Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:32:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Kampfgruppe Normandy in 28?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Mac V

• Bookworm
Kampfgruppe Normandy in 28?
« on: September 04, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
I ordered my book and was wondering if anyone who has played KGN thinks it would be possible to play it in 28mm?

I have a full set up for skirmish in Normandy in 28mm and I'm wondering if I should just soldier on with 28mm utilizing the new 28mm plastics, OR would I truly be best off with the switch to 20mm.

I'm looking to use KGN for larger scale battles, so 300 to 400 points per side if I'm getting the right impressions from the Bat Reps. I'd like to host games for 4 to 8 players optimally.

2 immediate issues I'm guessing will be table size and the lack of vehicle/figure variety in 28 compared to 20.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Kampfgruppe Normandy in 28?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 03:25:46 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this, even though I have played a fair bit of WWII with 20mm in the past. I did try out FoW and I didnt like it at all, especially the scale (and the rules), and have a bit of the same issues here.
I totally understand why they did choose 20mm as scale for the game rules, to allow for larger battles etc etc (wich of course is possible in 28mm as well, its all about the table size), and the fact that most older WWII gamers are used to and have huge armies allready painted up and ready to go.

In the end, its about the general awsomeness with 28mm that keep me to this range, I like the fact that my Köningstiger is large, very large, and I also prefer 28mm any day of the week when it comes to wargaming, I like the larger minitures.

However... I got to admit this, and its a confession of some sort I suppose. I have, since I read the great AAR by V, sort of experienced a rebound, and ordered a few 20mm miniatures and a few vehicles just to paint up for fun (or something :-P).

Something that the author of KGN wrote on his blog made me do this, he wrote something that he wanted to create a game where you have tank battles with infantry support, not infantry battles with tank support, and I guess 20mm is better for this. Anyway, it was well written, and it sort of opend my eyes a bit.

No matter where I go with this, I will keep making 28mm stuff, and not divert too much in to the 20mm world, but try to have both. I mean, why not enjoy both scales? 28mm for skirmish and 20mm for company battles?

So with this in mind, I will end my mindless rantings. I am not sure this was any sort of advice what so ever, but its how I look at it.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Kampfgruppe Normandy in 28?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:50:37 PM »
My 2 cents, for what ever its worth.
Go with what you like. I enjoy painting and gaming 25/28mm. But will never turn down a game another scale.
I know that the cost figures plays into what scale one may use.
I have a friend that games in 54s, and he loves it.
Semper Fi, Mac