Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:32:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Late war Luftwaffe  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Old Goat

• Scientist
Late war Luftwaffe
« on: September 04, 2011, 07:30:44 AM »
Esteemed colleagues,

Can anyone please give me some pointers on Late war Luftwaffe uniforms, I bought some of the BAM plastics and have a hankering to paint them up as Goerings troops rushed to western front to backfaill Heer and SS as they were slowly worn down...

Are we talking about these formations in Luftwaffe Blue tunics, trousers etc. or by now were they using whatever they could lay hands on?

Many Thanks, Goat.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Late war Luftwaffe
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 07:56:06 AM »

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
That Fraulein makes me go all;

Try:
http://resistantroosters.com/tutorials/tanWatercamo.pdf
http://www.freewebs.com/jenjr9899/uniformsandequipment.htm

or pop around and look at our books.

or as the boy slug suggests look in your Soldier of Fortune catalogue, which was last spotted in the corridor to your study on the left atop a box.

p.s. Let the cat out.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:35:55 AM by 6milPhil »

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »
I was just about to write a long and booring suggestion for painting, and noticed that there had been another post made, and the second link in that post is really good for painting purposes, and as far as I can see rather correct.

or by now were they using whatever they could lay hands on?

This is a mis-conception that have been prevailing in the WWII modeling (and otherwise as well I suppose) world for a long time. They seldom used what they could get their hands on, but rather what they where issued. This goes for Heer, LW as well as WSS, and yes even late in the war. The exception being mainly winter clothing.
Lots of troops got transfered from Heer to LW (and from LW to SS for instance), wich means that a rather large proportion of troops could end up with issued gear that never got returned (on purpose or due to lack of time or resources), and hence entered service in a different branch with small amounts of mixed gear.

Oh forgot... Michis little Fallschirmjägerin is awsome hehe. I now understand why my grandfather entered the 1st FJ Division during the war :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 03:29:07 PM by Galland »
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Old Goat

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 05:09:33 PM »
Danke Schon Kamerad...

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
Wilkomen over to my place...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 11:03:44 PM »
Oh forgot... Michis little Fallschirmjägerin is awsome hehe. I now understand why my grandfather entered the 1st FJ Division during the war :D

He had great legs and a taste for show tunes?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 10:32:06 AM »
He had great legs and a taste for show tunes?

Funny in a way, he had to amputate both his legs right after the war, just where the legs meets the groin, due to legionaires infection (?) from old wounds that he reciwed in the early campaign in Russia (Leningrad).

Offline Old Goat

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »
Right currently painting the lads up as Luftwaffe Field Division troops, so Luftwaffe Blue, darker blue gaiters, brown kit etc. etc.

As an aside I have a couple of sections of FJ I've been painting for oooh...about a year now on and off...On that note Galland, I've gone down the early jump smock path as opposed to Splinter, I know that's OK for 39 - 42 but what about 43 and onwards?

The idea was to be able to do some small (very small), skirmish actions around Osterbeek, the great (from the gaming point of view) part of this particular encounter is you can use pretty much whatever you want and won't go too far wrong...Well sort of...

Thanks for the pointers gents...

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
The splinter versions where issued right after Crete, at least there are pictures of the medal ceremonies (that occured right after that operation), however, there are plenty of pictures and sources that mention the use of mixed uniforms during 43 and even later in 44 (mix of the olive green and the splinter versions). So, with that in mind, you can pretty much paint them as you wish.
There are pictures of early models (pattern one and two) of olive green jump smocks in the Ardennes.

I hope this is of any help to you :)