Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VSF heavy weapons  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
VSF heavy weapons
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:49:45 PM »
Looking for ideas for heavy weapons (one of each kind with limited variations is my goal) for my varied VSF forces.

I have electricity with Brigade Games Electro-canon [sic]

I was thinking variations on that would be a wire trailing harpoon that carries the charge in the line after the harpoon grounds itself.

Flame-weapon (flame-thrower, incendiary mortar/howitzer)  or Martian Heat Ray type effects

Sonic Cannon or Machine Gun

nitro/dynamite gun (there was a dynamite gun in the SAW IIRC...)

Martian Black smoke (poison gas) effects

other ideas?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Count Winsky

• Scientist
Re: VSF heavy weapons
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 01:05:05 AM »
Glenn,

How about a Heavy (75mm or higher) Double Barrelled Artillery Piece. Basically, two artillery piece barrells about six feet apart with a long chain in between the guns. When the shots go out the two artillery shells would carry the chain and this evil munition could explode at a predetermined distance, but the chain could be used to bring down or disable walkers, dinosaurs, masts of ships, cut troops in half, etc?

Count Winsky

“There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.”

Marcus Garvey

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 03:06:49 AM »
That does sound very VSF-y...   lol

Have to give that some thought.   o_o

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »
How about a Heavy (75mm or higher) Double Barrelled Artillery Piece. Basically, two artillery piece barrells about six feet apart with a long chain in between the guns. When the shots go out the two artillery shells would carry the chain and this evil munition could explode at a predetermined distance, but the chain could be used to bring down or disable walkers, dinosaurs, masts of ships, cut troops in half, etc?

I know this had been tried much earlier, but the timing of ignition was a major problem. The two guns must go off at the same time, or you've at best dismounting one barrel, at worst created a scythe-of-death chain swinging around the unfired piece.

Nasty. Still, the fiendishly clever Victorians could have found a solution.

Doug

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »
One of my Martian flyers is armed with a lighting gun. The equivalent of a gattling gun firing electrical bursts instead of bullets.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 02:16:32 PM »
... the timing of ignition was a major problem. The two guns must go off at the same time... Still, the fiendishly clever Victorians could have found a solution.

Perhaps both barrels use the same ignition? Certainly there is the problem of the thrust going in two directions as well as having to turn corners or something, but this is VSF, after all; as long as it's got rivets on it, hang the bally physics is what I say.

I have a chap with a man-portable 'glavanic projector'/lightning gun - basically a laser-rifle - and I'm soon to be getting hold of a lightning cannon; I've also been messing around with the idea of an Aetheric Flux Bombard, which is more or less a 40k plasma gun; it is more powerful but more unreliable than galvanic weapons, because it relies on changing the nature of reality itself through manipulation of the Aetheric Flux, and therefore can go spectacularly wrong.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »
Perhaps both barrels use the same ignition? Certainly there is the problem of the thrust going in two directions as well as having to turn corners or something, but this is VSF, after all; as long as it's got rivets on it, hang the bally physics is what I say.

I cant find it, but I know there was a mechanism around the turn of the centry that used the movement caused by the recoil of one gun (aranged in this way)  to load and cock the second, all by the means of a perpandicular bar placed on the breach. It was only used for what we would now call a 'autocannon' tough. Its the mechanism used on the old tail guns of the Bear Bomber.

Have you concidered a gattling-horse? I saw one yesterday in a silly steampunk film.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 03:26:48 PM by Mr.Marx »

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »
What about a Carbon gun? (Copyright  :) )
Its doesn't shoot lumps of coal but turns the target into one!!
Perfect for fueling your nefs
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »
Perhaps you could try a steam mortar that fires globes like paintballs, each full of noxious substances? Propelled by a short, sharp burst of steam (for which you'd need an engine coupled to the device, natch), the globes fly in a high trajectory, burst open on impact, spreading the napalm/acid/plague spores/Marmite everywhere. That should create alarm and despondency to all within reach.  :D
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »
Perhaps you could try a steam mortar that fires globes like paintballs, each full of noxious substances? Propelled by a short, sharp burst of steam (for which you'd need an engine coupled to the device, natch), the globes fly in a high trajectory, burst open on impact, spreading the napalm/acid/plague spores/Marmite everywhere. That should create alarm and despondency to all within reach.  :D

That's how the 'black smoke' weapons work.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 05:17:50 AM »
I cant find it, but I know there was a mechanism around the turn of the centry that used the movement caused by the recoil of one gun (aranged in this way)  to load and cock the second, all by the means of a perpandicular bar placed on the breach. It was only used for what we would now call a 'autocannon' tough. Its the mechanism used on the old tail guns of the Bear Bomber.

Growing up we called them pom-pom cannons.  There seems to be two varieties of "pom-pom" cannons though, one named for the sound and one named for the action.  It was still a pretty common method of cycling AA weapons all the way till the early 1980s.

To the OP though, their was a considerable fascination with different types of energies at the time.  Heat and Cold rays would not be out of place - though the specific mechanism would be a bit different for VSF as opposed to Pulp since the understanding of physics was different.  Google "cold head" to get an idea of how one might build a steam powered cold weapon.

Sonic of coarse is an obvious choice - but don't forget seismic.  Something like a pile driver that strikes the ground to send a tremor towards your enemy and knock them over, destroy fortifications and topple vehicles.  While it wouldn't pass modern scientific scrutiny - it would work well enough for them.