man given quickly to rage and immune to all things many would find insulting or repulsive. The King was blessed with reasonable wealth, his people prospered, with no bad peace, nor war, as no other kingdom existed for miles around and the monsters of the hinterlands rarely saw a need to prey on humans, despite the climate the harvest often provided enough to prevent starvation, and the seas were full of fish. Adalwulf however was cursed with something few people ought to endure; despite having a caring wife, it was discovered the couple could not have children. Adalwulf masked his grief, and accepting the fate the new gods had befallen on him turned all his attention to caring for his people. Things however were not to last, when from the south, the Dremog; a race of demon-men began to drive the people of the south into the hinterlands. Adalwulf rallied his warriors and pressed south to fend of the Dremog, offering shelter to refugees fleeing the horrors the Dremog had inflicted upon their loved ones and homes. Adalwulfs warriors nobly held back the Dremog, defeating them at a great battle at the mouth of the Dragon Fjord, so called because of its shape.

Upon returning home, Adalwulf was given a heroes welcome, but it soon became clear that the refugees who had fled the south, could not return to their homes. Adalwulf did what he could to accommodate those in need, but as the months passed, the added population quickly consumed the spare stocks of food, and before long people began to starve, conflicts arose, Kingdom and Refugee Men were soon fighting amongst themselves for what fertile ground could be found, or what scraps of food could be scavenged. Adalwulf was called upon by both sides to join their cause, but the good king could not for the sakes of integrity allow either group to fade away. Out of his good nature, and as a gesture of goodwill, the King adopted two small children made orphans by the infighting. One a Girl, Adalwulf called Carita, and the other a boy he named Adalhildr who he then entrusted the care of to his wife and to be watched over by his bodyguard Birger. For a time this calmed the situation, but before long, a Kingdom soldier called Caecusarr plotted to kill the King and destroy the Southern peoples. Caecusarr however was a careless man, and on the eve of his rebellion his servant, loyal to the king, quickly warned Adalwulf. When Caecusarr arrived with his men, Adalwulf was ready, but after a long battle, it became clear that Caecusarr had far more supporters, and Adalwulf was forced to retreat. With his bodyguard, wife, children and any who still held faith in the king, they fled to the mountains in which to hide.

Years passed, many passed away in the harsh weather, old and young were left to perish on the windswept ridges of the mountains, either from the cold, or to waste away due to lack of food. News came that the Dremog had returned, and had destroyed what was left of the Kingdom, their doom march had awoken other foul beasts in the forest. Adalwulf, now a shadow of his former self, lay dying on his death bed, in a damp, moss trodden cave, his wife long gone, gave Birger and those bodyguards who still remained, his final request. He told them to take the surviving children including Adalhildr, and Carita, deep into the mountain, where according to legend, an old spirit dwelt. At first Birger refused, but Adalwulf reassured him, informing him that the old spirit meant no harm, and had sheltered those humans who had arrived, lost and hunted when the great ship landed. He told Birger, that the old spirit was the last hope for the Kingdom people. With this Adalwulf went still, his soul released back into the cycle of death and rebirth.

So Birger did what Adalwulf asked of him, and took those children who still remained deep into the dark innards of the mountain. After days of searching, when it seemed that no such spirit existed, Birger came across an old woman, dressed in a dirty tunic sitting upon a mound of rock her knobbled knees exposed, a pillar of light shone down upon the frail figure, appearing as if from no where, given the group were so far down. Birger asked the old woman what she was doing so far down and if she could reveal him the location of the spirit. The Old woman, amused at Birgers questions, calmly informed Birger she was the so called spirit the soldier was looking for. The Old woman told Birger that he could help Birger and the dead Adalwulf's people, but for the spirit to succeed there must first be a sacrifice. The spirit told Birger that for her powers to succeed in saving his people, he and his warriors must first give their lives in defence of the innocent, a true sacrifice, second, only those who were young and thus untouched by sins that only those of older stock could willingly and knowingly commit be saved, the rest unfortunately were doomed to die. Birger agreed, but asked how he could properly sacrifice himself deep within the mountain? The spirit sadly informed him that the Dremog had tracked his people down, whilst Birger was away, slaughtered them, and used the Dark magic of Corpse seeing: an ability to pick information from the dead by torturing their souls to discover his whereabouts. Within moments, the inhuman howls echoed down the passageways leading to the spirits vast chamber. Birger and his men with their bronze shields and swords, raced to stop the Dremog from finding the children, and in the bloody battle, were all cut down fulfilling the sacrifice.

When the Dremog entered the spirits chamber however, they found nothing, no children, no spirit, no light and no exits. Confused, the Dremog marched out. The Dremog soon claimed dominion over all the lands the humans had once settled in the north, those humans which remained were slaves to the terrible beasts, or lived on the fringes of the known world, living as savage tribes or suspicious sea faring peoples, nothing substantial enough to break the Dremog once and for all. Beneath those mist cloaked mountains, in the lands once governed by good King Adalwulf, the Dremog were unaware they were being watched. Years passed, and their power grew. Word came to the enslaved humans that beyond the South lands, a Human Empire had arisen, and to the east, the howls of huge wolves had been heard in the cold dark of night, and strange lithe like people emerging to attack Dremog caravans.There was something even more pressing though, for those humans under the shadow of the mountain. Their children had been slowly disappearing. At first many believed the Dremog had taken to eating them, but then again the Dremog wouldn't need to be so low profile about taking what they wanted. Clearly it was something else.

Then one day, on a dreary rainy day, the mountain roared, belching fire from its caves, plumes of ash thundering upwards. The Dremog and even the humans believed they had angered a local god, but they were wrong. The sounds of marching feet and clatter of metal echoed through the valleys and fjords, when suddenly stood before the Dremog city, a great army of small metal clad men and women. They were smaller than the average human, their foreheads solid and broad, the males face was covered in an overflowing beard, whilst the women bore long scraggly hair, their beady eyes burning searing hatred. Then from their number thundered one whose armour was set with intricate designs, of men slaying Dremog, children being guided by an old hag, and overtime, deep within the darkness, how with the nurture of the old spirit, they changed, transformed, became something else.

The warrior stopped, eyeing the baffled defenders for a moment. Then with a bloodcurdling cry announced 'I am King Adalhildr, leader of the Grannalfr! Adopted son of Adalwulf, human and king of this land! I am his rightful heir! The spirit my witness, I will take back my land, and burn the filth that dares leaves its scent on my fathers hall!'

The Dwarves were born.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dwarf King Adalhildr's Court
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:38:11 PM »
WOW!

You got me into buying Mantic Dwarfs! (I already like very much their undead)

Check out the plastics berserkers dwarfs from AoW:

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=63

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:55:18 PM »
Thanks very much! The Mantic Dwarven metals are fantastic (afterall the sculptor for them is pretty awesome) the plastic ones may be an acquired taste, although I liked their character very much. The AoW dwarves are brilliant, but I wouldn't know what to do with them given I have some Mantic ones, though I may be tempted to add them to the collection when I have some spare cash!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
The AoW dwarves are brilliant, but I wouldn't know what to do with them given I have some Mantic ones, though I may be tempted to add them to the collection when I have some spare cash!

Well, I was planning to use them as... well, BERSERKERS! (you know, that wild bunch of fearless monster-slayer dwarfs!)  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 07:09:02 AM »
Nice colour scheme on characterful minis!

One advice: Thin your paints for hightlights and use at least two consecutively lighter shades of the colour (ending up with the brightest ones only on small, raised areas). You won't regret it. I didn't, when I took the plunge into full layering instead of washes and drybrushing some time after joining here  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:22:36 AM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 08:29:33 AM »
I'll give it a shot thanks! I did try layering once with some Rackham Wolven, was never sure of the result mind.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:25:48 AM »
I'll give it a shot thanks! I did try layering once with some Rackham Wolven, was never sure of the result mind.

Fur is an awful subject to learn layering on. Long floating robes, cloaks, tabards, and any fabric with lots of folds and swirls, on the other hand, is a treat  :)