Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Robin Hood restarted on page 8 with more photos updated 13/10/13.  (Read 67363 times)

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
Robin Hood restarted on page 8 with more photos updated 13/10/13.
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »
Not sure if this should go here but I guess that would depend on which version you were to model. ;)
After a bit of thought and research I'm veering towards a Swashbuckling style. I've just watched season one of the BBC series but apart from the Castle, the Sherif and Much I did not really like it that much.
I also watched the Kevin Costner version which was ok and have Robin of Sherwood Series one to view. My brother and myself always called that the Gay version so I dont think I will like it that much either. I tried to watch the silent version a couple of times on Youtube but just could not get into it.
I cannot figure out what series I used to like as a lad as there seems to be many versions out there but maybe its just that I'm old is why I'm not getting into the whole thing.
I kind of regret not doing this years ago as I'm having a hard time getting hold of the GW versions of Robin and Little John. I dont really like the Friar Tuck model though and have better versions of him already.

This is what I have bought so far.
Marian (Mark Copplestone) Marian (North Star) Robin (North Star) Robin (Foundry) Sherif (North Star) Friar Tuck (Mark Copplestone) Friar Tuck (Shadow Forge?) Little John (Foundry) and a Black Tree Archer. I have quite a few more Black Tree models for Guards and the Merry Men.

For rules I am looking at The Lord of the Rings ruleset.

I am debating whether I should buy the GW Castle or build something myself which I guess is a question about time or money.

Any thoughts or advice? I'm getting bored painting Celts so may start this project sooner than I had planned.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:19:39 AM by Dan »

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Robin Hood
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:34:02 AM »
don't buy, build the castle! :)

I really like the overall team, all of them! :-*

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:47:43 AM »
Robin of Sherwood was my favourite TV version. I loved that. Don't remember it being particularly gay. It had Ray Winstone in it for, Christ's sake! And John Rhys-Davies as Richard the Lionheart. Great fun, with all the magic and devil-worship and stuff. Love it!

My big screen version of choice is the one with Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn and Robert Shaw. A much-ignored classic. Though if that Mediterranean-looking landscape is Nottinghamshire then I'm a Dutchman.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »
My personal favourite has to be Errol Flynn in those lovely technicolour tights and of course the dastardly Guy of Gisbourne Basil Rathbone :) or of course the films made during the 50s/60s with Richard Greene following the old TV series.

I was always partial to the GW set. If I recall Mark Copplestone sculpted a very nice Robin inspired archer for the old Grenadier Fantasy range, not sure who is currently selling those.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:16:07 AM »
I'm getting bored painting Celts so may start this project sooner than I had planned.

Too much tartan, eh...  lol

I actually think that the archery/shooting rules for LotR:SBG make shooting FAR too ineffective for a Robin Hood setting - unless you want to use some of the special rules associated with Legolas for most of the outlaws, or otherwise tweak them, that is.

I do like the rules as such for smaller skirmishes, as they permit a quite 'fluent' game, but I think you'll have to 'add flavour' for the subject involved.

I suddenly remember that I have an old GW blister with some Bretonnian characters, who resemble RH, LJ, and FT a lot...  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:59 AM »
Robin of Sherwood was my favourite TV version. I loved that. Don't remember it being particularly gay. It had Ray Winstone in it for, Christ's sake! And John Rhys-Davies as Richard the Lionheart. Great fun, with all the magic and devil-worship and stuff. Love it!

My big screen version of choice is the one with Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn and Robert Shaw. A much-ignored classic. Though if that Mediterranean-looking landscape is Nottinghamshire then I'm a Dutchman.

Ditto to both and I think the Connery one also has ronnie Barker as Tuck :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »
My personal favourite has to be Errol Flynn in those lovely technicolour tights and of course the dastardly Guy of Gisbourne Basil Rathbone :) or of course the films made during the 50s/60s with Richard Greene following the old TV series.

I was always partial to the GW set. If I recall Mark Copplestone sculpted a very nice Robin inspired archer for the old Grenadier Fantasy range, not sure who is currently selling those.

Mirliton
http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=the-merry-sherwood-company&cName=fantasy-2528mm-humans

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
Robin Hood, its Errol Flynn for me.
 Looks like you are off to a good start with the figures selected.
Look forward to your progress with painting them.
Have you any ideas for a campaign or will it be one off battles.
I have a very old Avalon Hill game titled "The Legend of Robin Hood."
I always wanted to use the game in a campaign.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
  • "Cthulhu fhtagn Ya'll!"
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »
Cool! Now this is an subject I would love to dabble in.
But as long as we're on the subject of Robin Hood Media, that Disney cartoon with the foxes gets my vote.

Wingnut

Wingnut
1st Citizen of Beaverlick,WY.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
Cool! Now this is an subject I would love to dabble in.
But as long as we're on the subject of Robin Hood Media, that Disney cartoon with the foxes gets my vote.

Wingnut

Splintered light minis if you want to go down that route...I loved it as a kid

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
Favourite Robin Hood movies, in descending order:
- Eroll Flynn's
- Richard Todd's
- Disney cartoon
- Richard Greene
- Kevin Costner
- The one with Uma Thurman as maid Marian
- Men in Tights
- Haven't even seen the Russel Crowe version

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
  • "Cthulhu fhtagn Ya'll!"
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
Already bought his entire line. Cute little critters locked in the horrors of gruesome carnage. The Juxtaposed slaughter of battle and whimsical musical montage.... Man I wish they made a roster with a lute.

Wingnut

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 05:39:38 PM »
I'd vote Flynn/Todd/Greene for gaming purposes.

For rules it might be worth converting Matakishi's Conan rules, probably much better than LoTR.

Otherwise, Gripping Beast are releasing a set of Dark Age skirmish rules "Saga" which play very well, but are aimed at 20-30 figures per side.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »
- Haven't even seen the Russel Crowe version

Quite a mistake in my humble opinion, as it has a nice twist in the story. When you watch it, you might go on a "Ahh-come-on-you-bloody-bastards-this-is-not-even-close-to-the-"classic"-Robin-Hood-tale!" rant (I sure did), but when you can make it through to the end of the movie it all becomes clear.
The movie does have some funny lines and scenes but not enough to make it something in the line of "Men in tights". For the more hack & slash oriented audience it has more than its share of fun.

So for me, the Russel Crow Robin Hood was quite a nice surprise and people should give it more credit. Push yourself to watch it and you might be in for a more than pleasant surprise.

von der Tann
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »
OK then, I will.  ;)